Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2020, 09:00 PM   #1

Traditional Campgrounds converted to Glamping

I thought "glamping" was an abstract term until I discovered what happened to Yosemite West / Mariposa KOA which is now AutoCamp Yosemite. AutoCamp owns two other glamping campgrounds.

While KOA prices are usually pricey, check out the AutoCamp prices -- $200 to over $400+ for a night in an Airstream. Middle class America not welcome.

Hopefully, this isn't a widespread trend. However, in the 50s - 60s my family used to spend summers in northern WI resorts which have now become private condos.

Anyone know of other glamping campground chains like AutoCamp?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2020, 09:28 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
No, not really in Washington.
What I have noticed is many older private RV parks turning into "RV Resorts". Putting a sizable investment into one that's sorta run down isn't really a bad thing IMHO. If the Washington State Park system is wise they would do the same. Many, if not most State Parks here could sure use some major improvements. Most have been grossly underfunded since the 90's, and it's not because they are not charging enough. We tend to stay at private campgrounds mostly. Better everything.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:14 PM   #3

The term 'glamping' to me is like running your fingernail down a chalkboard.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:07 AM   #4

The term "glamping" conjures up visions of big tag axle coaches that never attract dirt occupied by people who would be just as at home at a snooty yacht club or very exclusive golf club.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:15 AM   #5

They are proposing to build one from scratch near Sedona. I don't think it is apples to apples to compare prices where they supply the Airstream versus what we pay for a spot to park our own RV. Expensive, yes, but interesting concept. More comparable I think to what it would cost for a hotel room. And a lot cheaper way for new wanna bees to try an RV than renting one.
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:34 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
The AutoCamp is an improvement over what the KOA used to be. We stayed there three years ago and was not impressed with their layout or accommodations.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:14 AM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle Drifter View Post
The term "glamping" conjures up visions of big tag axle coaches that never attract dirt occupied by people who would be just as at home at a snooty yacht club or very exclusive golf club.
Well, since I rented my yacht to Below Deck Mediterranean and sold my membership at Pebble Beach Golf Club, (they were letting in people of less stature) my tag axle coach is all I have.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:29 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Present!
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:22 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
A couple of campgrounds near us have gone the glamping route. One is no longer a "campground". They put tiny houses on the sites & now you pay $200+/night to stay. Another they've brought in really nice small log cabins & are putting in these deluxe tents or conestoga wagons that have fancy beds/nightstands, chandeliers & you walk out onto decks with rocking chairs...etc. Again, pricey.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #10

Quote:
You have never scene my tag stuck in the mud because I am driving it across a field or down a dirt/mud road. I have stuck coaches many times. I always get them out though. They clean up eventually. Don't own a boat and I don't golf.
zb39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:39 PM   #11

Their campground, their rules.

We just did some research on private campground in Georgia and it seemed to be right up our alley, until we found the statement 50 plus, no kids. It's quite obvious they don't want kids there. So, if I have kids, I know I'm just not welcome there. No reason to boo-hoo over it, just move on to somewhere else. It doesn't hurt our feeling at all. We were planning on being their without any of the grand kids, just the wife and I. But we both agree, as annoying as kids can be in campgrounds, it just not the same unless kids are there. There's something refreshing having children around (especially when they are not your own!!!!).

It would be the same as staying at a "clothing optional" campground. We've never stayed at one, but it doesn't hurt our feelings they have different rules. Different strokes for different folks.

Personally, $200 - $400 a night is WAY too much for my budget, even if i did own an Airstream. I'll pass on this campground.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:46 PM   #12

Glamping has changed

The term "glamping" used to mean buying an old canned ham or shasta TT and fixing it up to use on the road. Check out all the beautiful ones owned by Women on the Fly. Some, like my sister, fixed one up in my other sisters back yard to stay in when she visited. They have since put an addition on the house and share the house so the glamper has become a craft "shed" where my sister makes jewelry. I like the idea of having a few older camper or cabins in a campground so those that don't have RVs can experience some of the lifestyle along side real RVers. It might turn them on and get them inspired to join us. My DIL won't tent camp and they don't want to have an RV but enjoy staying in the cabins at their favorite campground. Maybe someday they will venture into RV ownership.
Places like Paws Up in Montana are for the hoidy toidy that want to say they went camping and it is like the rich europeans traveling through Africa with their native guides of old.
vanessa s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:36 PM   #13

OK, I've changed my opinion a bit from my post above after exploring this campground's web site a bit deeper. It appears this campground is set up and designed for folks to rent a tent, a cabin, or a trailer that is ALREADY set up and in place. You do not bring your own and park it. This is NOT a traditional campground.

I suppose I missed this, but should have caught the idea with that word "Glamping." For a price of $200 - $400 a night, yes, I can understand why they would charge that much. A cheep motel in the middle of no-where will cost $100 a night.

Again, these campers, tents, and cabins are already set up. You do not bring your own. So, apparently, all the trailers set up for rental are Airstreams.

Big, big difference here than camping with your own equipment. This is definitely a different style of camping, all to itself.

I place this into the same category as a Railroad 'Caboose Motel" like this one: Click here

Or, an old Jail that's been converted into a Bed and Breakfast:

Click here
Old 11-21-2020, 04:43 PM   #14

Honestly, that is just an open air hotel if you ask me. It is for those who want to get outside, but don't own any way to do it on their own. No tent and no RV is needed. Really, in my opinion, it can't be considered a 'campground' if you can't bring in your own place to sleep.
ClassAboater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground