Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #15

Whatever you do, don't go to Sierra Vista!!! Their motto is "Visits Last a Life Time"... I lived there for 20 years before I was able to get out... Of course, I was a kid and my dad was in the army, so it really wasn't my choice...LOL Naw, the whole area is nice and if you can get to places like Bisbee to see the copper mine and Ft. Huachuca to the museum and of course Tombstone. I always loved the gunfight shows...
I had a photo shop teacher that was a Tombstone Vigilante.. That was cool.. Here is a link.

Tombstone Vigilantes Homepage
WoodrowRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Visit our blog and see pic of Tombstone and Bisbee. We especially enjoyed the story of Ed Schieffelin, the founder of Tombstone.

RVGR8escape: TOMBSTONE, ARIZONA FEBRUARY 12, 2014

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
I visited Tombstone while staying at the Kartchner State Park Campground. Second a visit to the Courthouse Museum. Some photos here at Day 46.

If you follow the previous & next links, you can find some of the area locations I visited on the trip.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #18

Here's the web site for the SKP (Escapee) Saguaro Co-op park in Benson. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the park....even though it's not plush like in Palm Springs. You'll feel right at home there. Also, it's not next to the railroad tracks....it's on a terraced hillside south of town on Hwy 80 toward Tombstone. It's not like being in the town RV parks right next to the tracks. For $50/week for non-members, what's to loose?

SKP Saguaro Home Page
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:18 PM   #19

We day-tripped to Tombstone and yes the court house is great but the "gun battle" in the street was behind a fence and there was an entrance fee!! Big Nose Kate Saloon is nice (there is a stairway down to an old silver mine in the middle of the saloon).
We also liked Williams, Az. We stayed at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel/RV park. The hotel has a fantastic buffett and an old steam train that will take you to the Grand Canyon for the day. The Grand Canyon Railway also has the "Polar Express" train at Christmas time where all the passengers ride in their pajamas just like in the movie and ride out on the train to see Santa! It was wonderful, and the town of Williams, Az is VERY tourist friendly. Route 66 runs through town and there is a place called "The Red Garter Inn" that was a Bordello in the 1800's but now is this quaint little cafe. The owner loves to tell stories about Williams, Az during the gold/silver rush. It is worth the trip there. Also in Williams, Az there is Bearazona (a wild life park) and Planes of Fame Museum, and Bedrock City (with life size replicas of Bedrock and all of the Flintstones Characters). A short drive away is the town of Sedona with views that are breathtaking! Also Slippery Rock State Park is wonderful to see!
The best place I have found for travel tips is TripAdvisor under the "things to do" tab. Just type in the town you plan to visit and all the information is there.
Good luck with your travel plans!
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Kennedy View Post
...The parks in Benson you hear the railroad and the whistle at 3 am. ...
Excuse me! I thought it was not an official RV Park unless you had a train whistle at 3 am. Am I wrong?
Bob
Old 10-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #21

In Clovis, NM we stayed at a park with a Dr. Pepper train. You know, 10, 2, and 4.
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #22

Tombstone in my opinion is just a big rip off. There was trash everywhere and the only thing you are not charged for is the air you breathe. Everything has a fee attached to it and the OK Corral has a tall fence around it to make sure you do not get a glimpse of it without paying. Boot Hill only asked for donations. Bisbee is a great place to visit.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #23

Tombstone/Bisbee area

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
Tombstone in my opinion is just a big rip off. There was trash everywhere and the only thing you are not charged for is the air you breathe. Everything has a fee attached to it and the OK Corral has a tall fence around it to make sure you do not get a glimpse of it without paying. Boot Hill only asked for donations. Bisbee is a great place to visit.

There are many tourists that dont use trash cans.
It is a place of commerce!
It was clean when we were there last Feb. And coupons were widely available for 1/2 price into the major attractions. Was less than $20 for the 2 of us that fine day!
The Courthouse had the best history and artifacts.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you are retired military there is a campground on Fort Huachuca (wa-chew-ka) in Sierra Vista. !8 miles from Tombstone if you ask a local for the back road, all paved, directions. About 30 minutes to Bisbee and all state hwys. Bisbee Breakfast Club in the Lowell area of Bisbee is a must. Don't get the toast, get the biscuit with breakfast. It is about 6" diam. and made fresh all morning. Some times we have to wait for the biscuit to come out of the oven.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
If you are retired military there is a campground on Fort Huachuca (wa-chew-ka) in Sierra Vista. !8 miles from Tombstone if you ask a local for the back road, all paved, directions. About 30 minutes to Bisbee and all state hwys. Bisbee Breakfast Club in the Lowell area of Bisbee is a must. Don't get the toast, get the biscuit with breakfast. It is about 6" diam. and made fresh all morning. Some times we have to wait for the biscuit to come out of the oven.
X-military but not retired, so no-go there. But I am a big biscuit guy so the Breakfast Club tip is most appreciated. Especially if you can get gravy with great big ol' biscuit

Mmmmm Mmmmm good
Old 10-14-2014, 07:20 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
The OK Corral is the actual site of the gunfight and the re-enactment is performed by actors that get paid. You want it for free ? We enjoyed the diorama about the history of Tombstone (included in the gun fight admission) as much as we liked the gunfight.

We've never seen the place dirty, but there are lots of people in town every day and some might create litter.

All in all it's worth seeing
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #27

I think I gave just my opinion of Tombstone. Others may think differently. I could understand a single fee to see the sites not a fee for each and every building.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #28

If you like history like we do you are going to the right area.

To be more centrally located for visiting Tombstone, Bisbee, historic Fort Huachuca Museum, Karctner Caverns, nearby ghost towns or Mexican border towns of Aqua Prieta or Nogales for great shopping and so much more we stayed at Tombstone Territories RV Resort. They are Passport America (50% discount) for 7 days then you can use your Good Sams for 10% discount after.

We also chose TTRVR was that it was out in the desert and not stuck inside a park in town with small sites and lights. Sites at TTRVP are 40’ x 80’ pull-throughs (no backing in is needed!)

Here is the view at night;

and during the day.

Couple pics from Tombstone;

Our Trip Journal has more info and many additional photos about our visit to the area in January of 2013 starting with the Huachuca City, AZ January 21st entry.
Us out West is offline   Reply With Quote