Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2020, 06:54 AM   #1

Suggestions on locations within 2 hours of NYC

I hope this request isn’t too far out there, but I have a major surgery scheduled next month and had originally planned on staying at an ”affordable” location before the outbreak; however, the location is now refusing reservations since I’m traveling from AL regardless of isolation since and before the outbreak (work from home and limited social life) I have a resirator mask (paint work and sheetrock) and I’m a first responder so I have taken all the airborne, hazzards, and decon courses. Still no luck on finding a new spot to park.

The surgeons office stated that I need to be 1 hour from manhattan, but will allow 1.5 hours.

I’ll need to stay somewhere for 3 weeks at the minimum or possibly a week extra depending on how things go.

Are there some locations in any directions that are suggested? My parents will be with me on the trip and they are all quite new to rvs so I know they will not be able to move every 2 weeks since it may be too complicated for them. Once I’m out of surgery and off the loopy meds, perhaps I can walk them through it if need be.

Or if anyone has acreage and doesn’t mind a 37-38’ motorhome parked for a little time, that would be a huge help.

Free or cheap is good...

Thank you for any suggestions!!
adavis32504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2020, 08:14 AM   #2

Not opposed to boondocking. Just need a place to park and fill water jugs
Old 09-09-2020, 01:25 PM   #3

Here's the perfect spot for the city but it's not all that affordable:

https://wheelingit.us/2017/11/15/re-...y-with-the-rv/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:41 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might talk with the social services department of the hospital. When I had surgery with a week stay the hospital had a couple of RV sites, with hookups, in the parking lot. If those had been taken, they would have found a boondock space for us. Of course, this was In Portland, OR, not in NYC.
Can you be within 2 hours by train? Maybe that would get you more options.
Good luck with your search and swift recovery.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Here's the perfect spot for the city but it's not all that affordable:

https://wheelingit.us/2017/11/15/re-...y-with-the-rv/
First off, thank you for the replies and well wishes, I do appreciate the help.

I did consider the Liberty Harbor location for the proximity to the medical facilities and quick access to downtown, but it's not possible for the budget and also trying to drive a 38' motorhome out of a congested area like that so soon after surgery may be a bad idea for me and certainly impossible for my parents. If traffic were no issue and a simple drive, my parents could handle it in the event I'm unable to drive.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to visit their location in the future when I can afford it and once I'm well recovered from surgery.

I do believe 2 hours by train would be allowed, but I'll have to be very cautious as any bouncing around could cause significant problems from what I'm told.

I have one prospective spot, but it's 2 hours by car as a backup. I suppose if there is an emergency to where I have to get to their facility quickly I can do the air evac with the FMCA if it's that bad. I parked at this spot a few nights about 3 weeks ago for some preliminary exams and was awoken with an air evac going on across the road.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:23 PM   #6

What about getting a room near the hospital and drive your car in?

Some RV parks have a storage lot but you'd probably have to stay on a site first and also after your return for a couple days before they'd store it for you. Explain your problem & it may be doable. You could do that 2 or 3 hr. away and perhaps take a train into the city or even drive a car.

Are you from the city? Just wondering why you're having surgery in such an out-of-the-way, inconvenient place for you.

Any way you do it, I believe it's going to be expensive.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:28 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We stayed at Black Bear Campground in Florida, NY about 1 hour from Manhattan. Very nice rural area. Pricey at $480 per week right now.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:12 AM   #8

There is a county park in Old Bethpage NY on Long Island that is very nice with water and 50 amp plus onsight dump stations. I don't know if they limit length of stay. I have never stayed longer than one week or so. Of course on the way in and out you would have to cross the GW Bridge which is a pain in the ars.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Iíve stayed at Liberty Harbor at least five times. Well worth it if your plan is to go into the City.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:49 AM   #10

Near NYC

Timothy Lake South is in the Poconos and near a commuter parking lot with bus service into the City. (My guess is that it is a 2 hour trip each way). The campground is FHU and very quiet, would be a refuge from the big city but a long trip.

The county park at Old Bethpage is about $40 night and near rail service to Manhattan. Again, by the time you go the rail station, take the train, go to your appointment, you're looking at 2 hours.

I'm from MN, too bad you couldn't find services in MN, a much easier camping situation and almost everything you could need for medical. (Mayo clinic etc.)

Liberty Harbor would be the easiest, a quick ferry ride across the Hudson River to Manhattan. And open decks make for safer travel with regard to the virus.

If you get desperate, try parking in East Brunswick NJ, about 45 minutes via car from Manhattan. I looked into it once and Walmart might work, I used to live there!
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:18 AM   #11

Thank you for all the places to check, but I’m afraid every place I call won’t accept a reservation since I’m traveling from Alabama and it’s a state on the travel restrictions due to how many cases are going on. I hope that AL will get off the restricted list, but I highly doubt that will happen before the trip.

It seems as if every campground is out of the question since they risk getting shut down if they allow me to stay. Even if I go for testing to prove I’m not infected, they still won’t allow me to enter.

Basically, my only alternative would be some private party that won’t mind an rv parked in their yard or field. Doubtful I’ll find that being so close to surgery.

Due to health reasons I can’t put the surgery off any longer, driving into the city and staying at a hotel isn’t an option since they say 3-4 weeks minimum before I can drive a car. I know my parents can’t handle city driving let alone NYC. I wouldn’t even try it myself. That would also still leave them in the same situation of nowhere to park the motorhome, I could try to fly in, but if I get exposed I will be denied entry to the facility. Also I have to stay within 1 hour of manhattan for 2 weeks so that’s going to be out of the question for my budget.

I truly thank you guys for trying to help and offering suggestions!!

Tags
cat