Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2020, 06:56 PM   #1

Summer in CO

Looking for campground ideas for summer in CO. We enjoy easy to moderate hikes, seeing new sights, shopping and eating local. I’d love suggestions for interesting places and campgrounds for a 40 ft 5th wheel. Thank you!
Lovemywesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2020, 08:09 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemywesty View Post
Looking for campground ideas for summer in CO. We enjoy easy to moderate hikes, seeing new sights, shopping and eating local. I’d love suggestions for interesting places and campgrounds for a 40 ft 5th wheel. Thank you!
We were in Colorado this Summer. Are you looking for full hook-ups, is price important and do you have anything specific that you want to see while there?

I can highly recommend the Ouray RV Park and Cabins if you're looking for a full service park. It's right on the river, and easy walk into town and a bunch of great hikes around the area. They call Ouray the "Switzerland of the Rockies" for good reason. It's kinda touristy but a very nice place.

For lower cost solutions, we really enjoyed the area around Blue Mesa Reservoir and found some dry camping spots that were pretty cool at Lake Fork.

For pur boondocking there is a bunch of great stuff around the Creed area up the Rio Grande river.......Colorado is AWESOME!!!
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:59 PM   #3

If southwestern CO is of interest, I'd recommend looking at Mountain Views RV Park/Resort in Creede as one destination for a week or so. Beautiful scenery and a top shelf RV park in the Rio Grande valley; the river runs right by the resort. Very small but nice little historic mining town with a few neat shops. Great opportunity for OHV trails up to about 12,000 feet and/or Jeep rentals.

We're headed back next summer....will make 3 years in a row to the area and 2nd time to stay at Mountain Views.
RVnAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:35 PM   #4

I’ll be sure to check out your suggestions. Full hookup aren’t a necessity but they are nice! Thank you!
Old 09-15-2020, 10:51 PM   #5

Zero in on a particular area in Colorado and perhaps we can help more. Are you talking of staying all summer in one park?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:01 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Other than K City I can’t find much about you or your rig. Guessing you are new to RVing so more comfortable having advance reservations...not our style. This past summer was busier than normal out West... hard to get reservations on short notice. Fortunately we mainly stay in Public CGs that do not take reservations. CO is a big state and assuming you haven’t spent much time there, I would divide your time (how long?) into 4 areas. Will wait for more info from you.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemywesty View Post
Colorado is easy - BUT -You need to give the group more info if you want us to give you anything meaningful in the way of suggestions that are helpful.

Another option would do do a search on the area or on your personal desires, include two Gypsies in the search and you should discover a wealth of info.

We have been searching for that perfect spot for 25 years - - think we find a new one almost every year - - best things we have found is if you get into the mountains - find the locals - just ask, they are great, the people, and the Rocks are All just unbelievable - Wild West is still up north in Steamboat and Craig - Ouray is little Switzerland- Creed is still fairly wild and has a lot of Texas - I-70 is ski country - probably the simplest easiest spot might be the Collegiate's - Leadville - Twin Lakes - Buena Vista - Salida - great people - not too far drives - trails - forests - streams - vistas - passes -on and on..........and if you go right now -ASPEN turning Gold.

We are in Kansas heading there for a week before we spend a week in Ridgway SP and the San Juan’s in search of that perfect place.

So give us a little more insight to what you are searching for and this group will help,fill in the blanks.

Welcome to iRV2 great resource and a pretty knowledgeable group.

Best of Luck, and enjoy Colorado - every road will uncover something new and exciting.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:02 PM   #8

Probably be there for a month. We don’t mind moving. Probably central to east side in the mountains.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:06 PM   #9

We have a 40 ft fifth wheel, and make reservations ahead of time. We’ve been to Estes and Castlerock in campgrounds. We’ve been traveling for four years but not full time. We are not equipped to boondock.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Buena Vista lets you day trip to Taylor Park/Crested Butte, Leadville, Aspen.

South Fork lets you do Pagsoa Springs, Creede Lake City... lots of folks from TX.

A small quiet generator (Honda) will let you dry camp in CO as with elevation and shade, you do not need AC... plenty of that in CO. Instead of the first picture ($50+) you can go to the 2nd which was free.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	905B9C5D-D813-4817-A69E-E07E95972A0E.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	301376   Click image for larger version

Name:	4DB0B455-02B6-4D4C-8F0C-9982241E8C47.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	511.6 KB
ID:	301377  

Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:14 PM   #11

If you like to make reservations and can get by with 30 amp electric, check out the USFS campgrounds between Almont and Taylor Park. Lakeview, Lottis Creek, OneMile all have electric sites, pullthrus, there are water spigots in the campgrounds, but no dump, we've stayed at lottis and Onemile, with plenty of room for our rig (see sig) plus 16' ATV trailer. In the Silverton area we like the old Eureka townsite, new owners have added electric but there is no water. stayed there in '18. their website: www.eurekacampground.com
Old 11-10-2020, 04:05 PM   #12

Wink Deciding where to go in Colorado

I have been compiling all the ideas I’ve gotten and I have more of a plan. Here’s the beginning, Grand Junction to Ouray and down to Durango. (Would you travel the million dollar highway from Ridgeway to Durango pulling a 40 ft fifth wheel or would you bypass 550 and take 62 and 145?) Then Durango to Southfork. (Creede too),Buena vista ,Salida, Canon City and Colorado Springs. Ideas for good campgrounds wth FHU or at least electricity, water, and dump station. No boondocking. Of course, sight seeing adventures that we shouldn’t miss!
Old 11-10-2020, 04:13 PM   #13

...lots of opinions on taking route 550 with an RV--people do it all the time--I have before and wont do it again--not worth it! Sounds like a great travel plan--only issue is how much the continuing threat of forest fires every summer will impact your plans...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:12 PM   #14

From your Profile it looks like you may be starting in Kansas City and will have a month to do this. The stops I'd suggest would be on I-70 at Glenwood Springs or Rifle State Park at Rifle (FHU/ big sites) if ready to stop after the Denver mess. Then on to Ridgeway State Park - the riverside FHU sites are very nice and large close to Ouray and from there do day trips to Silverton and even down to Durango. Since you have a 5th wheel you won't be driving any of the 4x4 roads out of Ouray/Silverton but there are some good easier gravel roads from both that would be enjoyable. Stop at the Visitor Centers for siteseeing information. Other day trips from there could be Telluride (ride the chair lift), to Montrose and the Black Canyon Nat'l Park.

550 is doable with a RV and many do it, including us. However, if you're not at ease driving steep mountain roads then I'd advise you skip it with the RV. It's more tense from north to south than south to north. Take only the truck, instead. It's a must do!!!! Silverton is a fun authentic western town and you could drive to the ghost town and do the gold mine tour with your truck.

Then take 62/145 to Cortez. Mesa Verde Nat'l Park is there and plenty of RV parks nearby. There's also Canyons of the Ancients Nat'l Monument nearby and Anasazi Heritage Center.

If you had already done a day trip to Durango from Ridgeway/Ouray area then head straight to Pagosa Springs and do some nice relaxing soaks in the immaculate concrete pools of varying temperatures overlooking the river and town. Very nice. Pack a cooler and spend the whole 2-3 hours there.

You'll need the pool relaxation because next you'll be driving Wolf Creek Pass on 160 to South Fork. It's another biggie but not as 'technical' as Hwy 550 out of Ouray. It's 2-3 lanes.

Stay in South Fork and do a day trip to Creede (very tiny) and Lake City. If taking the RV you'll have Slumgulion Pass - another biggie. Another day trip would be Great Sand Dunes Nat'l Park or you could also do it from Buena Vista.

From South Fork take 160/112/285 north and stay in Buena Vista. From there do day trips on Cottonwood Pass to Taylor Park Reservoir and even over to Crested Butte - a cute town; go up to Leadville and perhaps to Royal Gorge.

Leaving Buena Vista you could take 24 into Colorado Springs and on to Limon, CO at I-70.

I'd recommend you get the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers' to give you a heads up on the mountain passes you'll be driving.

This is a good review site for RV parks in those areas: http://www.campgroundreviews.com/

You might need another month!! Have fun... they are favorite places of ours.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote