Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2021, 04:52 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulers View Post
Thanks for the write up. We love staying near the coast but usually end up at a state park. Years back we did stay at the Chula Vista Rv Resort and enjoyed it. BTW that link for Rvnchick did not work for me.
Thanks for the heads up, I will check the link.
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2021, 05:03 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
I found their rules and regulations. You just need to be RVIA certified, and have no exterior damage. I wonder if faded decals is considered exterior damage? Probably.
Now you are just nit picking, and you would be wrong. The 5th wheel parked right across from me for the whole week was at least 25 years old. A little weathered, a little dull, but completely functional. And in touring the place on my bike about a 100 times in the week, there were RV's of every description from pop up's and truck campers to Prevost's.

You seem intent making a major deal about what it costs to stay there. It's not a big deal. Most of the RV's there this weekend were smaller rigs with young family's, just there to enjoy themselves.

I stay in $20 rustic campgrounds all the time. They are wonderful for their own amenities. Sometimes I don't. Let it go.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
Now you are just nit picking, and you would be wrong. The 5th wheel parked right across from me for the whole week was at least 25 years old. A little weathered, a little dull, but completely functional. And in touring the place on my bike about a 100 times in the week, there were RV's of every description from pop up's and truck campers to Prevost's.

You seem intent making a major deal about what it costs to stay there. It's not a big deal. Most of the RV's there this weekend were smaller rigs with young family's, just there to enjoy themselves.

I stay in $20 rustic campgrounds all the time. They are wonderful for their own amenities. Sometimes I don't. Let it go.
You're right, I'll let it go, and I'm not really trying to make a big deal. Just a discussion on the nature of the way RV campgrounds are going these days. You guys have a good time, though I still wouldn't trade spots with you

By the way I live at the beach so I tend to go inland when I camp. Been to Havasu many many times with my boat, I'll bet it's really low now. We need to get some rain pronto!
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:26 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up, I will check the link.
For some reason, when I put the address in with the hyper link, the address fails. When I type in the link into the address bar, it works every time
Old 06-21-2021, 10:50 AM   #19

Just an FYI: we have been asked many times what year our rig is as many parks have restrictions on how old they can be, especially those we stayed at in California. (We are former California residents and now live in Nevada.)
6jsgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:01 AM   #20

Thanks for the info. We will be staying at a mix of local parks and campgrounds with a few resorts thrown in for good measure on our trip to CA this winter. Sun Resorts is an interesting group of campgrounds. Several we have stayed in would hardly be what I would call a resort, but, it is their property their name.

I received an email from them yesterday, they have started a rewards program. Great, Since we have 3 extended stays in past years that will not be counted.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:06 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
I received an email from them yesterday, they have started a rewards program. Great, Since we have 3 extended stays in past years that will not be counted.
And be advised that as it is still a pilot program there are only 6 of their campgrounds included in the program! And this resort is not one of them!
Old 06-22-2021, 04:39 PM   #22

Thank you for the informative write up.
Old 06-27-2021, 05:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Sun Outdoors
San Diego Bay
Chula Vista, Ca
As always, a great trip report from you SargeW!

We will be there in a week or so, paying about $120/night on a nightly, not weekly, rate. Definitely pricey but we knew what we were getting in to, and sometimes you try new things! When we booked this place I could literally watch the sites get reserved in real time....

EDIT to add:
Sometime maybe we will catch up to you in our travels. It seems I am often a couple weeks behind wherever you have been.
Also, relative to SD accommodations for fourth of July week ... I am pretty content. I don't need to stay in BLM land EVERY time out.

And SargeW, any guess from you on when that restaraunt will be open? They are saying Mid July last I read.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:51 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Jack! I appreciate the kind words. No info on the restaurant though. They were still using a variety of different food trucks while we were there. They were getting good reviews from those that patronized them though.

We are currently in Colorado. I will be adding a review for Glenwood Springs Co. KOA in a few days.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Sun Outdoors
San Diego Bay
Chula Vista, Ca

After dealing with some serious heat already in Lake Havasu City, AZ we decided to start the first leg of this trip off in a cooler location. This is a brand new resort owned by the corporation Sun Resorts. They have bought and remodeled several other parks recently, but this one was built from the ground up. It is just about a mile from Chula Vista RV resort, a location that they also bought a while back. Chula Vista RV resort is due to be closed in October of this year, and what the plans are for that location I am not sure of.

This is a first rate resort with amenities and prices to match. The RV sites are all the same size, (45' +) concrete pads and large patio's with colored concrete to boot. All sites have gas fire pits with the difference being that in the “standard” rate sites the fire pit doesn't include the propane bottle to fire it up. You can get a bottle from them, (a deposit + a propane fee is charged) or you can use your own. The standard sites have a picnic table and chairs around the fire pit.

A premium site has an outdoor dining table with chairs instead of the picnic table, and may also have propane included, or some have natural gas plumbed to the fire pit. An “Elite” site will also include a full size “grill station” that includes fuel to run it. Pricing for all the sites is “dynamic” which means that site prices vary not only by location (water front views of the bay or ocean are on the perimeter and the most expensive) but also changes from weekday to weekend or holidays.

We had a standard back in interior site which was the least expensive of the bunch, and we paid a weekly rate that was $98 a day during the week, and $122 on the weekend days. Non weekly rate would be higher.

What you get for that price is a large pool, 2 hot tubs, a splash pad for the kids, arcade and game rooms, Community Center, Clubhouse, several outdoor sports and recreation areas, and a restaurant (not open yet). There are also 40 “Cottages” for rent which are 1 or 2 bedroom, some with a loft and outside view deck. The gym is amazing, with one whole glass wall that opens to the outside with a view of the bay. All exercise equipment is new and plentiful.

Bathrooms are well appointed and handicapped accessible. Wifi is included throughout the park, and you can pay an additional fee for faster speeds. Our T-Mobile worked great here, with 5G speeds of over 150 meg download. There are two dog parks, both with artificial turf, trees and seating. So although not cheap, this truly is a real resort in every sense. The temps while we were here hovered in the low 70's with ocean breezes everyday.

The only negatives I can come up with is there is traffic noise from Interstate 5 and the metro trains run by often, so you can hear the dinging of the bells on the trains as they cross intersections. Both are about ¼ mile from the park, so it's not overwhelming. All utilities worked well, water pressure is a bit on the low side at 40 psi at the hose bib. Sites are surrounded by smooth small gravel and several plants and young trees. Be careful backing in to your site if you have a longer rig, as each site has a number post in front that is close to the street.

Next to the park is the “Living Coast Discovery Center”. There is a variety of live birds, reptiles, and fish on display, and is pretty interesting for the whole family. Normally it is $16 admission for adults, but with proof of registration at the park, entry is free (we used our vehicle window tag for entry.) You do have to take a free shuttle that picks up right outside the gate of the RV park to take you to the center and returns you as well. There are also some walking trails there with info on the bay, and the old “Gunpowder factory” that was on the site in the 1920's.

Coronado island is close and we drove over one day for lunch and to walk around the historic “Hotel Del Coronado”. There are also bike trails which we rode one day to various locations on the bay front, and hundreds of shops within a few miles that are all open and hungry for visitors after the Covid shutdown. A few places still required face masks to enter but mostly it was all optional now. None are required at the RV park, and it is optional if you desire.

This was a great first stop to get this years journey off right. Pricey, but worth it.
Diane's new travel blog is also up and running, the link is at the bottom of the page.
After spending a week here, I can confirm that SargeW nailed it with the tone and tenor of his report above.

We booked 5 days. The San Diego weather is hard to leave, however, so we extended 2 more nights (and had to move sites). Unfortunately we have to head back to 115 degrees now.

Some personal observations, some of which "contradict" or elaborate on what Sarge said above:

The cafe is now open, but does not yet have the liquor license. "Very soon" I am told. In the mean time, we had several items which were all fine, if small portioned for the price. We discretely BYOBed or took it back to our site.

We stayed in two different sites, which were identical except for location and price. The Elite's along the back would be quite desirable with a view in the distance of the bay.

It's expensive. This is not debatable, but it should be left to the RVer to decide whether it presents fair value. For many it will, as evidenced by the packed weekend crowd. It is obvious many families are using it as a group vacation opportunity - gathering at a common site and retreating to their own at the end of evening. Quiet time ends at 11 PM, and seemed to be adhered to pretty universally. Lots of kids.

It's very very nice. This is also not debatable. Part of this is because the facility is brand new, but the planners gave thought to every design decision they made, and it shows. Example: as SargeW said, the bathrooms are immaculate ... but he failed to note that there are no trash cans in them. This is a conscious decision that leads to a clean, streamlined experience ... but an irritant to some customers that need a wastebasket.

The pool and common area furnishings are wonderful. I hope they have budgeted replacement yearly, because if they start to wear, it will impact the property's allure quickly. The pool is spacious and outfitted with a ton of seating and lounging space, and a wonderful view.

The cottages may present the real value here. The outdoor spaces for them are incredible, providing seating for 10 or 12. Compared to a hotel room, this would be a no brainer to me. Strangely, occupancy rates for them seemed substantially lower than the rest of the park.

The Living Coast Discovery Center was a fun diversion. Most interesting to me was learning about the gunpowder factory which was built and then shuttered just for WW I . It didn't really even make it to the '20s.

We took the "free" shuttle and sampled the third street breweries. There are a few excursions offered through the week. We drove to Imperial beach to see what their brewers knew. We went to Coronado. We enjoyed the weather.

I got 122 mbps down with T-Mobile. ATT provided a meager 10 Mbps. Verizon was between the two.

I did not hear i-5 at all. I might have heard the train once. I heard planes and helos several times, and loved it. I get a kick out of watching those V-22 Osprey(?) moving along. Every time it just seems a little precarious. I didn't think the Navy ordered them so I am not sure where they were headed to or from.

Would I stay here again? Probably. Do I like paying such high prices? No. We are deciding if we should book another week next year as part of the "Escape from 115 degree" effort.

I bet we do.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
I'm sitting in a campsite in William Heise County Park, in Inland San Diego County, which is $29 per day including electrical and water, and wondering what I'm missing there at that fancy schmancy park. In fact the empty spot next to me could hold a 100 foot motorhome. The only drawback is there is no gym to workout in, no gas fire pits, and no colored concrete pads. They're just asphalt, but there are very nice natural wood pits, and there's tons of hiking trails. In fact I'm worn out from the one today. Going to do another one tomorrow, while you're on the treadmill. Plus there are trees, and it is completely silent right now. No freeways.
What is it…about 95 degrees in Julian today?

There’s a reason that many of us prefer squatting near the Pacific Ocean during the summer months.
And for some, cost isn’t an issue.

Even with 50amp hook-up & 3-4 AC units…it’s difficult to cool down that hot metal box when it’s nearly 100 outside.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
What is it…about 95 degrees in Julian today?

There’s a reason that many of us prefer squatting near the Pacific Ocean during the summer months.
And for some, cost isn’t an issue.

Even with 50amp hook-up & 3-4 AC units…it’s difficult to cool down that hot metal box when it’s nearly 100 outside.
I don't know what the temperature in Julian is today, I'm at home in Huntington Beach, about a half-mile up from the ocean, and it's a comfy 72°.

But back when I was in that campground nearJulian it was around 95 degrees, and I kept cool in the motorhome with one air conditioner. Also went for a hike while it was hot, and frankly with the awning out and a little breeze, it was nice to sit outside in the afternoon and evening.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:19 PM   #28

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	399.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	335739  

Tags
door, doors, outdoor