Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2022, 06:45 AM   #1

Take whole family on vacation Where?? 13 of us!

Not RV related, but you all have been many places and possibly can help. Wife is turning 80 and one grandchild graduates from high school one from college. Age ranges from 17 to 80. Want to take everyone one last get together. We are all active and don't want to lay on the beach and read. Just not us. We all play pickleball, hike, fish, shop (ladies)? Just starting to plan the vacation. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. We did a cruise once but didn't get to spend that much time together. 4-5 day vacation.
Thanks in advance for any recommendations all.

safe travels
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2022, 06:58 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would say any national park find one with activities and many things to see. Or maybe a week at the Smithsonian.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:06 AM   #3

Take whole family on vacation Where?? 13 of us!

When my grandparents were around we would all go to colonial Williamsburg as a family get together every 3/4 yrs or so. It was a great time for everyone!
I should add that there was 18 of us in total. My aunt & uncle would bring their RV and the rest of us stayed at the hotel.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:14 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
We just left Carolina Pines in Conway, SC. I thought it would be perfect for a family reunion. Tiny cottages for rent, plenty of RV sites, tons to do on-site from pools, splash park, mini golf, arcade, billiards, corn hole, horseshoes, etc. You're near North Myrtle Beach, shopping, Atlantic coastal waterway, etc.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
Not RV related, but you all have been many places and possibly can help. Wife is turning 80 and one grandchild graduates from high school one from college. Age ranges from 17 to 80. Want to take everyone one last get together. We are all active and don't want to lay on the beach and read. Just not us. We all play pickleball, hike, fish, shop (ladies)? Just starting to plan the vacation. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. We did a cruise once but didn't get to spend that much time together. 4-5 day vacation.
Thanks in advance for any recommendations all.

safe travels
What time of year? (Guessing Summer) Have you asked the Group? We, as a family have done the Beach (Rehoboth - DIL blew out her archilles on PickleBall last year - hike the Beach and trails - fish the Bay and the Ocean - Shop the outlets - 7 boys from 35-55 will ride the bikes for 17 to 60 miles usually every day - swim - surf - buggy board - Paddle Boards on the Cannel behind the house . on and on) for 43 years - very active group as many as 28-34 - depending on week (we do two weeks) ages From 1-78 years old.

2020 Covid - we, my boys and Granddaughter's 14 in three RV's, did Yellowstone to Taos in the RV's - same as the beach with more hikes - it was MY Dream Vacation - if I only had 4-5 days it would be in the Colorado Mountains - Late September with the Aspen, Heaven on Earth.

If only a short week (Would recommend at least two) that would be hard, not near the water - that would be hard as our crew is water oriented - swam in the lakes, reservoirs and streams all the way to Taos

So really depends on you - Beach (Rehoboth) for our group has been pretty good - Hard to beat as it allows everyone to have their element and enjoy not only the Area but each other.

Not sure I helped but will be interesting to follow. Be sure you keep up and comment on the many varied replies so we have an idea on the final decision.

Best of luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:05 AM   #6

If you want to play in the Rockies, tour the Rocky Mountain National Park and enjoy Estes Park's shopping and dining I recommend the YMCA of the Rockies.
https://ymcarockies.org/lodging?camp...IaAjGuEALw_wcB
[emoji40][emoji382][emoji382]... [emoji382][emoji40][emoji106]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:51 AM   #7

The best "mass family group" vacations that we took were at "family camp" resorts -- you stay in a cabin and eat in the dining hall. No cooking, no cleaning, lots of activities for all age groups.

This is a link to our favorite family camp, Montecito Sequoia:

https://www.mslodge.com/

If a drive to the West Coast is too far, check for similar camps in areas nearer to you -- maybe the Ozarks?? Colorado? Montana? Upstate New York?
Old 01-16-2022, 10:36 AM   #8

We took 6 of us to Yellowstone ages 22 to 85. We stayed in an airbnb/vbro in Big Springs, Idaho. There was hiking, fishing, NP tours, and golf all nearby. We had a blast.

Profdan kind beat me to my other suggestion, a Dude Ranch or other family camp sounds like a blast. I haven't done this myself, but I have friends that have and they all say it is one of the best vacations they have done. The dude ranch might be a but much for the 80 year old.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:45 PM   #9

My thought is transportation logistics with over a dozen people is going to be a mess, not just to get to the destination, but to move about and do different things once you are there.

While not a wonder of the world, perhaps somewhere like Eureka Springs, Arkansas would work well, as it has a little bit of stuff for everyone, much of it accessible by the hop on, hop off tourist shuttle bus which stops at / near many of the inns and RV parks in town. It is a small enough town that even if the group scatters there is a fair chance of running into each other while out and about. The downtown area has varieties of shops, there are lakes and caverns in the immediate area though they are not on the shuttle route (as of a few years ago), for the more cultural museum inclined in your group there is the Crystal Bridges museum of America Art in Bentonville, Ar 40 miles (1 hour) drive away, there is even a large cat rescue refuge you can tour just outside of Eureka Springs you can tour.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:00 PM   #10

Orlando, FL. something there for everyone...just not in the middle of summer.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
Orlando, FL. something there for everyone...just not in the middle of summer.
Death Valley, but ditto on the middle of summer, unless you're acclimated.

-

I live an hour from there. It is tolerable almost year round.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:38 AM   #12

Here's another example of the "family camp" idea, in the Ozarks, about 600 miles away from you. It's run by a church, so you'd want to make sure that your family is OK with that:

https://www.sotocamp.com/family-camps/
Old 01-18-2022, 06:38 AM   #13

vacation

Thank you all for ideas. We are just beginning to plan. Haven't set a time of year yet. We would fly everyone into wherever we decide to go. I will look more closely into all the places.

safe travels all
Old 01-18-2022, 11:32 AM   #14

Anyone been tp Oureto Vallarta say in October? Looks like a lot of things to do for everyone. Will it still be to hot then?

Tags
cat