Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2021, 05:55 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Traveling in Florida in January 2022

We live in Michigan and winter in south Texas. This season we are considering going to Florida first, since we have friends and relatives to visit there. We would be traveling around Florida visiting people during approximately the 2nd and 3rd week of January 2022, then heading west on I-10 for Texas. Areas we would visit would be mostly in the middle and northern half of the state. I know there are many people here that are familiar with all things Florida so I would just like to get a feel for what to expect in the way of finding 1-2 day at a time camping sites in that area and time frame. We would prefer staying in RV parks with hookups, but we travel in a 30' class A towing a car and can do the Walmart overnight thing if we have to. I'm not looking for specific parks at this point, just a general idea of what to expect from folks who know.

Should we be booking our 2-day January stays right now? (October)
Should we just wing it by calling around a day or two in advance of arrival?
Should we just forget Florida in January and go directly to Texas?

Thanks in advance
Vibeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2021, 06:10 AM   #2

Should have already booked FL and/or TX. You may get lucky and find a cancellation.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:16 AM   #3

Given your size range, unless you are already on a set schedule and route, plenty of rv parks in north and central Florida than can accommodate you for one or two nights. Almost all keep a few spaces for those folks passing through. Now the east and west coast parks of Florida are a different story. Best wishes and safe travels.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedo View Post
Given your size range, unless you are already on a set schedule and route, plenty of rv parks in north and central Florida than can accommodate you for one or two nights. Almost all keep a few spaces for those folks passing through. Now the east and west coast parks of Florida are a different story. Best wishes and safe travels.
I would agree with this. It would be tough to get a spot in Fort Myers (where I am) on spare of the moment. If it were me, I would try to book your spots now... But I am a plan in advance kind of traveler.

-B
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:45 AM   #5

very generally speaking the farther north of I-4 you go the fewer problems you'll have finding spots. that being said i'd be making reservations in FL and along the way to TX.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:27 AM   #6

Make reservations now. Don't expect to just show up a find a spot. Also, overnighting at Walmart is increasingly forbidden.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:47 AM   #7

Since you're going to the middle and northern areas your chances are better than the warmer south.

Pick some parks away from the big cities and away from the beaches even if you have a drive a little farther for your visiting. The 'plain Jane' parks would be better than the big 'resorts'. Also look into county parks or state parks. WalMarts are pretty much out in Florida.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:53 AM   #8

We have been going to florida every winter for 20 years and owned property in Hobe Sound. Agree with staying north of I-4. We were getting bored going to one RV resort and staying put for 3-4 months. Two years ago we visited 32 state and private campgrounds between December and April. We could always find a spot under the following conditions:

1. Have to be flexible on dates. May not get a reservation at a specific park on a fixed date. Also have to be flexible on park type and location ie state parks generally have no sewer hookups in florida but always a dumpsite and bathhouses/restrooms.

2. Take any available campsite and be willing to move campsites within the same park if you need to stay multiple days and can only get 1 day at a time.Just being willing to do this the park will often have reservation cancellations and sometimes you can stay in the same site.

3. If you have not made a reservation and want to stay at a given park, show up around check out time as some folks inevitably leave early.

4. Ask if the park has an overflow or standby area. We have used this option a number of times until a site became available. Generally will be drycamping.

5. If you go to most camp websites and enter a request for multiple days you will likely get a not available response because they cant find a single site for multiple days. Many parks let you review each individual site and this is usually how we put multiple days together at a busy park but being open to moving campsites. I also narrow my requests...why look at 40' campsites when I have a 24' motorhome and these sites outnumber the larger sites.

6. Have a one night backup plan...walmart,cracker barrel. cabelas etc.

This is actually a fun way to travel and visit many different areas of the state unless you are a real nervous nelly and cant enjoy the trip without everything planned out in advance. I cant wait to hear the responses to what an idiotic plan this is but it has worked for us on multiple trips...one word...FLEXIBILITY
Old 10-18-2021, 03:15 PM   #9
Community Moderator

You may be too late. The northern border is scheduled to open here soon and you may have lost your chance to get a good spot.

We booked a spot at Gulf Shore state park in June, for Christmas week. It was the last spot for that week, same thing for Stella Mare on Galveston Island for New Years week, very few spots were available there.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW22r View Post
This is actually a fun way to travel and visit many different areas of the state unless you are a real nervous nelly and cant enjoy the trip without everything planned out in advance. I cant wait to hear the responses to what an idiotic plan this is but it has worked for us on multiple trips...one word...FLEXIBILITY
We totally agree with the way you do it! Not idiotic at all!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW22r View Post
Now that's how we like to roll as well. Total flexibility and as little advanced planning on actual CG's or O/N locations as possible. Heck, we might find we want to spend a few days longer or shorter somewhere as we travel before we get there.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:10 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with the others, as long as you're not trying to get in to a 'destination' area you should be fine. We live in Florida and take somewhat impromptu 2 and 3 day trips, the middle of the state is much easier to get into on short notice than either coast is. That excludes the Orlando area where the Mouse is quite the attraction and can clutter up the RV parks. As mentioned though, with the US/Canada border opening up the Canadians may be so glad to be able to leave their winter that they spill over into what aren't their usual parks.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:14 PM   #13

Good luck we booked all our 2 months at many different parks almost a year ago. Took us about 20 hours to complete.

It will be busy everywhere.
pogoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:28 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks to everyone who posted, this is the kind of info I am looking for.
Vibeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, travel