Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2022, 10:57 PM   #1

Traveling - weather - severe weather - trip planning for weather

I saw this new video for the RV blog Keep your day dreams. Its the best thing Ive seen on RV weather, gives you good resources you were probably unaware of. Well worth watching IMHO.

swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2022, 03:05 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Last Labor Day when Hurricane Ida came thru the Penns. /Maryland area we took off and ran south a day earlier then original planned.
We missed the heavy rains, and our travel day was normal.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:53 AM   #3

We have had to alter our route to head south when an early cold front and snow hit the I-40 route.You need to either sit them out (snow) or get away from them (cold). RVers need to be flexible and aware.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:05 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
More than once we have had to alter our travel plans due to the weather.
- Chased out of FL due to hurricane.
- Chased out of Boerne, TX due to severe weather the next day.
- Had to lay over a couple of days in El Paso due to high winds.
- Chased out of Abilene, TX due to severe weather.
- Had to lay over two days in Amarillo, TX due to high winds.
- Chased out of NC coast due to hurricane.
- Chased our of Mobile, AL due to tropical storm.

We were told by an old time RVer, that as full time RVers, that we would find that our plans were firmly set in Jell-O.

Now that we are getting up in the years, we find we arrange our travel to nest with medical issue.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:33 AM   #5

If there wasn't a hurricane or a tornado on the radar I wouldn't feel like we were traveling. We have been extremely lucky. we have had to adjust our plans because of hurricanes and we have traveled extra miles to avoid tornadoes. Fingers crossed for a quiet and short hurricane season.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by swduns View Post
I saw this new video for the RV blog Keep your day dreams. Its the best thing Ive seen on RV weather, gives you good resources you were probably unaware of. Well worth watching IMHO.

OMG, I just watched the first part of the video, we were there last spring. A lovely campground with absolutely horrible access!

We were discussing what would happen if bad weather hit the area.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:05 AM   #7

We’ll never camp on the Outer Banks in summer again.
First problem is that three kinds of biting insects are able to get into your rv now matter how hermetically you seal it up. I think they come through the fridge vent, roof a/c, and black tank vent.

If a big storm comes you cannot run because they close down the ferries. Last year hurricane Elsa blew through while we were camping at Ocracoke NP. Ferries shut down before anybody could get off the island. Fortunately Elsa dropped to tropical storm status before it hit us. Many rvs damaged, but none capsized. We learned a valuable lesson (or two). Now we know why it’s easy to get a reservation there in summer months.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:36 PM   #8

I use https://spaghettimodels.com all the time as it has all the maps. Years ago I learned how to read the maps. I also have an app for my phone called "Windy" that gives wind speeds (gusts & sustained) as well as direction the wind is flowing. I also have a jpeg saved to my laptop that shows when you should park and not drive in wind. For casual weather, I have the NOAA app and Weatherbug app on my phone that I check daily. Tornados, tropical storms, blizzards, ice storms, hail, micro bursts are a part of camping.
LMHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:47 PM   #9

Ive used an app called Drive Weather to plan the best time to leave to stay ahead of weather. You put in your current location, final destination, and any way points, including how long you might be stopping, and it shows weather and wind along your entire route over the entire time. You can play with changing leaving time, and as you do you can see how the weather will change.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/drive-...r/id1424517685
Souljourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 06:08 AM   #10

We have enough beach visitors at home to search them out in the summer. We stay put and enjoy the pool and try to stay out of the crazy.

The campground in the video is on the west side of the sound, I don't know why they referenced Kitty Hawk, it is near Coinjock is near Elizabeth City.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:22 PM   #11

You can't do anything about the weather. I used to sweat about crossing the country during tornado season. Crossed a number of times now with no issues. Been lucky I guess.

If faced with threatening weather I make a plan to deal with it. If in a CG there is little more that can be done other than pack away anything movable. If on the road a good weather radar site is a useful tool. Storms usually travel in an easterly or north easterly direction. If a cell is coming up behind you or you are headed straight for it, deviate from your route, preferably by heading south or going north to let the worst go by.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:22 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
This past week we traveled from Calif to Montana , crazy high windys in NV,and rain snow in Idaho and in Montana it snowed once while we were their ......but the trip was worth it .
Fattner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel