Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2021, 09:58 PM   #1

Thousand Trails - To be or not to be - that is the question

We have full timed based out of St. Louis pending retirement
Have researched budgets & cost
Looked at cost of camping
Currently researching Thousand trails/RPI et. al.
You tube videos seem to either say saves you a ton of money
Or itís worthless because thereís no availability
I donít know what the truth is
I donít want to be suckered into a scam

Can anyone provide some balanced unbiased feedback?
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2021, 10:35 PM   #2

Here in the pacific northwest TT has been good to us for the 5 or six years we've been members. This year, not so much. Before this summer we never had a problem with getting reservations.

Twice this year we have had issues one of those times is for this upcoming weekend (short notice so I can understand). The other time we tried booking as far out as our membership allows but the online system showed unavailable. Phone calls went unanswered (I know, everyone is experiencing labor shortage issues now. This is just my experience). Overall, I still recommend TT's value for the price, at least on the west coast.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:03 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I had TT been trying to cancel because they auto renewed even though I did not select that option on my fist year. Not getting call back at all going to dispute the charge with the cc company.

It may work for some but my issue is there are no locations where we need them not their fault just they are more centered on vacation hot spots and not where I need to be.

Right now my issue is the no response to call when I call in to sign up answers the phone and sets me up fast. Now no call back.

You need to look at who has parks where you want to go and what you would pay vs. having the membership I am sure it works for a lot of people just not us.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:08 AM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
I had TT been trying to cancel because they auto renewed even though I did not select that option on my fist year. Not getting call back at all going to dispute the charge with the cc company...
I solved the auto renew issue with them by paying by check. I too hate the auto renew scam.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
I solved the auto renew issue with them by paying by check. I too hate the auto renew scam.
Isn't TT a timeshare where you must pay annual dues until you sell the membership?

Or are you talking about the Zone Pass, which is an annual thing?
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
They have membership times share and just a annual camping pass.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:05 PM   #7

I've been a trails member since the late 90s. They have gone way down. They seem to be deferring a lot of their maintenance at most of the parks in Texas. Sure, they keep up the show case park at Lake Conroe but the others are dumps. The only other park we use is the one in the Hershey PA area. If it was me, I wouldn't go past the annual version.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:19 PM   #8

Get a real membership, not the camping pass. Get it used through https://www.campgroundmembershipoutlet.com/

Add in RPI and the trails collection and you easily triple the number of parks you have access to.

Many, many different memberships available on the used marketÖ..many with terms not available on the newer contracts they sell today.

We purchased an old membership from the 1970ís and can reserve spots 210 days in advanceÖ.(we are guaranteed in writing to be able to reserve 30 days farther out than any current membership sold by TT). Being able to book sites this far in advance, there is no problem reserving sites.

We did this so we could be sure of staying in the Florida parks during the winter.

You need to stay in thousand trails parks at least 30 days per year to make it financially feasibleÖ..but if you are full-time, this is easy, and will save you money.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Get a real membership, not the camping pass. Get it used through https://www.campgroundmembershipoutlet.com/

Add in RPI and the trails collection and you easily triple the number of parks you have access to.

Many, many different memberships available on the used market…..many with terms not available on the newer contracts they sell today.

We purchased an old membership from the 1970’s and can reserve spots 210 days in advance….(we are guaranteed in writing to be able to reserve 30 days farther out than any current membership sold by TT). Being able to book sites this far in advance, there is no problem reserving sites.

We did this so we could be sure of staying in the Florida parks during the winter.

You need to stay in thousand trails parks at least 30 days per year to make it financially feasible…..but if you are full-time, this is easy, and will save you money.
EXACTLY......RESALE-----here is another Resale Site
https://www.rvparkstore.com/rv-park-...nd-memberships

We purchased a 'membership' with $59/annual fees (locked in--lifetime of membership) plus an annual affiliate membership with RPI/AOR/C2C.....total buy in was $950 first year

Second year we dropped RPI (Duplicate of C2C) and AOR (very few CGs and difficult reservation)
Second year fees were $59/Home and $119/C2C

C2c was Deluxe----2 week stays at any affiliate CG thru out the year. $10/$15 nightly fee (yrly dues increased over time to $129/yr and then to $139/yr over 7 yr period
Home was 2 weeks free per year

FT the RESALE membership saved us LOTS of CG fees
Many times we stayed at TTs .....many times at Private CGs not open to the public

We used the memberships WHEN we were IN an area NOT just because we went to that CG....CGs were not our destination

We also had PassPort America membership ---$44/yr with 50% Discount off daily rate at CGs that accepted PA

State/National CG, COE CGs, Fairgrounds in off season, City Parks, Public CGs and Boondocking while FTng
*Never stayed at a Parking Lot or Rest Area

Rarely overnighted
Most stays were at least a week or 2 weeks
Traveled 250 miles between destinations...then during a our stay we would rack up 500-1000 miles out exploring the local areas
CGs were for parking RV and place to sleep.....

We FTd to travel/explore/see small town USA ...not to park the RV and live in it

FT is a Life Style...not a vacation
Slow and Easy and ENJOY IT!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by swduns View Post
We have full timed based out of St. Louis pending retirement
Have researched budgets & cost
Looked at cost of camping
Currently researching Thousand trails/RPI et. al.
You tube videos seem to either say saves you a ton of money
Or itís worthless because thereís no availability
I donít know what the truth is
I donít want to be suckered into a scam

Can anyone provide some balanced unbiased feedback?
If you will use it the membership will save you money. If you don't use it it is a waste of money. For us in this calendar year we have used or are scheduled to use 210+ days in a Thousand Trails or Encore parks.
Right now we are on the 4th week of our 6 week stay around Cincinnati area.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:57 PM   #11

I've read that the membership parks are getting run down. Check out some you'd be using before committing.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I've read that the membership parks are getting run down. Check out some you'd be using before committing.
Maybe some, but right now we are sitting in Indian Lakes (Sunman, Ind.) they are adding 154 new sites for next year, upgrading the electrical to some of the existing areas, with new sewer. They have also added 2 other new loops for another 150 sites with a new pool house and 2 new pools added since 2019.
Arley, Al TT park has added around 85 new sites in a new loop, Kenisee Lakes in NE Ohio has added a new loop with over 50 new sites. Horseshoe Lakes in Clinton, Ind. 2 years ago upgraded all sites to 50/30 service.
In Texas all 7 TT parks are upgrading the electrical, from their e-mails to members.
Yes it is about time TT is coming into the 21st century on knowing even the travel trailers are coming out with 50 amp service and start upgrading their service to members.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:51 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have looked at both Tt and C2C and found to us, they are worthless with the rules and restrictions. Read carefully and see if you can fit into their rules and restrictions.

Ken
Old 08-04-2021, 10:36 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Finally got a callback from TT they are refunding the 2 months that they should not have charged for!!!!!