Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2017, 05:07 PM   #1

Starting to plan summer RV trip in VT, NH, ME...

Last year we did a big month long trip out west and had a great time - especially considering we have 3 kids and one dog and we were complete newbies!

This year we are thinking of another trip in July/early August, albeit a bit shorter and a lot less miles. We are thinking of traveling from our home state of western PA up through NY, then through VT, NH and stop in ME for about a week or so before heading south.

I am hoping to find a quiet nice campground in ME on the ocean and since our trip last year included absolutely NO plans, no reservations....I hope to actually try to plan for this year.

Anyone have any suggestions on routes, stops, campgrounds etc? We are VERY open. Thinking of traveling up past the finger lakes, then across northern NY. Other than that, no idea where we should go and what may be a good place to stop.

If anyone has done a trip through these areas and has any suggestions, I would love to hear them!!!

Thank you!

2002 F250 Diesel
irene67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2017, 08:56 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed at the Moorings Campground in Belfast ME a couple of years ago. It was quiet and picturesque. We only stayed one night, but thought it would be a good place to come back to.

In fact, this year we are going back to Bar Harbor and will be staying at the Bar Harbor Campground for a few nights. Bar Harbor Campground doesn't take reservations, so we'll stay at the Moorings the night before so we can get in early. I would also recommend Bar Harbor Campground, but it is a little noisier.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:22 AM   #3

I have been to Watkins Glen and enjoyed that trip very much. There is much to do in the area and the State Park has very nice campsites.
Mysterest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:37 AM   #4

Is not near the ocean but we started at Cupsuptic campground near Rangeley Maine last year in July. The lakes and mountains are beautiful.
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:11 AM   #5

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoyce View Post
We stayed at the Moorings Campground in Belfast ME a couple of years ago. It was quiet and picturesque. We only stayed one night, but thought it would be a good place to come back to.

In fact, this year we are going back to Bar Harbor and will be staying at the Bar Harbor Campground for a few nights. Bar Harbor Campground doesn't take reservations, so we'll stay at the Moorings the night before so we can get in early. I would also recommend Bar Harbor Campground, but it is a little noisier.
The Moorings is actually one place I have inquired into already but haven't heard back! Good to hear some feedback on it.

I am a little iffy about a no reservations place as I really want to actually know where we are going and when for this trip. Flying by the seat of our pants was kinda fun and very educational for our first trip....but I am not sure I want to do that again!

2002 F250 Diesel
Old 01-17-2017, 07:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterest View Post
I have been to Watkins Glen and enjoyed that trip very much. There is much to do in the area and the State Park has very nice campsites.
I have been to Watkins Glen a few times - but not with an RV. It is amazing!!!!

Any suggestions on a good RV park around that area?

2002 F250 Diesel
Old 01-17-2017, 07:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWJK55 View Post
Is not near the ocean but we started at Cupsuptic campground near Rangeley Maine last year in July. The lakes and mountains are beautiful.
I will look that up! Thank you!!

2002 F250 Diesel
Old 01-17-2017, 08:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
These sound like some great suggestions for this summer
Fred Edelkamp, USAF Combat Camera Retired driving "Bullwinkle" 2008 Monaco Diplomat 36PDQ | 400hp Cummins I6 Diesel Pusher | 1440W Solar | 800Ah LiFePO4 | RVi TPMS | Roadmaster Tow Bar | RVibrake3 | 2020 Ford F-150 | Palomino Backpack Truck Camper SS-1251
frede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:56 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Lake George RV Park in NY.

Mountain Lakes RV Park in NH.

Narrows II in Bar Harbor Me. This Park is right on the water.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:39 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I definitely want to tag on to this thread. I swear I could have wrote it myself as we plan on being in the same area at the same time. (maybe we should meet up). Although we may spend a few weeks in Nova Scotia and/or New Brunswick. Regardless, we're looking forward to going to that area since we've never been and any advice on the area is appreciated.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:33 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Danforth Bay CG in Freedom, NH. Very family friendly. It's located near the Maine border, about 2/3 up into NH. It's in the Lakes and White Mountains regions. Lots of great day trips.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:37 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
if your up in northern Vermont 4th of July, Apple island Resort in Hero for their fireworks display and celebrations if not stll a great place to explore the Champlain islands and Burlington,Sugar Ridge RV Park outside of St Johnsburt,VT,Fransted Family CG at the north end of Franconia Notch or Cannon MTN state Park(full hookups) not as busy as the CGs in North Conway,Ellocoya SP(fullhookups) on Lake Winnipesaukee,Camden Hills SP above Camden ,ME(water&elect), Shore Hills CG Boothbay ,ME just down the road is Boothbay RR Village, all are favorites of ours. Then theres Acadia, it really takes at least aweek to take in the sights there.For campgrounds there is Smugglers Den in Southwest Harbor,Bar Harbor CG(which is a first come CG),Haleys Point CG and Bar Harbor KOA($$$$) you can be right on the ocean there. there is also a new NP CG at Schoodic Pennisula,long drive thrus very scenic and quiet. all the CGs have free island bus connections and there is a ferry from Bar Harbor to Winter Harbor on Schoodic. Rt 2 will take you from Northern VT thru NH to Bangor. We take RTE 1 the coastal route up the Maine coast but its a local route might be a little much for your rig. During July-August especially weekend you should have reservations. :Signhavefun:
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Danforth Bay CG in Freedom, NH. Very family friendly. It's located near the Maine border, about 2/3 up into NH. It's in the Lakes and White Mountains regions. Lots of great day trips.
Oh thank you! I will check this out!!!

2002 F250 Diesel
Old 01-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-e-d View Post
if your up in northern Vermont 4th of July, Apple island Resort in Hero for their fireworks display and celebrations if not stll a great place to explore the Champlain islands and Burlington,Sugar Ridge RV Park outside of St Johnsburt,VT,Fransted Family CG at the north end of Franconia Notch or Cannon MTN state Park(full hookups) not as busy as the CGs in North Conway,Ellocoya SP(fullhookups) on Lake Winnipesaukee,Camden Hills SP above Camden ,ME(water&elect), Shore Hills CG Boothbay ,ME just down the road is Boothbay RR Village, all are favorites of ours. Then theres Acadia, it really takes at least aweek to take in the sights there.For campgrounds there is Smugglers Den in Southwest Harbor,Bar Harbor CG(which is a first come CG),Haleys Point CG and Bar Harbor KOA($$$$) you can be right on the ocean there. there is also a new NP CG at Schoodic Pennisula,long drive thrus very scenic and quiet. all the CGs have free island bus connections and there is a ferry from Bar Harbor to Winter Harbor on Schoodic. Rt 2 will take you from Northern VT thru NH to Bangor. We take RTE 1 the coastal route up the Maine coast but its a local route might be a little much for your rig. During July-August especially weekend you should have reservations. :Signhavefun:
Thank you!

2002 F250 Diesel