Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2021, 11:48 AM   #1

Travel route advise - MN to Denver

We are leaving MN heading for Denver, the first ten days of Nov. What can we expect (Traditionally) for weather during that time? We'll then turn east for Tx. Thank you for your information.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 12:29 PM   #2

Don't guess.

Use this site to scroll along your route/timing for temperature, precip and wind:

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=44.9;-97...temperature-2m
Old 09-20-2021, 12:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Don't guess.

Use this site to scroll along your route/timing for temperature, precip and wind:

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=44.9;-97...temperature-2m
Doesn't help with trending/averages/maximums during a window of time.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelSolo View Post
Doesn't help with trending/averages/maximums during a window of time.

Completely agree.

But a trip will be made on particular days-- temperatures and precipitation can vary hugely that time of year on that route.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Completely agree.

But a trip will be made on particular days-- temperatures and precipitation can vary hugely that time of year on that route.
I use https://morecast.com/en/plan-your-route

So when you put the route in you can get the forecast along the route at the approx times you pass through
Old 09-20-2021, 02:41 PM   #6

Enter each big city you'll be passing through and what day and you can get a day/year weather history. You can kind of get an idea but as we all know, weather changes.

https://www.wunderground.com/history
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:45 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Awesome links to some great weather information guys!!!!!!!
stinger608 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:24 PM   #8

I use Windy.com As it has the different weather forecast models for the upcoming 10 days. It can give you a good idea of what type of weather you are driving into - Wind, Rain, Snow, etc. Or if you want to look for that better 3 - 4 day window of good travel weather if flexible when you leave.
TbearKline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:40 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
To answer the question, it is a crapshoot.....Deer hunting is the first weekend in November and last year we were hunting in shorts and orange t-shirts. The year before we had 6" of snow a couple days before. A number of years ago, we had 31" of snow on Halloween night........

As the others have said, keep your eyes on the forecast and plan a route around the weather.

Good luck!!!!
STRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:56 PM   #10

We just got home from a trip to Denver. I cant help you with routing but I can tell you this. If youre planning to use I70 W from the Colorado line to Denver, I strongly advise you to find a different route. That stretch of road is an absolute piece of crap. A lot of it is concrete, every seam has holes, the repairs, well, the holes would probably be better. The asphalt sections are rutted so bad if its raining, youd best just stop for your safety. I was dodging back and forth, driving left lane if it was better, straddling the lanes, anything to keep from pounding my coach to pieces. Its bad enough a trooper had been following me quite a ways doing this, and he just passed me by, giving me no grief. He knows how bad it is.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:28 PM   #11

Other than the occasional exceptional year you should be good that time of the year to drop south to I80 and take it and I76 through to Denver. Only thing to check into besides weather is whether campgrounds are still open. Many close the end of October although I know of a few in Nebraska that stay open almost all year, with some limited connections.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:22 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by old duffer View Post
We are leaving MN heading for Denver, the first ten days of Nov. What can we expect (Traditionally) for weather during that time? We'll then turn east for Tx. Thank you for your information.
You don't say what part of Minnesota. North of Brainard you could be easily leaving in snow or sleet. If you are south east, the first week in November is pretty safe.

You say 10 days. When traveling in the winter you have to be flexible. I pulled in to Dumas Texas, nice little city park with 50 amp for a quick overnight. And free too. 7 pm weather report sad blizzard and 60 mph winds. Didn't plan to hard at packing up. Next morning 3 feet of snow blown up against my steps. Stayed one extra day and it was over by the time I left.

That early in the season, a storm, snow or sleet, probably won't last that long and will quickly dissipate.

The most direct route from most of Minnesota is I35 to Des Moines and then out I80. But I like a little more scenic route. I go out I90 to Kadoka, down through the Badlands to Chadron Nebraska and 385 South to I 76. It's bout 100 miles further but such an enjoyable trip.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:16 AM   #13

Thanks to all the very helpful information on our upcoming travels. As was mentioned a couple of times "it's all a crap shot that time of year", but I'm now armed with ideas.
Thanks.

Tags
route, travel