Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2021, 09:20 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
This is the only result from our contacts to the media yesterday. But as the article says, "vehicles over 30' not advised" on the only possible way out. No large vehicles of any size allowed on the other road.

https://www.mtdemocrat.com/news/cras...IOdSaSR2VZq16k
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2021, 09:26 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
This is the only result from our contacts to the media yesterday. But as the article says, "vehicles over 30' not advised" on the only possible way out. No large vehicles of any size allowed on the other road.

https://www.mtdemocrat.com/news/cras...IOdSaSR2VZq16k
I meant a 5th wheel rolling down a mountain would get instant attention.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:18 AM   #31

Hopefully there is an Engineer Army Reserve Center or National Guard unit somewhere nearby which could erect a "Bailey Bridge" (temporary bridge) to evacuate the patrons of the campground. They could do this in lieu of a weekend drill with permission of their commander.
Some highway departments have a share program where there are temporary bridges in a pool which can be erected
How long of a distance does this bridge span? How far down to the bottom of the creek or river?
I have seen bridges which have been hit by motor vehicles and they did more cosmetic damage than structural damage. No doubt any highway superintendent would be very cautious in any assessment of the integrity of the bridge. He would call in a group of engineers to make decisions of whether the bridge was stable or not.
Be patient. I'm sure someone is working on this. Emergency services would be of paramount importance with people stranded with no chance of leaving.
Meanwhile I'd insist the management not allow campfires or anything else which might be a threat to your or anyone elses well being.
Please keep us informed.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenrbass View Post
Has anyone called a news station to get some media coverage?

I have never seen a crane deployed in a situation like this, but it would be interesting to see.

If the county can't get the bridge open, maybe they can work on the back road with a dozer.
I live less than an hour from Coloma, and this bridge is all over the local news. But all they are doing is showing a map of the LONG way around it. No mention of the detour being impassable for RVs!
AlfaBaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:24 PM   #33

Someone needs to give a call to Mammoet. Those guys would bring a crane and suspend a bridge in a few minutes, and everyone would have a way out.

If you wanted to move a cruise ship from one ocean to another without touching water.... Mammoet could probably do it. They are crazy.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:33 PM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Sarge, and I thought I had a rough day! I hope you are able to get this resolved as soon as practical, hard to believe this has happened and it seems no one wants to step up to help.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:41 PM   #35

I’m so sorry. This is pretty crazy, the article states it could takes months.

What r your thoughts on what to do next? Will you leave the RV?
GonetoRaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:35 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm so sorry for your predicament. That sounds like a horror story. Hope there is a resolution soon so you can get your RV out, and everyone else too.
You never know what to expect!
Thanks,
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:38 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, we are out. It wasn't pretty, but we made it. The head of the county building department and a Sheriff's supervisor was there this morning. The bridge is in fact closed, UFN. Maybe months, or years if they decide to tear it down. Either way, I was getting the heck out!

The building dept head for the county decided that the only way to get out was Bayne Road, yeah that's the one that's marked for no large vehicles. So the Sheriff and I drove it in his car, stopped and measured the curves. Some were really tight, but with a spotter (another county guy) me and 18 other RV's of various descriptions decided to flee the park.

The head guy called out a crew to cut some of the most obstructing trees overhanging the road, but some were missed. (I have the pin stripes to prove it) I was about #5 in line to make the trip, with Diane following in the Jeep. Some it was ok, but the 6-7 mile trip took about a half hour at 5-8 mph. A few of the curves caused my heart to skip a beat, but the spotter was guiding my right front tire as it rode along the harry edge in some places. About 3 of the curves were nail biters, but the rest I did myself with Diane watching my rear tires. A few times I did hang the outside dual off the edge, but made it back on the road.

The road is open to the public, and it's a two way, one lane road. Unless your me, then it becomes a "my way or no way" road. Backing up was out of the question. We got to the end and turned out onto a few other two lane roads, but even some of those were pretty tight with zero shoulder and trees encroaching into the road. And then there is always Semi's and logging trucks flying by that refuse to slow down.

But we are out, and it's one of those places I will not return to. But that may not be an issue if the county demo's the bridge, I don't think the RV park could survive for a couple of years with just tent campers coming up the back way.

Diane had contacted the local news paper and a few other news outlets in the area. The paper called her back and a reporter interviewed her, and published her interview today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Escape 1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	344445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Escape 2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	344446  

Name:	Escape 3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	344447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Escape 5.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	344448  

Name:	Escape 6.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	344449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Escape 7.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	344450  

mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:44 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Glad you all made it. I know that would stress my heart out.
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:50 PM   #39

Now that you know what you can do we'll be waiting for your next adventure! Perhaps try the Moki Dugway in Utah. There's a YouTube of a 40' MH driving it and the link is given in a post today in this section of the forum by Gammel. Check it out.

Glad you're out!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:14 AM   #40

Wow, that's a campfire story for sure. Glad you could get out of there.
I am curious how you went 6-7 miles at 5-8 miles per hour in a half hour.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:00 AM   #41

I grew up there, i was going to tell you to go up the hill but that you might not like it though it would get you out of there.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:20 AM   #42

Wow, great story. Thanks for sharing.
gwill1010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv park