Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #1

TR: Kings Canyon/Sequoia

This was not an epic adventure -- just six or seven hours from home, Covid-isolated, familiar territory. But very pleasant nonetheless. Lots of photos of Sequoia trees:

Look, Mom, We're Camping!: Kings Canyon/Sequoia: November 2020
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 06:32 PM   #2

Nice Report.
I thought that area was closed for the winter. I am jealous, especially since you said it did not get below freezing. I wanted to take my TT out but worried about things freezing. Opted for a hotel trip to Bishop instead.
You are right down the road from me (Lakewood near LB airport).
We stayed at Eshom a few years ago and made that trek on the dirt road 6 times or so. My best time was about 30 minutes. It was brutal then too. One evening heading back, a Tahoe was stuck in one of the ruts and I could barely squeeze by. They had already called a tow service and didn't want any help. Another time, I saw a guy trying to take a TT on that road. I told him no way he was going to make it. In the summer, there are fantastic dogwoods right where you cross from national forest to national park. Eshom is a great spot, but getting to the NP from there is huge pain. Going around takes 45 minutes plus but dirt road beats you up.
I was all set this summer to do a dispersed camping trip over by Big Meadow when they shut down the forest.
I'd be interested in any areas you'd recommend for dispersed camping in that general area.
Way off topic, do you have anyone local you use for maintenance? Looking for someone to do the wheel bearings. I called a dealer this summer and they quoted over 1000 for wheel bearings, brake adjustment, and a wash. No thanks.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:35 PM   #3

Big Meadow is the most popular boondocking spot in that area -- but there are hidden campsites all over the back country. Grab a motor vehicle use map, and spend a few days cruising the forest roads to find a place to your liking.

I am going to try to PM you with the name of my mechanic.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:17 AM   #4

Dan,

Thanks for sharing YOUR back yard - when one of the Marvels of Nature is just so Close, I can understand taking it for Granted, But OMG, they just Beautiful - Amazing !

No matter how often you See these Trees they always are just continue to be amazing - I appreciate your sharing your adventure.

The picture of the Seedling is especially Heartwarming - just to know and be able to follow the growth of those future Giants helps lets you understand our place in Time.

Been a while for us - with the last visit being to Washington State's Olympic Forest and the Western Red Cedar - also very Impressive. The three memories were the Ocean - the Size - and the Number of just Beautiful Seedling we saw.

Don't forget the Weed of the Rockies - The Aspen - while not as tall, they are connected and are also Very old and Very Large.

Thanks again for sharing,

Aspen;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0084.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	310098  
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:10 AM   #5

Great photo of that road -- it invites the viewer to go see what's around the next turn!!
Old 12-03-2020, 10:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdan View Post
Great photo of that road -- it invites the viewer to go see what's around the next turn!!
Dan,

Just off RT 133 out of the town of Marble a place you need to check out - along with Crystal Mill, they are right up your alley -

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...4dUDCAc&uact=5
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:11 PM   #7

Sounded like a great trip, until I saw the snow!
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote