Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2023, 06:26 PM   #15

Good luck at getting anything inside Yellowstone, especially if you are over 30'. Outside Yellowstone will be tough too, especially if you want FHUs.

A few years ago we were at Gros Mourne, Grand Tetons over the July 4th weekend. Right over the weekend the place was packed but leading up to the weekend & immediately after the place virtually emptied out. Was not expecting that.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2023, 10:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
We had an easy entry, saw a lot of wildlife along the road to Old Faithful, Saw Old Faithful do her thing before 800A. Walked over to the nearby park lodge for an excellent breakfast. then toured the geyser field and went to Yellowstone Falls. Everything was relaxed and easy until we got to Yellowstone Falls. It was difficult to find parking there.
Definitely...... plan to do some touring every day you're there but leave super early to do it. Then around 1pm go back for a rest/nap or do a hike. Perhaps have your big meal of the day at this time. Then pack a cooler with sandwiches and go back to touring another area of the park around 4pm. Then you have a better chance of breathing room on the roads.

Going in August cuts down a 'little' with crowds as folks are heading home to prepare for school. July and first 2 weeks of August are the worst.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 12:46 AM   #17

I really appreciate the information, we still have some planning to do it seems. Spent most evening trying to figure out where to camp in the cody area without any success. Buffalo Bill State Park is the only thing that looked reasonable, but all the videos it looks extremely windy. We're excited about Bridger Teton national Forest especially the Green lakes River dispersed camping. Probably spend 3 or 4 days in Moran to visit the Tetons afterwards. But honestly not sure where to go after that. We'll spend two nights at nomads bluff on the way back to North Carolina from Yellowstone, visiting Custer on the day between. We're excited to retrace those steps. But I'm having a hard time getting a good plan together for six to eight nights in the Yellowstone area.
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:20 AM   #18

I don't like to dismiss campgrounds but I would not recommend Red Trail CG in Medora. Having stayed there in 2021 our site was littered with screws, bolts and nails. When I complained to the owner they said they used the site to take apart picnic tables. Wth. Never stayed at a campground with such narrow sites. No place to walk a dog either.

There's a huge CG close to the parks entrance that I will stay at next time, sorry can't remember the name.

Also, TR NP is way out of your way for the rest of your itinerary as I see it. It's a long way from Yellowstone and the Tetons.

However, I loved TR and it was worth visiting for a couple days. I incorporated TR into my itinerary on my way home to Wisconsin from Glacier NP. Made a loop from Wisconsin, Rapid City area, Yellowstone, Glacier, TR, then home to Wisconsin

Rafter J Bar Ranch in Hill City SD is the best. Stayed there in 2022 already have reservations for this July.
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 06:15 AM   #19

I’m taking the grandkids to Yellowstone in June, we live in North Carolina. I went last year but Yellowstone closed the day before we arrived. We never make reservations when we are riding. I’ll make reservations the first night in Sevierville TN at Riverside RV campground, we have a Trav’ler satellite on the fifth wheel and we always get a campsite in the back. We have been to Yellowstone a few times. I made reservations in December and I wanted 7 days in Fishing Bridge and I got 3 days, plus the rates have gone up, $99 a night. I booked 4 days in Cody in Buffalo Bluff at $65 a night, not bad. I like Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone. It has gone up, $152 a night with taxes. We found a neat campground in Dubios Wy. Everything has gone up especially DIESEL. Last year before I got to Cody I paid $5.75 a gallon and topped off. I saw diesel at almost $7.00 a gallon inside the park. Hopefully fuel will be cheaper this year. We always see something different every time we visit Yellowstone
spock12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:04 AM   #20
Community Moderator

According to my chart information last year in West Yellowstone at Fuel First, diesel was $6.09/gal. Hopefully it will be cheaper this year for the summer.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock12 View Post
I’m taking the grandkids to Yellowstone in June, we live in North Carolina. I went last year but Yellowstone closed the day before we arrived. We never make reservations when we are riding. I’ll make reservations the first night in Sevierville TN at Riverside RV campground, we have a Trav’ler satellite on the fifth wheel and we always get a campsite in the back. We have been to Yellowstone a few times. I made reservations in December and I wanted 7 days in Fishing Bridge and I got 3 days, plus the rates have gone up, $99 a night. I booked 4 days in Cody in Buffalo Bluff at $65 a night, not bad. I like Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone. It has gone up, $152 a night with taxes. We found a neat campground in Dubios Wy. Everything has gone up especially DIESEL. Last year before I got to Cody I paid $5.75 a gallon and topped off. I saw diesel at almost $7.00 a gallon inside the park. Hopefully fuel will be cheaper this year. We always see something different every time we visit Yellowstone
Grizzly in West Yellowstone is not cheap but is there a better campground that close to the entrance?

Got 5 nights there this summer.
Old 01-20-2023, 01:31 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDParise View Post
Grizzly in West Yellowstone is not cheap but is there a better campground that close to the entrance?

Got 5 nights there this summer.
There are a couple of KOA's just west of West Yellowstone. We stayed in the one close to West Yellowstone, it was about 7-8 miles out of town. The second KOA is about 1 mile down the road from the other KOA.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 03:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock12 View Post

Thanks man I appreciate your thoughts, we tried fishing bridge but it was full, I was hoping to stay in the park after hearing from some others here. But we don't want to be there for a week without any hookups, so we got a KOA and Cody booked for the week. But just yesterday I heard about mountain view something or another, in Wapiti, I heard from the fellow that owns a place last night via email and they do in fact have RV sites on the property, simple but has hookups and might accommodate 5 to 8 rigs from what I can tell, it's right there about halfway between Cody and the East entrance to Yellowstone in case you're looking for anywhere closer to the park. The pictures in reviews look good and they have a bakery on site mountain view bakery, or similar. Just a heads up in case you weren't thrilled about your reservations and Cody
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 03:34 PM   #24

I know Grizzly RV is high but it’s a nice campground. I also hope diesel is cheaper this year. I brought diesel yesterday at $4.02 a gallon, that’s 50 cents a gallon cheaper than where I live. I had to drive 20 miles but it was worth it, I brought 130 gallons. I took the granddaughter last year to a Indian medicine wheel outside of Powell WY, it’s about 10,000 feet elevation but the snow was 3 or 4 feet deep and couldn’t walk to the site. The Beartooth Highway was closed about halfway up, the snow was pretty. I took granddaughter to rodeo and she had a blast. She wanted to ride a sheep until she got on one, she doesn’t want to ever ride a sheep again. We saw Buffalo crossing the road in Grand Teton. Unfortunately we only got one day in Yellowstone.
spock12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 04:19 PM   #25

In Wapiti, Mountain View & Yellowstone Valley Inn & RV (excellent restaurant) are both good. They're a bit closer to the entrance than Cody and have nice views and are a lot less hectic than Cody.

However, in Cody be sure to spend time in the Museum. It's huge and can take hours depending on your interests.
Old 01-20-2023, 05:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
There are a couple of KOA's just west of West Yellowstone. We stayed in the one close to West Yellowstone, it was about 7-8 miles out of town. The second KOA is about 1 mile down the road from the other KOA.
Yes, been there before. I take advantage of KOA Journeys while traveling and like the consistencies and individual touches of the owners. Great for overnights but for longer stays I prefer other private campgrounds.

Henrys Lake State Park in Idaho was my preferred campground for the West Yellowstone entrance but it's also 12 miles from the entrance and now their dump station is closed until further notice (at least through 2023) due to environmental concerns.
Old 01-20-2023, 05:51 PM   #27

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just made Resos's for July 18th thru the 25th (www.recreation.gov) this past Wednesday at Headwaters Flagg Ranch in Yellowstone. Dates open up exactly 6 months from the day you want to check in & they go VERY FAST! I literally had everything set-up & ready to go on my laptop the night before waiting for their online access to open up at 8am MST Sharp! I wanted a 45' pull through with full service & when the lines opened up there were so many gone already because of my dates overlapping into dates booked days before my July 18th check in! It's a hustle for sure...if you snooze you lose but I got my dates.
groveln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by groveln View Post
I just made Resos's for July 18th thru the 25th (www.recreation.gov) this past Wednesday at Headwaters Flagg Ranch in Yellowstone.
It's actually before you get to the Yellowstone entrance... but close. It's just beyond Jackson Lake, Grand Teton NP.

Tags
tow