Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2022, 11:52 AM   #1

Stock Island Key West Florida

I have reservations at Leo's Campground on Stock Island Key West. Has anyone stayed there? just looking at Google Earth, it doesn't look like an easy place to get into with a 36 foot Fifth Wheel. If you have stayed there please give me any information you can/

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2022, 05:10 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysman View Post
I have reservations at Leo's Campground on Stock Island Key West. Has anyone stayed there? just looking at Google Earth, it doesn't look like an easy place to get into with a 36 foot Fifth Wheel. If you have stayed there please give me any information you can/

Thanks.
We drove thru it last week and we will not fit. Our rig is just too large for it.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 05:52 AM   #3

We have not stayed there, but driven by many times..... it will be a real tight squeeze for a 36 ft RV. Most sites are pretty tiny. Take a look on google earth and use the measuring tool (looks like a ruler icon) to check it out yourself.
PanJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:57 PM   #4

If you told them you have a 36-foot fifth-wheel, they won't put you in a site that won't fit a 36-foot fifth-wheel. You don't need to measure the sites.

But you're right--it's not an easy place to get into with a big rig. We stayed there recently in a 40-foot motorhome. I backed in from the street and it was straightforward, but it's possible maneuvering could be complicated by how other people are parked in their sites.

A guy in a fifth-wheel (I'm guessing at least 35 feet) moved into the site next to mine one morning and asked me to move my car (which was fully in my site) so he could get in. I didn't mind doing it, even though I thought his stated plan to pull in past his site and back in around the laundry room wasn't sound. And sure enough, he tried it and failed, and last I saw he was going back out, to back in from the street. When I got back that night, he was ensconced, with his truck parked in the extra parking area in back.

We didn't talk to anybody in the office when we arrived, but I would imagine they have a lot of experience helping people get into their sites, so you might check with them when you arrive. The street it's on is a dead end and has very little traffic. There are a couple of businesses on one side that I'm sure are used to people backing big rigs into Leo's, and surely the people staying at Leo's aren't going to sit there and honk. So backing in from the street is no big deal, and this is coming from someone who HATES blocking traffic.

I do wonder, however, what my new neighbor would have done if I hadn't been there to move my car; he got there just minutes before I was taking off on my bicycle. Then again, having my car there might have forced him to do it right the first time.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida