Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2016, 08:39 AM   #1

The road

I'm a first-time rver, leaving in about a week towing a Gulf Stream Visa with 2 dogs and high hopes. Do those of you with experience have any general suggestions for me? Am heading out from west Tennessee to the Georgia coast. I would love suggestions for low-cost, quiet and scenic campgrounds!
hyker chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, I can give you some advice....

First KEEP your hope, and hang on to it. It can be easily lost in the multitude of sometimes aggravating minutia of RV'ing. So keep your eyes bright even in the worst of it, which we all encounter.

This book
https://www.amazon.com/Camping-Corps...oe+campgrounds

and this book
https://www.amazon.com/Rvers-Best-Pu...oe+campgrounds

are both decent books to own, but might be redundant.

Not always does "quiet" and "scenic" happen at the same time. However, sometimes you find a gem by exploring off the beaten path.

campgroundreviews.com and campendium.com both have unique sets of views of RV parks.

Consider buying a set of generators or possibly a solar charging system, there are some amazing places you can get to that aren't within a campground at all (but also have no services) but this is not cheap by any means... but running that A/C in the summer is really important. So maybe you stick to places with electricity and revisit that idea another time.

Plan your drives knowing everything will take longer than you think. Just plan on slowing down and smelling the roses. Take small roads to small towns, and enjoy them. We always travel very loosely so that we can take advantage of whatever flight of fancy floats in front of us.

We were "passing through" Tennessee, and that turned in a month long stay in the mountains... We were "passing through" Maine, which then also turned into a month long stay. Both were fun, and amazing, to explore. We really tried to put a dent in the lobster population.

Be prepared for the adage "everything that can go wrong..." because it holds true... sometimes, some things will just go wrong, but how you handle it in your mind is more important, it's just got to all be part of the journey.

So while I don't have any specific campground recommendations for you, finding State Parks, COE campgrounds, and BLM land has generally netted us the quieter side of traveling... and the more off the beaten path, the quieter they are.

We stayed in a COE ground in southern Missouri, and literally, there was NO ONE there but us and the camp host.... and a load of ticks. (be sure the puppies are treated, and check them for ticks daily)

So, as a wise IRV2'er once said to me "The journey IS the destination"

Enjoy!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Oh and if you happen to be near Atlanta, Stone Mountain is pretty darn nice and scenic.... full on the weekends, lots of open space during the week.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyker chick View Post
I'm a first-time rver, leaving in about a week towing a Gulf Stream Visa with 2 dogs and high hopes. Do those of you with experience have any general suggestions for me? Am heading out from west Tennessee to the Georgia coast. I would love suggestions for low-cost, quiet and scenic campgrounds!
Wow, I didn't know two dogs could pull a Gulf Stream Visa..
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:07 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hyker Chic,

RVParky.com and welcome to the Forum! RVParky.com is what we use mostly. Or search the internet where I plan to stop for the night.

Are you aware you can stop at Walmart's, Cabella's, BLM (Board of Land Management) and stay for free? If your TT is self sustaining, it isn't overly hot outside, then stop at one of these, put a bucket of water in the shower for (flushing the toilet) and run your fridge on propane or your batteries for the night. You can't do your AC this way so if it is really hot you will want hook-ups at a CG probably.

RVParky.com allows you to put in stores, gas stations, and other things you might be looking for into it's search parameters. Try it before leaving home and try using your batteries to run the fridge at home before you leave to see how long they last.

Staying at Walmart, Cabela's, or another type of store like these helps when you are running low on money or trying to save money. Sometimes stopping (for one night) at a CG and paying for 10 or 12 hours seems like a waste. Usually (when traveling) you only stop for 5 to 8 hours to sleep and move on.

Good luck with your trip and hope the dogs enjoy it as much as you do. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:58 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:09 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We have found that many small towns have a community campground that can be very nice to stay at and economical.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:10 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try Jekyll Island State Park. Very dog friendly and there is a lot of walking/biking paths. There is also a lot of history and nature on the island.

Jekyll Island Campground | Jekyll Island – Georgia's Vacation, Conservation and Educational Location

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:14 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
I recently watched a movie titled The Walk about a young girl who hiked the entire Pacific Crest Trail and your post title forum name reminded me of that movie. The girl just kept on keeping on thru blood, sweat, tears blisters, and finally reached her goal. Remember the journey is your destination....
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:43 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try to get to your destination for the day way before dark.

It makes it easier to park and get setup plus it's easier for everyone watch you try to park in your site.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Try to get to your destination for the day way before dark.

It makes it easier to park and get setup plus it's easier for everyone watch you try to park in your site.
Agreed. Settling in before dark is always ideal. campgroundreviews.com is a fabulous free resource that was mentioned in an earlier reply, but one that is worth repeating. Will give you ideas on parks in the area and how other RV'ers see them.

Welcome and safe travels. With a little practice, you will find rv'ing can be a great way to see and experience our beautiful country.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyker chick View Post

I might add to the advice given; consider joining PPA=passport America discount campgrounds.
You get 1/2 off the regular price-subject to individual CG rules posted on the PPA website. We joined PPA, drove from Indiana to Myrtle Beach, SC and saved the price of joining PPA just going to SC.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:25 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
HC..... Welcome, and good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine.
I noted your name, and I'm wondering if your two dogs are a pair of beautiful Samoyeds (whose names I've forgotten). And if you used to tote them around in a Honda Element. If you're the same hyker chick, we met about 7-8 years ago on the EOC forum.
Welcome!!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote