Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 03:40 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

Circle M, Lancaster, PA.
Timothy Lake North, East Stroudsburg, PA.
Circle M is one of the worst campgrounds I've ever been to.
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Have not visited the parks mentioned, but we have spent a great deal of time in the parks in CA, WA, OR, and NV and like them very much.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:10 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
Have not visited the parks mentioned, but we have spent a great deal of time in the parks in CA, WA, OR, and NV and like them very much.

Nick
We have, too, Nick, and agree. Plus all 7 in Texas and most in the south and east.

Regarding some places mentioned in this thread . . .

Carolina Landing is the worst actual Thousand Trails Preserve we have ever been to.

Those two Encore places in PA (Circle M and Timothy Lake) aren't really Thousand Trails Preserves. Seems Encore, which now owns Thousand Trails, likes to float out the logo for some marketing benefit.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
SeeTheUSA.. I have to agree with you on that.. But then I'm in Carolina Landing as I type. And I like it here. IF this is the WORST of the system, then I'm glad to hear it cause it is actually rather nice (At least by my standards).

I like most of the people here too, couple of the 99 year folks are not so nice but others I often give them access to the park wi-fi via my repeater system (Since I'm engineer enough to get a strong signal and they can't get one at all even though they are closer to the router than I am). Like the staff too. And many of the long-termers (Annual lease types).

I have no problems recommending a zone pass to folks.. Good way to find out if you like it or not.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
SeeTheUSA.. I have to agree with you on that.. But then I'm in Carolina Landing as I type. And I like it here. IF this is the WORST of the system, then I'm glad to hear it cause it is actually rather nice (At least by my standards).
wa8yxm,

I should say, we were at Carolina Landing about 6 years ago . . . they had just recently added the concrete pads. All were not level, too close to each other and there were no picnic tables. There was also a funky little zoo, which really smelled. Some of the "permanent residents' spots" were pretty bad. Maybe things have improved since then. I hope so.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
2 years ago we were looking at a TT membership and weren't sure we'd use it enough to get our moneys worth, and we are full timers.
We bought an RPI membership to see if TT would be a fit for us, we're still not sure about TT but very much like RPI.
bthomforde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #21

Is thousand trail pet friendly???

Jerry P
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:55 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
Is thousand trail pet friendly??? Jerry P
The one I frequent at Morgan Hill CA has at least one fenced dog run area, maybe more than one. Lots of folks there with dogs, as with most CG.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, very pet friendly. I'm in Las Vegas now and they have a large pet area and we walk the loops every day and our Raggs usually gets a treat from one of the Rangers.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #24

we have been members of Thousand Trails since '02 .... over time we have stayed in their parks from ocean to ocean and as this is being typed we are parked just north of Houston at Thousand Trails Lake Conroe CG .... last week we were north of San Antonio at Media Lake .... if the parks are located in places you which to go, I don't know of a better program for folks who full time

Jim
Old 02-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Saint Clair Preserve (MI), Las Vegas, Currently in Carolina Landing, I've been to a few others but frankly forget which ones.

This one (Carolina Landing) is .. Well they have a few level sites, I'm on one. But they are rare, Many 50's are free, they cost and extra 3 or 4 per night though. Which is why I'm on a 30. I'm using park Wi-Fi.

Most TT parks the Park Wi-Fi is Verizion 2-way Satellite,, Or to put it another way, It is faster watching grass grow.. But hey, if you don't like it they refund your Free Wi-Fi Fee (Ur, Free) so do not complain. This park it's AT&T DSL but only a desktop wi-fi router, No outdoor antenna so.. Well.. i got good hardware and thus you can read this.
I;ve been in there too, in 011 had a hell of time getting level, & it was summer & 1 bath house in the middle of park was shut dn for a mo.can;t belive that in summer. next to me was a TT member & they were p--- off abt how they were treated
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the bath houses had a serious problem in '11 and had to be rebuilt, then last year the "A" bathouse had a serious problem and they had to jack hammer part of the floor up to fix it. These things happen in older parks... (Thankfully the B bath house, the one that ticked you off, was re-opened). Today they are both open.. I used "B" this AM.

Most of those "Concrete" pads someone mentioned, are asphault, not really the best surface for an RV pad in SC.

Still. of all the parks I've stayed at this one (Carolina Landing) is my favorite, but my reasons have little to do with the grounds, and much to do with the people. Staff Included.

When I got sick last fall.. I was glad I was at a TT park because.. Well, the manager was very understanding (Chain tradition there too) The other park.. Well, The manager is understanding, but the city council passed some stupid laws and those would have made my life much harder.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #27

Now in our 10th year with Thousand Trails membership. We still use and enjoy western parks and hope to make another trip to the south and southeast. We are not full time but use our motor home in all seasons and make at least one 2+ month trip each year. We have never had a problem getting access to any preserve although in too many cases the sites available are in poor condition, impossible to level, rutted, etc. I can't imagine recommending membership to anyone else. Our value has been gradually but steadily degraded by the closing of a favorite local preserve which was replaced with access to a run down KOA. More and more of the best sites at all preserves are being sold off as long term sites. Access has been increasingly opened to non-Thousand Trails users through inclusion in other memberships, Zone Camping, etc. Why in the world would anyone consider membership when you can use Zone Membership? Perennial promises of upgraded facilities have resulted in zero improvement to utilities, sites, or other infrastructure. Occasionally painting a clubhouse or similar is the best we have seen. I feel we still get enough use to justify the annual fee but would never again consider membership.
barrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #28

We have had a Thousand Trails zone pass for three years now. We have stayed at a number of the preserves in the west. Many of the parks are like aging beauty queens or rock stars. The last preserve I was in was Pio Pico near San Diego. When they built it 30-35 years ago it was a super deluxe place. But not all of the facilities are in tip top shape today. But Pio Pico has two pools, a kids play area, a couple of club houses, store, coffee cart, they serve food, some outdoor courts for bad mitten, extremely friendly staff, it is gated and they do patrol it, there are many rental cabins, it is in a quiet area, and there are major upgrades going on right now. Somewhat funky but I like Pio Pico and most of the TT parks I have been to.

Sam Zell owns the system now. They say he is putting big bucks into it. Seems like that is true.

Key with TT parks it to use them. If you use the system over 3 weeks a year it is a great deal. Less than that, not such a great deal.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote