Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2021, 07:06 AM   #1

Suggestions for a trip to the mountains. Orlando to ?

Would like to plan next year's vacation, mid June time frame. We'd like to take our travel trailer to a place like Hellen or something like that. No boondocking. Resorts/State parks is our preference.

Just using Hellen as an example because its about 550 miles from my house, and I think that's the most I'd care to drive in a single day. Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama work too. I use "mountains" in a generic way since Florida is pretty flat, so anything counts as a mountain. It might be possible to stretch this into a 10 day trip, with 1 or 2 stops at different places to make a circle back home.

Looking for suggestions. We like to hike, have a kayak and a 12-year old daughter. Also our 3 dogs so we're looking for pet friendly destinations. Our trailer is about 26 feet long, and towing with a Ram 2500 so there should be no size restrictions to worry about.

Thanks for any suggestions.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2021, 07:34 AM   #2

Kids totally enjoy this park in Indiana.

https://www.turkeyrunstatepark.com/

mud stomping along the trails and such, lots of nice hikes some loops with ladders and or stairs, generally a great time. Bring mud stomping old sneakers or water shoes and change of clothes a plenty. Lots of wild life along the trails as well and at times in the campground. Nice clean facilities when we went. Kids are young adults and still talk about our two visits there!
Old 06-28-2021, 09:49 AM   #3

Cleveland, Ga. is a good base on the southern edge of the North Georgia mountains. You can easily reach the Appalachian Trail and there are a number of other hikes in the area.

Helen is the Disney version of an alpine village; lots of souvenir shops, t-shirt shops etc, mobs of turistas. What's to do is tubing down the Chattahoochee River. The Hooch up there is shallow with a rocky bottom; I don't know about kayaking. There are a couple of tubing business that take you out and pick you up. Take your vehicle north of Helen and go to Clingman's Dome, the highest point in Georgia; it has an observation platform on top.

If you're a masochist go through Atlanta. Otherwise, get off I-75 at Macon and take US-129/441 through Eatonton, around Athens etc, then US-441 to Cornelia and from there go over to Cleveland. I've done US-441 all the way from Lake City but I wasn't in any hurry. Stop for the night around McRae. Little Ocmulgee SP is good.

Up US-129 from Cleveland is Vogel SP but Neel's Gap will make things really interesting for a flatlander. I'd do it as a day trip from Cleveland.

You could continue up US-441 and go to Cherokee, Nc., there are a couple of CGs there. I did it years ago in a car and don't recall any really exciting grades or hairpins but that's just from a car perspective.

Yonah Mountain Campground - Yonah Mountain Campground Home
Old 06-28-2021, 10:05 AM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
Suggest you take a look at River Bend Campground in Hiawassee (riverbendcamping.com) We have stayed there numerous times. FHU and strong wifi. Large sites many on the river if you call early enough for your reservations.
Pool and river for swimming.
I might call a few months early if I were driving from Florida. Best call and explain to the lady what you goal is and she will work with you on a suitable site. The best sites are in "the new section"
There are lots of activities in this area of N Georgia and western NC
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
Cleveland, Ga. is a good base on the southern edge of the North Georgia mountains. You can easily reach the Appalachian Trail and there are a number of other hikes in the area.

Helen is the Disney version of an alpine village; lots of souvenir shops, t-shirt shops etc, mobs of turistas. What's to do is tubing down the Chattahoochee River. The Hooch up there is shallow with a rocky bottom; I don't know about kayaking. There are a couple of tubing business that take you out and pick you up. Take your vehicle north of Helen and go to Clingman's Dome, the highest point in Georgia; it has an observation platform on top.

If you're a masochist go through Atlanta. Otherwise, get off I-75 at Macon and take US-129/441 through Eatonton, around Athens etc, then US-441 to Cornelia and from there go over to Cleveland. I've done US-441 all the way from Lake City but I wasn't in any hurry. Stop for the night around McRae. Little Ocmulgee SP is good.

Up US-129 from Cleveland is Vogel SP but Neel's Gap will make things really interesting for a flatlander. I'd do it as a day trip from Cleveland.

You could continue up US-441 and go to Cherokee, Nc., there are a couple of CGs there. I did it years ago in a car and don't recall any really exciting grades or hairpins but that's just from a car perspective.

Yonah Mountain Campground - Yonah Mountain Campground Home

Great info but clingman dome is not in ga. It is north of Cherokee in the great smokies in TN. It is the highest in TN. I think you meant to say Brasstown Bald. It is the one just north of Helen. It is the highest in GA.

441 from Cherokee through the park is a major mountain. Not for the weak of heart in a rv or pulling an rv.

If you need any info about the Blairsville/ Young Harris / Hiawassee area just ask.
Chuck1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 10:25 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
Would like to plan next year's vacation, mid June time frame. We'd like to take our travel trailer to a place like Hellen or something like that. No boondocking. Resorts/State parks is our preference.

Just using Hellen as an example because its about 550 miles from my house, and I think that's the most I'd care to drive in a single day. Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama work too. I use "mountains" in a generic way since Florida is pretty flat, so anything counts as a mountain. It might be possible to stretch this into a 10 day trip, with 1 or 2 stops at different places to make a circle back home.

Looking for suggestions. We like to hike, have a kayak and a 12-year old daughter. Also our 3 dogs so we're looking for pet friendly destinations. Our trailer is about 26 feet long, and towing with a Ram 2500 so there should be no size restrictions to worry about.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are great destinations. Plenty for a 12-year-old to do in Pigeon Forge area. One thing our grandson loved was the go-cart tracks, so many to pick from, he tried to do all of them!!! It will be a busy time of year, but we love the area. We are planning a return for September time period this year.
Numerous campgrounds, we have stayed at several in the area. This trip we will be at Clabough's Campground.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 02:46 PM   #7

I prefer to run US441 from FL to NC. It's an easy drive. Just take the Athens By-Pass to the WEST side of Athens. I've been on all of US 441 except the section south of W Palm Beach. Lots of small towns but not a lot to slow you down. I used to run between Cordele GA (I-75 Ex 101) to Franklin, NC on US 441 often. It added miles to the trip over going thru Atlanta but cut an hour off the time (due to traffic delays). Make reservations. The mountains get busy during the summer. Where you can actually get reservations at will determine where you stay. Unicoi is a nice SP. Lots of others in the general area too. Tallulah Gorge SP has nice hiking and a nice swimming beach. World Class kayaking there too. Close enough you can daytrip to Helen. Daytrip up to the ruby mines in Franklin and get filthy looking for gemstones (Mason's Mine and Sheffield Mine both are native only, all the rest are salted). If you do gem mining (aka, play in the mud) take old worn out clothes (thrift store clothes) and throw them in the garbage when done. https://gastateparks.reserveamerica....archResults.do
LMHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 04:36 PM   #8

Yep, Brasstown is correct. My error.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:50 PM   #9

Chattanooga, TN is probably within your driving distance also, and should have activities for your family.
550 miles in one day is a very long trip for most people; well for me it is.
Don't go to Helen. I lived for a little while in Cleveland and for four years in Dahlonega. Yonah Mountain Campground in Cleveland is a fairly good place to base yourselves for touring around. There you are close to Helen, Dahlonega, good mountain drives with beautiful scenery, waterfalls, etc.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 01:44 PM   #10

Asheville, NC is a nice destination - lakes and rivers for kyaking. No Disney or Pigeon Forge type of entertainment, but Biltmore, Moog Museum, and some other sites.

It is a little further - about 584 miles but not a bad drive.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
Asheville, NC is a nice destination - lakes and rivers for kyaking. No Disney or Pigeon Forge type of entertainment, but Biltmore, Moog Museum, and some other sites.

It is a little further - about 584 miles but not a bad drive.
We stop in Asheville for a week on our way to Maine. Lots to do in the area. Downtown Asheville has a bunch of great breweries and restaurants. The Blueridge Parkway literally goes thru town for easy access to many scenic areas. Lots of waterfalls to hike to nearby. On the way back to Fl at the end of summer, we sometimes stop at Maggie Valley. Also lots to do in that area.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
We stop in Asheville for a week on our way to Maine. Lots to do in the area. Downtown Asheville has a bunch of great breweries and restaurants. The Blueridge Parkway literally goes thru town for easy access to many scenic areas. Lots of waterfalls to hike to nearby. On the way back to Fl at the end of summer, we sometimes stop at Maggie Valley. Also lots to do in that area.
Also the Moose Cafe with hands down the best biscuits and apple butter anywhere. Doesn't hurt it is located adjacent to the NC Farmers Market. I was also happy to see that the Isis Music Hall weathered the pandemic.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote