RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2021, 01:26 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Thousand Trails?

I tried searching for previous posts regarding this, couldn't find much. Could anybody with experience or knowledge about the Thousand Trails approach share their thoughts? Thanks!
frogpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2021, 01:48 PM   #2

Not a TT Member but thru our Membership Program we had when we FTd we stayed at several TT CGs across the USA

Some where Nice, some adequate, some down right run down

TT still has the Zone Membership (5 regions) Price has GONE UP and they now have 'ADD Ons' for more CGs

One year fee......no long term commitment so if it isn't something you find worthwhile you drop it at end of the year

https://thousandtrails.com/membershi...randed%20Terms

N/E Region---14 CGs New England to Pennsylvania
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:48 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Saved 5 grand in 2 years using TT and Encore. But so many rules...
Old 01-23-2021, 01:53 PM   #4

So, that saved 5 grand in 2 years, does that include the buy in price & anual maintenance fees ?
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:07 PM   #5

In many ways it depends on where you are. If you are in the midwest probably not much good. If you are in Florida or the western states probably better. Look at where their campgrounds are and that should help. There are people that love it and there are people that don't love it. You need to see if it will work for you. The "memberships" can be from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars for annual to lifetime memberships. You need to make sure of what you're buying. If you want a lifetime membership there are resellers that have a good reputation. There are many reviews on youtube, I would watch several of those. Good luck.
arcaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:47 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The buy-in doesn't need to be expensive - there are many resales available, often at low prices. The annual dues still add up, though.

As already noted, some TT parks are excellent, some just OK, and some barely fair or even poor. The key question is whether the good ones are located in places you want to go & stay. There are no savings if you don't use the parks to the max extent of your membership and you won't do that unless you like at least some of them and they are within your travel reach. I wouldn't recommend that anybody buy into a membership park simply to save money.

We picked up a premium membership resale for under $1000, getting several extra perks with it. We pretty much got our money's worth from just two parks, the one in Hershey PA and one in VA on the Chesapeake. We enjoy both areas, they are along our regular travel routes, and have family in Virginia near one of them. There are 3-4 others we hit from time to time, so used most of our annual 50 nights of camping easily.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogpond View Post
I tried searching for previous posts regarding this, couldn't find much. Could anybody with experience or knowledge about the Thousand Trails approach share their thoughts? Thanks!
We have been Thousand Trails members since 2003. We started full timers on June 1, 2019. Not counting the time we spent in our home park in Ohio, from November 1,2019 to June 1, 2020 we used 16 weeks in Thousand Trails parks.
Like said some parks are really nice, and some not so much. Some park need lots of work to get them back up to a level to be considered beautiful parks. Most Thousand Trail parks are first come first served in finding a site. When you make a reservation it is for a reservation not a specific site. Some will assign you a site. Like Wilmington Ohio you make a reservation and when you get there you drive around to you find a site you like. In some campgrounds the FHU include 30 amp, water, sewer. Other campgrounds there is 50 amp/30 amp service. Some there is water/ electric only. At Lake Conroe if you are 50 amp unit they tell you to take a 50 amp site, plus it will cost you an additional fee for the 50 amp service/night.
Generally you get Thousand Trails parks in the memberships but you can use Encore parks for an additional fee. But if you purchase the "Trails Collection" addition, for $300/year, you can stay in some Encore parks for 2 weeks with the small 50 amp fee. Other Encore parks it is $20/night fee.
Any other questions just ask
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:59 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for responses so far. All helpful in the decision process!
frogpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:25 PM   #9

We purchased the "one year, one region- no contract" plan several years back when Disneys, Epcot was running the Spring time oldies concerts. There are several "Thousand Trails" campgrounds in the area of Disney World and after spending 90 days rotating between them, we more than justified the one year cost!
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:14 AM   #10

Don't buy new and for the best help in buying a used membership check out the link below, they helped us when we needed to transfer my in-laws TT to us after they both passed away. They seem to have the most knowledge as there are so many different levels of membership out there.

https://www.campgroundmembershipoutlet.com/
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Don't buy new and for the best help in buying a used membership check out the link below, they helped us when we needed to transfer my in-laws TT to us after they both passed away. They seem to have the most knowledge as there are so many different levels of membership out there.

https://www.campgroundmembershipoutlet.com/
Wow! Guess we live in a cave as I have never heard of this. It is interesting stuff. Just sent these people a request for info. Thanks!
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:57 AM   #12

Funny, I talked to one of their sales people today about joining. Their website is useless, I guess it is part of getting you on the phone to a salesperson. Fortunately he was not a hard sale type and answered my questions about an annual membership. Reading this, I now have more questions.

Over all, because we are taking two big trips beginning this summer, fingers crossed, we will get back the fees. I am going to wait until a decision is made about being able to go to Toronto in August. If that is a go, I will join then, when one last question is answered.

In one of the posts someone mentioned a limit on number of nights a year. Is that in total for all locations or just a single location?
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:11 AM   #13

If you want to winter in Florida, you make back your annual dues the first month of usage easy.

Since the average paid park is >$30/day it’s easy math to see that annual dues of $570 is cheaper than staying anyplace else.....stay an additional two months until winter is almost over, and you have put money back in your pocket for sure.

Get a used membership, then book rotating 21 days stays at each of the several TT parks in Florida. We have been going back and forth between TTO and Peace River parks this winter.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
Funny, I talked to one of their sales people today about joining. Their website is useless, I guess it is part of getting you on the phone to a salesperson. Fortunately he was not a hard sale type and answered my questions about an annual membership. Reading this, I now have more questions.

Over all, because we are taking two big trips beginning this summer, fingers crossed, we will get back the fees. I am going to wait until a decision is made about being able to go to Toronto in August. If that is a go, I will join then, when one last question is answered.

In one of the posts someone mentioned a limit on number of nights a year. Is that in total for all locations or just a single location?
It depends on the membership. For instance on our membership we can go park to park and stay 21 days at a time, in Thousand Trails park. But in Encore parks, using The Trails Collection, we can stay 14 days straight then we have to be out of Encore Parks for 7 days, before we stay at an Encore park for no cost....except for the 50 amp fee.
As far as Florida there are 3 Thousand Trails parks there, Sherwood Forest, Orlando, and Peace River. The other parks in the company are Encore and limited to 14 days with OUR membership. In Arizona there is 1 Thousand Trails park Verde Valley, the rest are Encore properties. Texas has 7 Thousand Trails Parks, the rest in the system are Encore.
With the zone pass that some are talking about you can make a reservation only 60 days out, with our membership it is 180 days. But Encore, Trails Collection, is only 60 days for us.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote