Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #1

Smile Travel and campgrounds around Memphis Tenn.

My wife and I are planning to take a little trip around area, and have heard some things that worry us about safety around Memphis area. . Any been there and have any suggestions for campground on outskirts of Memphis and then east towards Nashville? We from central Iowa and travel in f250 cc truck and 32 ft Holiday Rambler travel trailer, We don't need campgrounds with lot of childrens activities or nature trails although we have nothing against that, My wife travels with oxygen so no need for walking trails, or even lot of adult activities as she not up to much health wise. Thinking of some scenic driving areas and sites
. Plan on some time in June 2017. Any input would be appreciated Thanks Jack & Judy
jjrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2017, 10:18 PM   #2

We stayed at the Graceland RV park right across the street from Graceland (Elvis Presley's home) Great place. While you're there make sure you see the ducks at the Peabody Hotel. They march from the roof, down the elevator into the fountain in the middle of the hotel. In the evening they return to their home on the roof. Call the hotel for times. Be sure to visit Graceland and the museums's near the park and Presley's jet and airplane.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:31 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Memphis RV

We also stay at Graceland RV. They have 24 hour security and controlled access.

Gibson Guitar Factory tour is also interesting.

We also get ribs at Central BBQ. 2249 Central Ave, Memphis, TN 38104

Jerry
Old 05-20-2017, 05:49 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since you mentioned scenic sites I would look at Tom Sawyer RV park in West Memphis, AR. It is right on the AR/TN border and a short drive to Memphis. It is right on the Mississippi River and great for watching river traffic go by. If you consider this park, call ahead as it is closed right now due to river height and flooding. They are use to it and reopen a week after the river gets below flood stage. They go through this pretty much every year.

Others have mentioned Graceland and the Peabody. Another inside attraction I would consider is the Bass Pro Shops at the Pyramid. It is one of a kind, and one of the nicest you will find.

As far as food goes we like Central BBQ, Memphis BBQ (favorite), and Gus's Fried Chicken. There is a BBQ joint on every corner here.

You mention reading things that worry you about your safety. Yep, Memphis has some less than desirable areas. I have lived in the Memphis area for 5 years now, and haven't had any problems. Just like any big city, there are areas to avoid.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi,
This is another vote for Tom Sawyer RV Park. It is an interesting ride to get there, but once there you'll enjoy it. Like previously posted you are right in the river. Go to Tom Sawyer's RV Park to take a look.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:41 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Another vote for Tom Sawyer Park. We were there a few years ago for three cold rainy days, but we're never bored once because of the perfect views the sites have of the river and its' barge traffic.
Try it, you'll like it, but as suggested call ahead to check for closure due to temporary flooding during rainy times.
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Tom Sawyers is pretty nice to watch the barge traffic. ABC campground north of West Memphis is a good campground.

BBQ....the Original Corey's is a must- The Rendezvous downtown in an alley is famous and good.

I can't recommend a tour at St Jude Hospital strong enough. It will change your life.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We also liked Tom Sawyer RV park. Great views of the Mississippi river.

We stayed at Nashville North KOA last summer and liked it. It's a bit off the beaten path, but that's what we liked about it., They advertise themselves as having the largest store in the KOA system. Great owners who supply free country music artists on Thursday evenings. I would definitely go back again.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:11 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nashville RV Parks

In Nashville, we like the KOA on Music Valley Drive. Near Grand Ole Opry. Catch a show if you get a chance.

For a more scenic park about 30 minutes north east of Nashville, I have heard Cages Bend Park is great. This is a corps of engineers park. (I have not been there yet, but heard good things)

Regards, Jerry
Old 05-20-2017, 04:38 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
About an hour south of Memphis is Tupelo, MS. Campground at Barnes Crossing is wonderful, and Tupelo is fun to visit.

Memphis is a big city, roads are awful, and not a safe tourist destination. Go to what you want to see, but don't plan on roaming around. Visit the Pyramid, Graceland, and the Peabody hotel. Eat ribs at Rendezvous, but that is about all Memphis has.

Going to Nashville on 40, half hour before the city is Dickson. Montgomery Bell State Park is wonderful. Easy to go in and out from Nashville and the park is beautiful.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:41 PM   #11

Thumbs up

Thank to you all for your input on my question. Sounds like some very good suggestions and things to see and eat. I know the river scenery would by great. Also appreciate heads up on things in and around Nashville. Thanks again.
jjrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:25 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out T.O. Fuller State Park in Memphis. Area is not great but we have stayed there several times over last 3 to 4 years. Security is great, so even though the area is not great we have never had a problem. In fact we are leaving on 5/24 for 5 days In the park. We live in St. Louis and like to watch Cardinals AAA farm club in Memphis. In Nashville there is COE park that is good. Look at the RV campground reviews (www.rvparksreview.com) for good information.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:47 PM   #13

Rendezvous is a must , be very careful away from Beal Street, Memphis is a high crime area , Graceland, use their parking only, get in and straight out
sallisawfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:17 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Tom Sawyer RV park looks interesting as I sail past it pushing barges! That's what I do and hope to some day lay around and watch my coworkers slip on down the river! Enjoy your trip!
Bosunmate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, travel