Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2019, 03:39 PM   #1

Thoughts on S. Utah, GC and Sedona

Starting to plan our Fall 2020 trip. Leaving from Valdosta, GA. This is what my initial route looks like:
Valdosta > Grand Junction, CO then to:
- Monticello, UT to explore Canyon Lands, Natural Bridges & Monument Valley
- Page, AZ for Antelope Canyon & Lake Powell
- Zion Nat'l Park....Zion River Resort
- Bryce National Park....Ruby's RV Park
- North Rim GC
- Sedona....Rancho Sedona RV Park (we have reservations for 10 nights)

We spend most of our time outdoors running & hiking. No idea how long to stay in each location.

All suggestions and comments appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2019, 04:18 PM   #2

If it were me I'd consider the following routing:
Ouray/Durango Colorado (Aspen are peaking mid to late September)
Moab (Canyonlands/Arches)
Capital Reef NP
Utah HWY 12
Bryce NP
Zion NP
Page, AZ
North Rim GC
Sedona
richf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:31 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
It's good you have reservations for Sedona - and maybe you already know this, but almost all the other places you've mentioned will require reservations too. And, months in advance.

Those are super popular places and all the good places fill up spring, summer and fall.

While the area around Sedona is beautiful, we didn't think much of the actual town. It was super touristy and full of trinkets for sale - mostly pieces of crystal and such.

You may love it.

Also, we stayed in Cottonwood just up the road from Sedona. Since that trip I've heard from lots of folks that have said we should not have stayed in an RV Park and that the real delight of Sedona is boondocking out among the great scenery.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf View Post
If it were me I'd consider the following routing:
Ouray/Durango Colorado (Aspen are peaking mid to late September)
Moab (Canyonlands/Arches)
Capital Reef NP
Utah HWY 12
Bryce NP
Zion NP
Page, AZ
North Rim GC
Sedona
Excellent suggestion....saves a day instead of going to Grand Junction. Any recommendations on RV Parks near Durango & Moab?
Old 11-27-2019, 05:10 PM   #5

recommend the Wahweep Campground in the Lake Powell Natl Recreation Area.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:04 PM   #6

I'd suggest I-40 to Albuquerque then 550 to Durango and stay there. Take the train to Silverton (good fall colors) (return via the bus).

When leaving Durango take 160 west to Cortez (Mesa Verde Nat'l Park) then 491 to UT 191 to Moab for Arches Nat'l Park and Canyonlands (Dead Horse Point State Park).

If you want Montecello/Natural Bridge area head south on 191 then 163 to Monument Valley. Then 163 to AZ160 at Kayenta to 98 taking you into Page, AZ

From Page take 89 to Kanab, UT and north on 89 to Hwy 12 then east to Bryce.

Backtrack on 12 back to 89 and go north a short distance to Hwy 20 taking you to I-15 south to Hwy 9 east to Hurricane and Zion NP.

Then take UT59 from Hwy 9 which becomes AZ389 taking you to Fredonia, AZ/Jacob Lake/Grand Canyon North Rim (bldgs. usually close mid-Oct but you can still drive in until around Nov 1.

From Jacob Lake take 89A east to 89 south to Flagstaff, AZ.

Take I-17 south to 179 into Sedona.

Allow lots of time for this trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I'd suggest I-40 to Albuquerque

Allow lots of time for this trip!
We took I-40 back last month and definitely our preferred route over I-20.

We will have 21-22 days from the time we hit Durango until we arrive in Sedona. Enough time?
Old 11-27-2019, 07:42 PM   #8

I-17 south between I-40 and Sedona is, or at least it was in 2017, a really rough road. FYI. where are you staying in Sedona?

Stuff to do:
- Pink Jeep Tours
- If you have a 4WD vehicle be sure to run Schnebly Hill trail. you'll end up on I-17 about 15-20 mi. north of Sedona
- take a drive up to the airport. fantastic view of the valley from there.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:32 PM   #9
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
Excellent suggestion....saves a day instead of going to Grand Junction. Any recommendations on RV Parks near Durango & Moab?
We were in Moab Rim Campground https://www.moabrimcampark.com/
this fall. Why it might not be the greatest it was certainly well kept, and the couple that run it are great people, he is just a real character. Spaces are a little close but it doesn't bother me as your not there most of the time.

South end of town couple of miles and sits above the road so the road noise is a little loud but it dies down at night.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:10 PM   #10

Three weeks from Durango to Sedona is enough time.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:25 PM   #11

We don't frequent RV parks as we prefer to boondock/dispersed camp but we did stay in a RV park in Moab for a few days because a big ol' rain storm blew through & we didn't want to get stuck out in the dirt. The park was called OK RV Park and it was a bit south of town and off the highway, unlike most of the other RV parks in the area, which are right on top of the highway through town. It was great, much better than "OK," and an excellent price for Passport America members. I would stay there again (if we needed a RV park), for sure.

Southern Utah is simply breathtaking. You don't want to miss going up (or down) the Grand Staircase/scenic byway 12, in my opinion. We primarily boondocked (or occasionally lotdocked, I'm all about free or cheap overnights) through the region & if that's of interest to you, feel free to PM me & I can give you the spots we used (we're in a big-ish rig + toad).

Zion was outstanding, and we stayed in Watchman campground (inside the park), loop A, which was fantastic & highly recommended, since it puts you walking distance from your rig to the visitor center, shuttles, and brewery, etc.

Fall in S Utah is wonderful, I hear earlier in October is nuts so the later you can get toward/into November, the better. Especially since November is the new September out here in the West!
2000 Country Coach Magna 36' #5752
past: '98 Safari Trek 2480, '91 Fleetwood Flair 22
srogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 05:57 AM   #12

As usual.....great/helpful information!!

Still a little confused on the Antelope Canyon, Lake Powell and North Rim GC section. Is there a central location to visit all 3? thanks!!

Also need suggestions on RV park around Dorango to do the train ride.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:31 AM   #13

there are several rv parks around durango. the one we like is riverview rv park in bayfield which is about 15 miles east of durango on us 160. there are a couple north of durango that we have driven through but have not stayed at. there is also lightner creek west of durango. it is ok but is a bit dark as it is down in a canyon. cell service is practically non existent there.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
I-17 south between I-40 and Sedona is, or at least it was in 2017, a really rough road. FYI. where are you staying in Sedona?

Stuff to do:
- Pink Jeep Tours
- If you have a 4WD vehicle be sure to run Schnebly Hill trail. you'll end up on I-17 about 15-20 mi. north of Sedona
- take a drive up to the airport. fantastic view of the valley from there.

The Schnebly Hill Road has deteriorated to the point you need high clearance four wheel drive, not just any 4WD. Since you like running and hiking you could easily spend the 10 days you have allotted to Sedona doing just that. Good places to eat too. Pick up a trail map at the Chamber office in Uptown Sedona. We live in Sedona so if you have specific questions, please ask away.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote