RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2020, 03:02 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Suggestions for Route from Detroit to Hershey, PA

In September of this year, we are hoping to visit some of my wife's family in the Detroit area. We will be traveling in our 34' DP pulling our Bronco II. I am looking for suggestions for the best route from Ypsalanti, MI to Hersheypark. Right now, I am looking at a route which would take the Ohio Toll Road basically from Toledo to Youngsville, OH and then get on I-80 going east thru Pennsylvania. Google Maps wants me to exit I-80 at Exit 161 to head south to Harrisburg, PA. This would put me on I-99 then PA 144 then US 322/22 then I-83 and then back on US 322. The part that concerns me the most is PA 144 which looks to be a two lane highway with no shoulders and at least one steep grade with a truck speed limit of 20MPH. This is our first time in this area with the RV so is there a better route? I appreciate any and all suggestions.

----- Jim

Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 06:31 AM   #2

if your willing to pay the steep toll on the pa turnpike it connects directlly to the ohio turnpike. take turnpike east to hershey exit. taking 80 is way out of your way but free.
if you do take 80 get off on 15 south new columbia. 15 south to 81 to hershey exit

jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:44 AM   #3

I think that the PA toll is about $28.00 for coach and toad from 70 to the Harrisburg exit.
Nightshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:08 AM   #4

there is a toll estimator on their web site. goes by weight number of axles and distance traveled. tolls are set to rise again soon. without ez pass the price is pretty high.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I appreciate all the replies. We experienced the cost of the Pennsylvania Turnpike about 3 years ago going from Ohio to New Jersey and we are not going to pay those high rates (for MH and toad) again if we can avoid it. After looking over the different state restrictions on travelers last night, we are going to changes our plans and not head east from Detroit. We are exploring options to the west or possibly head to other states closer to home in the south.

Thanks again for the recommendations but we'll plan to go to Hershey in some other year after this virus is more manageable.

------ Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:03 PM   #6

wait until the sturgis bike rally is over than head for south dakota.spent 10 days there in early june. wayyyy better than hershey believe me.

Tags
route