Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2021, 10:24 PM   #1

Sun Outdoors, San Diego Bay. Chula Vista, Ca

Sun Outdoors
San Diego Bay
Chula Vista, Ca

After dealing with some serious heat already in Lake Havasu City, AZ we decided to start the first leg of this trip off in a cooler location. This is a brand new resort owned by the corporation Sun Resorts. They have bought and remodeled several other parks recently, but this one was built from the ground up. It is just about a mile from Chula Vista RV resort, a location that they also bought a while back. Chula Vista RV resort is due to be closed in October of this year, and what the plans are for that location I am not sure of.

This is a first rate resort with amenities and prices to match. The RV sites are all the same size, (45' +) concrete pads and large patio's with colored concrete to boot. All sites have gas fire pits with the difference being that in the “standard” rate sites the fire pit doesn't include the propane bottle to fire it up. You can get a bottle from them, (a deposit + a propane fee is charged) or you can use your own. The standard sites have a picnic table and chairs around the fire pit.

A premium site has an outdoor dining table with chairs instead of the picnic table, and may also have propane included, or some have natural gas plumbed to the fire pit. An “Elite” site will also include a full size “grill station” that includes fuel to run it. Pricing for all the sites is “dynamic” which means that site prices vary not only by location (water front views of the bay or ocean are on the perimeter and the most expensive) but also changes from weekday to weekend or holidays.

We had a standard back in interior site which was the least expensive of the bunch, and we paid a weekly rate that was $98 a day during the week, and $122 on the weekend days. Non weekly rate would be higher.

What you get for that price is a large pool, 2 hot tubs, a splash pad for the kids, arcade and game rooms, Community Center, Clubhouse, several outdoor sports and recreation areas, and a restaurant (not open yet). There are also 40 “Cottages” for rent which are 1 or 2 bedroom, some with a loft and outside view deck. The gym is amazing, with one whole glass wall that opens to the outside with a view of the bay. All exercise equipment is new and plentiful.

Bathrooms are well appointed and handicapped accessible. Wifi is included throughout the park, and you can pay an additional fee for faster speeds. Our T-Mobile worked great here, with 5G speeds of over 150 meg download. There are two dog parks, both with artificial turf, trees and seating. So although not cheap, this truly is a real resort in every sense. The temps while we were here hovered in the low 70's with ocean breezes everyday.

The only negatives I can come up with is there is traffic noise from Interstate 5 and the metro trains run by often, so you can hear the dinging of the bells on the trains as they cross intersections. Both are about ¼ mile from the park, so it's not overwhelming. All utilities worked well, water pressure is a bit on the low side at 40 psi at the hose bib. Sites are surrounded by smooth small gravel and several plants and young trees. Be careful backing in to your site if you have a longer rig, as each site has a number post in front that is close to the street.

Next to the park is the “Living Coast Discovery Center”. There is a variety of live birds, reptiles, and fish on display, and is pretty interesting for the whole family. Normally it is $16 admission for adults, but with proof of registration at the park, entry is free (we used our vehicle window tag for entry.) You do have to take a free shuttle that picks up right outside the gate of the RV park to take you to the center and returns you as well. There are also some walking trails there with info on the bay, and the old “Gunpowder factory” that was on the site in the 1920's.

Coronado island is close and we drove over one day for lunch and to walk around the historic “Hotel Del Coronado”. There are also bike trails which we rode one day to various locations on the bay front, and hundreds of shops within a few miles that are all open and hungry for visitors after the Covid shutdown. A few places still required face masks to enter but mostly it was all optional now. None are required at the RV park, and it is optional if you desire.

This was a great first stop to get this years journey off right. Pricey, but worth it.
Diane's new travel blog is also up and running, the link is at the bottom of the page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140982.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	332202   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140966.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	332203  

Name:	196609136_10227263702885372_2569187443369698502_n.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	332204   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140969.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	332205  

mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2021, 10:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
Sun Outdoors
San Diego Bay
Chula Vista, Ca

After dealing with some serious heat already in Lake Havasu City, AZ we decided to start the first leg of this trip off in a cooler location. This is a brand new resort owned by the corporation Sun Resorts. They have bought and remodeled several other parks recently, but this one was built from the ground up. It is just about a mile from Chula Vista RV resort, a location that they also bought a while back. Chula Vista RV resort is due to be closed in October of this year, and what the plans are for that location I am not sure of.

This is a first rate resort with amenities and prices to match. The RV sites are all the same size, (45' +) concrete pads and large patio's with colored concrete to boot. All sites have gas fire pits with the difference being that in the “standard” rate sites the fire pit doesn't include the propane bottle to fire it up. You can get a bottle from them, (a deposit + a propane fee is charged) or you can use your own. The standard sites have a picnic table and chairs around the fire pit.

A premium site has an outdoor dining table with chairs instead of the picnic table, and may also have propane included, or some have natural gas plumbed to the fire pit. An “Elite” site will also include a full size “grill station” that includes fuel to run it. Pricing for all the sites is “dynamic” which means that site prices vary not only by location (water front views of the bay or ocean are on the perimeter and the most expensive) but also changes from weekday to weekend or holidays.

We had a standard back in interior site which was the least expensive of the bunch, and we paid a weekly rate that was $98 a day during the week, and $122 on the weekend days. Non weekly rate would be higher.

What you get for that price is a large pool, 2 hot tubs, a splash pad for the kids, arcade and game rooms, Community Center, Clubhouse, several outdoor sports and recreation areas, and a restaurant (not open yet). There are also 40 “Cottages” for rent which are 1 or 2 bedroom, some with a loft and outside view deck. The gym is amazing, with one whole glass wall that opens to the outside with a view of the bay. All exercise equipment is new and plentiful.

Bathrooms are well appointed and handicapped accessible. Wifi is included throughout the park, and you can pay an additional fee for faster speeds. Our T-Mobile worked great here, with 5G speeds of over 150 meg download. There are two dog parks, both with artificial turf, trees and seating. So although not cheap, this truly is a real resort in every sense. The temps while we were here hovered in the low 70's with ocean breezes everyday.

The only negatives I can come up with is there is traffic noise from Interstate 5 and the metro trains run by often, so you can hear the dinging of the bells on the trains as they cross intersections. Both are about ¼ mile from the park, so it's not overwhelming. All utilities worked well, water pressure is a bit on the low side at 40 psi at the hose bib. Sites are surrounded by smooth small gravel and several plants and young trees. Be careful backing in to your site if you have a longer rig, as each site has a number post in front that is close to the street.

Next to the park is the “Living Coast Discovery Center”. There is a variety of live birds, reptiles, and fish on display, and is pretty interesting for the whole family. Normally it is $16 admission for adults, but with proof of registration at the park, entry is free (we used our vehicle window tag for entry.) You do have to take a free shuttle that picks up right outside the gate of the RV park to take you to the center and returns you as well. There are also some walking trails there with info on the bay, and the old “Gunpowder factory” that was on the site in the 1920's.

Coronado island is close and we drove over one day for lunch and to walk around the historic “Hotel Del Coronado”. There are also bike trails which we rode one day to various locations on the bay front, and hundreds of shops within a few miles that are all open and hungry for visitors after the Covid shutdown. A few places still required face masks to enter but mostly it was all optional now. None are required at the RV park, and it is optional if you desire.

This was a great first stop to get this years journey off right. Pricey, but worth it.
I'm sitting in a campsite in William Heise County Park, in Inland San Diego County, which is $29 per day including electrical and water, and wondering what I'm missing there at that fancy schmancy park. In fact the empty spot next to me could hold a 100 foot motorhome. The only drawback is there is no gym to workout in, no gas fire pits, and no colored concrete pads. They're just asphalt, but there are very nice natural wood pits, and there's tons of hiking trails. In fact I'm worn out from the one today. Going to do another one tomorrow, while you're on the treadmill. Plus there are trees, and it is completely silent right now. No freeways.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:15 PM   #3

Yep, different strokes for different folks. We stay at all types of campgrounds. This is just one example.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Yep, different strokes for different folks. We stay at all types of campgrounds. This is just one example.
Very very true. I just read Google reviews of that site. It's sort of strange, they have many 5 stars and many 2-3 stars. That tends to indicate many 5-star shill reviews. Seems to have a theft problem, they said the pool was noisy with different groups all playing different music, the sites are real close together. They charge you $40 per visitor. Kind of smells like a timeshare kind of thing. The varying rates depending on holidays etc . I hope that's not a trend. Will be interesting to see if this is successful. I won't even ask if they have a limit on how old the RV is. The prices alone will exclude anyone with an older RV.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
The varying rates depending on holidays etc . I hope that's not a trend. Will be interesting to see if this is successful.
It's more than a trend, it's a reality. And it goes on across the country in any place that is a sought after desirable location. Just as the hotel industry has done for many years, they figured out that they have a valuable commodity that people will pay more for at various times of the year. Ever try to get a hotel room over Christmas or New Years? Yep, the price can double or triple. Same room, same location. Same thing with air fares. Same seat, same plane that was going to the same location every day. Yet the price can spike 1000% based on demand.

And RV parks often have different rates in summer and winter. Same location, same piece of ground. The answer is simple. You don't want to pay the up charge, don't go there. Supply and demand and it's here to stay. Don't kill the messenger.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:13 AM   #6

Quote:
It's more than a trend, it's a reality. And it goes on across the country in any place that is a sought after desirable location. Just as the hotel industry has done for many years, they figured out that they have a valuable commodity that people will pay more for at various times of the year. Ever try to get a hotel room over Christmas or New Years? Yep, the price can double or triple. Same room, same location. Same thing with air fares. Same seat, same plane that was going to the same location every day. Yet the price can spike 1000% based on demand.

And RV parks often have different rates in summer and winter. Same location, same piece of ground. The answer is simple. You don't want to pay the up charge, don't go there. Supply and demand and it's here to stay. Don't kill the messenger.
It's not a trend at County, State and
National parks. And not at any land that I consider desirable and sought-after. I believe it's a trend for these new parks that are being rebuilt by corporations to maximize profits. And I'm not trying to kill the messenger, I'm just commenting on this. It kind of ties into a few other threads about glorified RV parking lots with perfectly manicured grass, and corporations taking over older RV campgrounds, rebuilding them, then skyrocketing rates.

When you came out here from Lake Havasu, you could have booked the day before at any of San Diego's County Parks, and had a real camping experience. And there are several down there near the bay. In fact one that I'm going to stay at next has a bike path that hooks up to up to the bike trails around the bay, and has hiking trails and a fishing pond. And with your toad you could explore all the same things you can explore by staying at that Sun Resort.

In fact for thirty bucks you could have stayed at the site right next to me, which has a huge area where you can even pitch several tents. It's also a rocks throw away from the dumping station. In fact I'm moving down there today, because I wanted to stay one more night, so I went online and booked it. Actually I like my site better because it has a little more level, but I'm going to move down there for tonight. Has water electrical and four bar Verizon. Also get my satellite TV. This site in the pictures could hold a 40-foot motorhome and a Ford Excursion, with room to spare. Only has a picnic table though, no individual chairs...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210615_091948.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	450.6 KB
ID:	332228   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210615_091809.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	476.9 KB
ID:	332229  

Name:	20210615_091741.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	478.0 KB
ID:	332230  
Old 06-15-2021, 01:22 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for the write up. We love staying near the coast but usually end up at a state park. Years back we did stay at the Chula Vista Rv Resort and enjoyed it. BTW that link for Rvnchick did not work for me.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:31 PM   #8

I just moved next door to the big site for the night. Now check out this giant private space and view for $30, compared to the $100 per night (weekly rate) Sun site.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210615_112227.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	566.0 KB
ID:	332246   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210615_112418.jpg
Size:	444.4 KB
ID:	332247  

Name:	20210615_121823.jpg
Size:	527.0 KB
ID:	332248  
Old 06-15-2021, 02:02 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
They have similar parks in the Paso Robles wine country. Very popular with the younger crowd and young families looking for resort camping.

I read that the SD park also has a restaurant, if so how is it?
Old 06-15-2021, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
I won't even ask if they have a limit on how old the RV is. The prices alone will exclude anyone with an older RV.
Would you please explain this a little more thoroughly?
Old 06-15-2021, 02:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Would you please explain this a little more thoroughly?
I've not encountered it, but I've seen people on this forum and others say that some "upper-scale" parks do not allow older RVs in, sometimes they say around 10 years old or older. I was just making the presumption that folks (like me) who aren't buying new RV's every 10 years may not want to stay in a park where it cost $120 or more per night, plus extras. In other words, the price to stay there might naturally weed out the older RVs.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:52 PM   #12

We’ve been at the new resort since the 3rd and will be leaving on the 18th. Expensive, yes. Very nice, yes. Will we come back? Yes. It’s the type of place we enjoy if not more expensive than we like. Everything is new and they’re still working kinks out. The cafe hasn’t opened yet but I’ve seen people carrying pizzas from some place and they sure do smell good. There are different food trucks that come in we’ve had some of the best coffee from one of them.

There are quirks about the park which makes me question the design, but we’re happy.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:16 PM   #13

Quote:
I've not encountered it, but I've seen people on this forum and others say that some "upper-scale" parks do not allow older RVs in, sometimes they say around 10 years old or older. I was just making the presumption that folks (like me) who aren't buying new RV's every 10 years may not want to stay in a park where it cost $120 or more per night, plus extras. In other words, the price to stay there might naturally weed out the older RVs.
It might not naturally weed out the older RV owners either. I can assure you even though my RV is more than 10 years old if I wanted to stay there it would be no financial burden to do so to me. I'm sure there are many other RV'rs out there who wear the same size shoes. Unless the check in clerk checked my registration sticker they would have no idea how old my MH is. I can also assure you it's in better physical and cosmetic condition than some others much newer than mine. It is spotlessly clean too. We only use it five or six times a year because we have other interests as well so you will find only 34,000 miles on the clock. BTW, if I check in to a park I will pay in cash for the duration and throw a tip their way at the same time.
"You can't judge a book by it's cover"
Old 06-15-2021, 03:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
It might not naturally weed out the older RV owners either. I can assure you even though my RV is more than 10 years old if I wanted to stay there it would be no financial burden to do so to me. I'm sure there are many other RV'rs out there who wear the same size shoes. Unless the check in clerk checked my registration sticker they would have no idea how old my MH is. I can also assure you it's in better physical and cosmetic condition than some others much newer than mine. It is spotlessly clean too. We only use it five or six times a year because we have other interests as well so you will find only 34,000 miles on the clock. BTW, if I check in to a park I will pay in cash for the duration and throw a tip their way at the same time.
"You can't judge a book by it's cover"
I found their rules and regulations. You just need to be RVIA certified, and have no exterior damage. I wonder if faded decals is considered exterior damage? Probably.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20210615-142222_Drive.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	484.9 KB
ID:	332269  

Tags
door, doors, outdoor