Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2022, 05:34 PM   #1
NXR

Staying in the Denver area in first half of June?

We've never been west of the Mississippi and live near Cleveland, OH. The son of friends is getting married in Denver in early June and we'd like to take the motorhome so we don't have to kennel the dog and because, well, we've never been west of the Mississippi.

The reception is at Balistreri Vineyards which appears to be near I-25 and I-76, if that helps.

We don't even know if scheduling something in that area is even possible during peak season but we're hoping people might offer some suggestions on where to stay in the general area. Right now I'm thinking a two-week stay would be good so we could explore some of the area.

We have a 38' Class A.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Denver.PNG
Views:	37
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	357914  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2022, 05:57 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We spent two week last summer in Chatfield State Park. Lots of campsites and a nice facility.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:02 PM   #3

We haven't stayed right in the congested Denver area but this site may help. Plug in some nearby towns.

https://www.campendium.com/colorado/westminster

Personally, after the wedding I'd move to a more scenic place in Colorado. If you stay in the city you're going to do a lot of driving in bad traffic. Since you've never been west you need to explore a little! Have fun!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 07:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
We've never been west of the Mississippi and live near Cleveland, OH. The son of friends is getting married in Denver in early June and we'd like to take the motorhome so we don't have to kennel the dog and because, well, we've never been west of the Mississippi.

The reception is at Balistreri Vineyards which appears to be near I-25 and I-76, if that helps.

We don't even know if scheduling something in that area is even possible during peak season but we're hoping people might offer some suggestions on where to stay in the general area. Right now I'm thinking a two-week stay would be good so we could explore some of the area.

We have a 38' Class A.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Ray
We've done a quite a few weddings - I'd call to see if you could stay at the Facility - enjoy the wedding and associated festivities dry camping with the Generator - then Head to the Mountains and see the Rockies. You might be surprised how easy the RV makes the Wedding - only thing to keep in mind is as you will likely be the after party and will need to concerve on the Water and your Tanks - Trust me they will fill fast with a wedding especially if there are a few pre parties.

I'd suggest Buena Vista and Salida as a great spot to spend the rest of your time. Head right out I-70 to Leadville on RT 91 then on south to BV or Salida or both.

Great area with more to see and do in a lifetime. Might try to get a couple more weeks if possible.

Lot of Great state Parks and also Possible to Catch RMNP if you wanted.

City of Golden has an in town park but it is hard to get in as it has been discovered - right on Clear Creek it's the Best (Helps that I have 4 Granddaughters that live close by -

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 07:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I spend a lot of time in Denver for work.

Make reservations now, or soon

Avoid Dakota Ridge
Old 02-28-2022, 10:15 PM   #6

You will be fairly disappointed in RV parks close to where your event is. Chatfield is way too far away from either Westminster, Thornton or Northglenn ( not sure what town the event is in). We were going to stay at Barr Lake one year and it was a dump. Maybe it’s better now? If it were me- I’d try take the suggestion to dry camp at the event, then get the h___ out of Denver and up to the mountains. Western slope is best. That’s anything west of the continental divide. Be careful to not get on anything to extreme for your rig or driving ability.
Travel safe.
Tonkexpress1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 10:16 AM   #7

Look on campgroundreviews.com. There are some places in the area, but maybe a little north and west. St. Vrain State Park and a couple smaller parks near Lyons. There's also some fairgrounds for short stays.

Do you tow? Driving around the city in your coach may be difficult.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 10:45 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I'll second Chatfield State Park. It's about a 30 minute drive from the Vineyards and it's one of the nicer parks in the area. All of the sites are off the side of the interior roads and you don't feel crowded next to someone at all. There's lots of space for the dog and some wildlife in the area.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 11:12 AM   #9

I’ll agree with Stang37 and LtDan -Chatfield would be my choice. We have stayed there before and I’d stay again. You’re out of the city, which is a big positive for me and on the reservoir. If you’re going west and little experience with (serious) mountain driving, just take your time. The pull from Denver up to Vail, on I70 is a long haul, so just be aware and the road is generally in pretty bad shape.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 11:22 AM   #10

Camping near Denver

Cherry Creek State park is very nice and not to far away. St Vrain also good choice but farther away. If you don’t make reservations now you may never get in. Entry fees are 10.00 a day no matter if you camp. (No charge for tow). Consider a yearly pass if you want to use parks more than a week. If you get stuck there is a county park in Elizabeth, Co that you can do on line. Nice small park at Elbert Co fairgrounds. Travato John
jl.kauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 10:46 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We live a couple of miles from Cherry Creek State park and I ride my bike through Chatfieild regulary. Have stayed at Cherry Creek a few times "Provisioning" for trips. One of the nicest places we have ever stayed, and Chatfield is even better. So, my travel plans are to stay at the best place near where I want to be, and deal with a little bit of driving to get where I want to go. If this fits your plan , then I would suggest you would have a great experience.
I have no idea what kind of rig you have or if you are towing, gasser or diesel, etc. around the front range is one thing, but if you wish to explore many of the exceptional places in Colorado, you should do some research. It is all doable, as we all have, but be prepared for some big pulls.
Gman1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 10:30 AM   #12
NXR

Thanks for all of the responses, folks. They were quite helpful.

We have a 38' gasser Class A towing a car.

Oddly, a fellow with Colorado plates pulled in next to us and it turns out he used to be a County Commissioner in whatever county Estes Park is in. He did not have any specific recommendations but thought we would still be able to find a place because July is their busy time. He said he never makes reservations when traveling west of the Mississippi but always has to east of the Mississippi.

Per RV Trip Wizard this would be a 1,350 mile trip from home to Cherry Creek State Park, CO, so about 7 or 8 days each way. That's definitely doable.

Thanks again,

Ray
Old 03-03-2022, 10:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post

Per RV Trip Wizard this would be a 1,350 mile trip from home to Cherry Creek State Park, CO, so about 7 or 8 days each way. That's definitely doable.

Thanks again,

Ray
1350 mi is a LOT less than 7-8 days each way. How many miles can you drive each day?

Also, if going to the Estes Park area I'd recommend reservations now. Things have changed over the past couple years.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:03 PM   #14
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies
1350 mi is a LOT less than 7-8 days each way. How many miles can you drive each day?
We're in a gasser.

200 to 250 is a good day. 320 is a long day. We need to do a dog stop at about 2 hours and need to fuel each day, both of which kill at least a half hour each. Plus we'd stop for two days about halfway on a trip that long and maybe twice to see things since we've never been in that area.

Quote:
Also, if going to the Estes Park area I'd recommend reservations now. Things have changed over the past couple years.
I'm not even sure where Estes Park is except that our kids stayed there in an AirBnB when they visited Rocky Mountain National Park last year.

A round trip like that at 6 MPG and $6 a gallon for gas would be close to $3,000 in fuel alone. Ugh, we drive almost that amount to go to Florida each winter but that's almost five months versus a one month trip.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ray