Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2015, 08:33 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Traveling Bar Harbor

Planning trip in our 40' MH to Maine end of August. How are the roads out to Northeast Harbor and Barbor for motor homes? Any campgrounds friending for big rigs? Thanks for the help.
Mb49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We stayed at Bar Harbor Campground (The Bar Harbor Campground) last year and it was very good. Plenty of room for big rigs and situated on a former blueberry farm. Lots of wild blueberries around for picking. They don't take advanced reservations but we were there in early August, showed up on a Monday and there was plenty of room. They are also the closest to the park on the free bus loop if you don't want to take your car. One final advantage, not unique to them, is deliver to your rig of nice lobster dinners from one of the local places. Yum!!

Good luck.
BoA36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:46 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
That sounds great! Our first MH so I was a little concerned about the roads in the area being not suitable for a 40' rig. Thanks for the info on the campground and we look forward to seeing it.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:19 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you go into downtown Bar Harbor, find one of the ice cream shops that have blueberry soft serve. It's the best in the country.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:43 AM   #5

We're in Bucksport til the first of Sept. Plenty of campgrounds will be able to handle your rig. The roads won't be much of a problem, just traffic, it's the busy time of year. We like to stay on the fringes of the most popular places and then day trip in the towed. Went into Bar harbor last week(Wed.) and it was pretty crowded, again it's the time of year. Make sure to plan on Acadia too, with a drive up Cadillac Mtn. for the view. As I mentioned on another thread, I'm sorry to inform you that I've personally created a lobster shortage. And my waistline will attest to that.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Traveling their next week. I will post our progress.

John Mack
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-28-2015, 03:23 PM   #7

We stay at Narrows Too. Big rig friendly as is Bar harbor CG as mention previously. If you don't have a toad, there is a free shuttle that services all key the campgrounds that take you to Bar Harbor and thru Acadia NP.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:58 PM   #8
YC1

Stayed at Hadleys. Ok place but not spectacular. We were there in a 42 footer. You need to be a confident driver to make the turn after their Office. It was very tight.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:15 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is just the kind of info I knew I could get from the irv2 forum. Looking forward to getting on the road. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2015, 04:50 AM   #10

Just left the Bar Harbor / Oceanside KOA 2 days ago. Great location. Great staff. Easy in and out. Very clean. Several excellent 50amp pull through sites with full hook ups (reserve in advance)

This was our second stay at a KOA on our first ever long trip. I must say that I am not impressed based on the price. If you don't mind paying a premium for your campsite for no apparent reason, then the KOA experience has been positive for us so far. If you are budget conscious, there are plenty of great alternatives mentioned above that will give you the same experience.
Skeetobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:56 AM   #11

We will be in Bar Harbor the week after Labor Day staying that the KOA. From the reviews it looks promising, also the Bar Harbor Campground gets good reviews but does not take reservations and only accepts cash for payment.

Good luck and report back if you can.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:05 AM   #12

There's a couple in Trenton also. One is Timberland, never stayed there but drove through, it looked adequate. The other I know nothing about. You can look them both up on www.campgroundreviews.com One I would NEVER recommend is Patten Pond near Ellsworth. Just look up the reviews. We stayed there 4yrs. ago and it was terrible. I should've known just by driving in by the condition of the road.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:12 PM   #13

Traveling Bar Harbor

Heading there next week as well.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel