Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Tamarack @ Beckley, WV for overnight stop?

Does the Tamarack center still allow RV overnight parking? The last threads on this subject were dated 2008 & indicated parking was allowed then. I know things can change.

Anyone been through the area recently who have used that as an overnight top to catch a few zzzzz's?

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Lori,
I was in the area last summer. Visited the Tamarack building, but did not stay in the parking lot. I sow no signs forbidding overnight parking. However, I saw no RVs in the parking lot. I stayed at Beckley Exhibition Mine & CG for less than $25/night. Look in iRV2 CG reviews for the details. For an overnight stop it is okay. You'll get practice driving in a tight CG with steep grades. If you go, do not make a right turn onto the CG road. No motor coach can make that turn and miss the telephone pole on the right. Go 1/4 mile to the mine parking lot, disconnect and turn around there (very easy). Then go back down the road and make a left onto the CG road. If you get there during the day, you'll register at the mine office and need to go to the parking lot anyway.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:08 AM   #3

You can overnight in the truck stop there at Tamarack.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #4

Beckley WV

FYI there is a Cracker Barrel just off the Interstate in Beckley. It is a nice place and easy access in and out and plenty of room in parking lot. Do not know if they allow overnite with RV.

rops
rops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lori, we were at Tamarack this past October. There was plenty of RV/Bus parking and I did not see any signs prohibiting overnight parking. As noted, you could park down the hill with the trucks but it will likely be noisey. We've overnighted at a Walmart in Beckley but always stop at Tamarack whenever we go thru that area (their food service is provided by the Greenbrier Hotel and it is great at a great price).
Old 03-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #6

Quote:
You'll get practice driving in a tight CG with steep grades. If you go, do not make a right turn onto the CG road. No motor coach can make that turn and miss the telephone pole on the right. Go 1/4 mile to the mine parking lot, disconnect and turn around there (very easy). Then go back down the road and make a left onto the CG road. If you get there during the day, you'll register at the mine office and need to go to the parking lot anyway.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thanks everyone. We've been to the Tamarack several times over the years, but we've always been in the car, not with the coach. That's the halfway point for us going to the National next fall & will use it as a stop over enroute.

Lori-
Old 03-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #8

Tamarack

We stayed at Tamarack twice last year and stayed in the RV parking area, also ate in their restaurant. Which was very good. The first time we stayed there we had some issues with kids in the parking lot as there was a graduation party at the main building. The second time we came out after eating and found a guy trying to get into our 5th wheel. We don't stay there anymore as we just don't feel as there is "no" security!
Old 03-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rops View Post
FYI there is a Cracker Barrel just off the Interstate in Beckley. It is a nice place and easy access in and out and plenty of room in parking lot. Do not know if they allow overnite with RV.

rops
I have overnighted there on two occasions. I asked when we went in to eat and the manager told us to make ourselves at home. Last time was over a year ago.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Does the Tamarack center still allow RV overnight parking? The last threads on this subject were dated 2008 & indicated parking was allowed then. I know things can change.

Anyone been through the area recently who have used that as an overnight top to catch a few zzzzz's?

Lori-
We allow free overnight parking in the lower lot of Tamarack closest to the Travel Plaza. It has signs for RV parking. Of course, we ask that you not leave any mess behind. For your convenience, there is a dump station at the Travel Plaza.

Tamarack is currently open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Check for winter hours if traveling in January, February, or early March. We serve breakfast until 10:45 a.m.

Best regards,
Cheryl Hartley
Tamarack General Manager
Tamarack GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group

Thank you Cheryl for joining iRV2.com to become a member & taking the time to come here to answer my question.

RV-r's are a wonderful group & allowing us to overnight at Tamarack to catch a few hours of sleep is most gracious. We'll pass the word around.

Lori-
Old 03-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cheryl:

Ditto here....welcome to IRV2 and thanks for the helpful info about Tamarack. We always stop and are always impressed with the wonderful craft items, the great food, and the friendly folks there. It is truly a wonderful facility. I wish we had something as nice here in Virginia.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:44 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Overnight Parking at Tamarack

Tamarack does not have a problem with RV's parking overnight, but just as a courtesy please stop by the Tourist Information Center located at the front desk so they can notify Security of your arrangements. Tamarack does not have hook-ups and Tamarack cannot assume any liability to vehicles parked overnight but at this time there has never been any situation where there has been a problem. Safe travels!

Kelly Elkins
Events Director
TAMARACK: The Best of West Virginia

P.S. Just a reminder, we are the red roof circle building located above the Host Mariott Travel Plaza. We are sometimes confused for the truck stop.
kellyelkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thank you Kelly & .

We appreciate you joining & welcoming RV-r's to Tamarack. I'm sure our members will take you up on the hospitality as they pass through the Beckley area.

Lori-