Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2021, 10:11 AM   #1

Thunderstorms

Anything I need to know about staying in my TT during a thunderstorm? Looks like our maiden voyage next week will be thunderstorms all week at inks lake
slharman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2021, 10:41 AM   #2

Make sure your electricals are protected from surge.

To be safe, at times we have unplugged from the CG electric for lightening dancing all around events (beforehand), the CG host informed of the intense thunder and lightening storms the location has. Those events were louder and more spectacular than the bicentennial celebrations all around Manhattan! You could smell the ozone in the air!
Old 06-25-2021, 10:53 AM   #3

Good advice above!

Tornadoes are an issue. Your walls will not stop flying cows in a tornado. Know where the nearest shelter is and keep in touch with weather warnings.

Once while camping on open prairie in Texas, I felt it was safer to reposition my trailer to face front into the wind. This may not work in a thunderstorm because wind changes direction frequently.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:51 PM   #4

As mentioned already, a good surge/electrical protection system such as the Progressive EMS. If your slide outs have an awning, be prepared to retract them if the winds are very heavy. Obviously, retract your main awning before the storm hits. Consider having a weather radio with you. Know where you are going to go if you need better shelter. Do you have insurance coverage for hail damage?

It can sound scary, but we've sat out some strong storms and you just have to think about making sure nothing can blow around or get damaged due to heavy wind and rains.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 03:05 PM   #5

Monitor a weather radio and know what county you're in.

If winds are predicted always bring your awning in and fold up chairs, etc. You don't want them flying around and hitting your RV or vehicle.

If hair is forecasted and you have slide toppers, bring the slides in.

Regarding tornado activity... know where the nearest shelter is and most often, it's a concrete restroom. We spent many hours in a restroom in Alabama's state park. The ranger would come around to each RV to advise us and everyone grabbed a chair, drink, pets, kids, radio, sometimes a deck of cards and we had a happy hour - didn't matter which side of the restroom - men's or women's - all grouped together and became instant friends!

Hopefully, you're not parked too close to the lake or stream or in a low spot!

Pre-plan and bring reading material and games and plenty of food!!

Make the best of it and enjoy the sounds.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #6

“If hair is forecasted and you have slide toppers, bring the slides in.”

must be a different kind if t-storm.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:42 PM   #7

I try to park butt to the wind. With the fiver I hook up but leave the landing gear down and supporting about half the weight.Bring in slide, pack away loose stuff and ride er out. Had to head for the shelter one night, the kids were scared so we made a dash through the rain.

2011 GMC Diesel 2500 HD
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:05 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
1. When you check in, ask where the closest shelter is in case you need to abandon your RV.
2. Know what county or parish you are in & get the numbers to the sheriff & fire depts.
3. Have a battery operated weather radio. You may lose power, which will take with it internet & you may be in an area with little to no cellphone coverage. In that case your computers/cellphone would be useless for monitoring weather.
4. Have working LED lanterns & flashlights in case of a power outage after dark.
5. Roll up awning & put away anything you have outside that could go flying BEFORE the wind picks up. Roll up your awning before going to bed, regardless. Nothing like trying to bring in an awning at 2am, with wind gusts & pouring rain. Ask me how I know.
6. If severe weather & your slides have toppers, bring in your slides to avoid having your toppers torn.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:34 PM   #9

Not to much more I can add other to check for large dead tree limbs above your RV that could be a hazard to fall, I have read horror stories of severe injuries and worse from storms.

About 12 yrs ago our awning got trashed from a micro burst, we found out after the fact that our past insurance only covered damage on the inside of our RV. Our present insurance now covers everything. Just something to be aware of.

Mike
Old 06-25-2021, 08:33 PM   #10

Many of the Jensen radios that RV's have installed in them have the weather bands. Check yours and see, and learn how it works.

Charles
Old 06-27-2021, 04:03 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slharman1 View Post
Anything I need to know about staying in my TT during a thunderstorm? Looks like our maiden voyage next week will be thunderstorms all week at inks lake

As others have said, pull the awnings in and pull the shore power if it looks like lightning nearby. We've been through several over the years in a variety of rigs and never felt the need to run for a shelter. If the storms get that bad in that location you'll usually see signs to shelters (check the bathrooms) or just ask. We've spent exactly one night over the years hovering around the weather radio when a storm moved unexpectedly and hit our area very hard. A powerful storm can topple rigs, but they're an exception. If it's predicted to be that bad, stay home.