Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2016, 08:44 AM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
We were just at the Grand Canyon at Trailer Village with our dog. It's fine and you can take them on the trails.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2016, 08:51 AM   #30

if you are a 'self contained' coach, and are willing to be very flexible, and are the type to be able to overnight at big box parking lots, you should be able to have a fine time. Even if the campgrounds or rv parks can't accomodate you overnight, you can dump and fill your water tank while there. I've often also found that being very nice and inquisitive at check-ins can provide opportunities - most employees are just trained to 'go by the book' for reservations, but providing them options for you to stay, such as waiting on a cancellation, or giving them options to put you in a much small site might work. We've found that most national and state parks overestimate the 'size' of the site that you might can fit in - so I normally use a smaller 29' size when I make reservations, or a check-in, and it provides a lot more site openings that otherwise would not be available within their computer software.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:23 AM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Once you become accustomed to your coach and traveling - not being able to enjoy it - is a tough one. After 4 months of being down with physical problems, we are heading out for 3 months. YEAH - so go, enjoy, repeat!!

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
We were just at the Grand Canyon at Trailer Village with our dog. It's fine and you can take them on the trails.
You can't take a dog on all the trails.

Here's a video that is very informative as to where you can take your dog.

https://www.nps.gov/media/video/view...276F3633EFDC6A

Every national park is different so it's really best to check the rules beforehand for the best experience.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:49 PM   #33

I would also keep calling booked campgrounds and see if there is a cancellation. Also if you look online for reservations it can easily say there is nothing available based on your parameters

But If you call and are flexible and tell them you may be flexible on 30 versus 50 amp. Or you don't need septic. Or you may be willing to switch sites within the campground so you can stay longer....then they may be able to find room for you. I found asking and talking to a person versus a computer is much easier.

2002 F250 Diesel
irene67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:27 AM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
Spot on irene67

Old 07-05-2016, 01:14 PM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You can't take a dog on all the trails.

Here's a video that is very informative as to where you can take your dog.

https://www.nps.gov/media/video/view...276F3633EFDC6A

Every national park is different so it's really best to check the rules beforehand for the best experience.

I stand corrected However, everywhere we went during our week there in June - people had their dogs with them.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:50 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't know where to start, so much great info... Thanks to you all.. First I think living in Florida and right now the heat is just soooo hot, I find being outdoors a tad hard for more than 15 mins... So we kind of looked at Arzonia and Utah temps and yikes... Not sure if I should be going to those states leaving here in Florida in August(last week or so) driving thru Texas in lots of heat and then we have read posts from other people (trip advisor) last year at Grand Canyon and Lake Powell the high temps... Now not sure if out west high 90's are the same as Florida high 90's but we think maybe the best would be leaving Florida in late April... And play in Arzonia and Utah in May and June..
Anyone travel in those months across US? Without tornado's flash floods etc?
Well th temps seems to be perfect out west to visit, hike, and enjoy and we are totally excited.. Trying to find a place halfway to stay more than one night to give us a rest that is nice, maybe San Antonio? any insight is appreciated.
And all you guys are right, the Internet said parks were all full but I called and spoke directly and there is room... A lot of them want the total length of your rig plus tow vehicle and that is how they place you. They can't give you a site number (which is the way hubby likes it, so he can look up pictures, etc) but they will tell you that you are in the park somewhere. At this point we have decided on a destination of Lake Powell (Wahweap RV resort) and Rubys Inn (Bryc Canyon)
From what I gathered from the nice lady on the phone at Bryce, we can drive to Zion and the scenic byways BUT our dogs won't be allowed into this park... Now our pups aren't those type of dogs that love hiking a lot, they are more(stroller) dogs, or lap pups... So long hikes or walks aren't what we are looking for...
We want to do hikes along BUT want to make sure pups are ok in Rv if it is extremely hot out..
We have some good friends Liferebooted.com that we talk with often and they have given up the stick and brick life to "reboot" and this is their 3rd year... They just did Bryce and Zion and they said a lot of parks they stick the "big" rigs (anything over 35 in the newer sections of parks with no trees and even with the shades down, his front huge windshield sucked in a lot of heat which brought his rig inside temps to 85-90 degrees... Now this is with living in their rig... I am not comfortable leaving my pups if the temps get that high... Geez what the heck do you do to cool off your rig? And they have a new rig...so this is why we are concerned bringing our pups with us....
we travel about 5 months to 6 months out of the year and are accustomed to our rig and love it to pieces...we also prefer to know
what campground, have a route and know all the knows that you guys are advising us to do.... I would love to. "Wing" it but it just isn't us... I suppose that 2- 2.5 months might not be enough time to see what my orginal list had, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Sedona Lake Powell and all that each has to offer...for I know we want to spend at least 10-12 days at Wahweap Rv resort on lake Powell and maybe 5 days at Bryce.. And we still don't know how long it's gonna take us to get across!!!! If we make reservations, and we are driving across and find a great a spot and we want to stay longer than a night.. That would throw us off the somewhat arrival time out west...wow... I guess after the first out west trip we will figure it all out....well after switching trip to spring, now I need to research weather for travel across those states that tend to be harsh in the spring!
wetseal40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:58 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ps BIG BEN.. We are good SAMs member but seriously did not know you can save .03-06 cents per gallon... Is that any fueling up stations?
Thanks
wetseal40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:56 AM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
You might want to put down in a signature or at least on your profile page what rig you have, motorhome, travel trailer, 5th wheel, etc. Helps somewhat with replys.

Anyway, I just left Ruby's at Bryce Canyon last week ... and yes, it does get hot, but not that bad at all. Bryce is pretty high up (7,000 ft) and that keeps it quite a bit cooler. Zion is another matter .... anyway ... I would think you have air conditioning in your rig, no matter what you have, unless it is a pop up (and I've seen several of those with a/c). So, don't worry about the dogs - keep the ac on and if something happens and the circuit breaker trips, you won't be gone that long for it to get extremely hot. And Bryce is one you cannot take the dogs. Ruby's has lots of bike trails and ATV trails that you can walk the dogs, however.

Another suggestion .... why not stop along the way and smell the roses ... you will be passing by lots of great places (yes, like San Antonio) or go more north and then west ... stopping in New Mexico, Colorado, etc. Just don't get hung up on getting there fast ... take your time, enjoy the trip.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #39

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
Utah Trips

We will be leaving So Cal in July heading to Utah. We have 2 nites outside Grand Canyon north rim then 3 nites near Capitol Reef then 2 nites outside of Zion. We will do our day tours into the Parks in our jeep. We will prob leave the pups in the coach about 5 to 6 hours max at a time. First day will be the longest drive of about 360 miles to North Rim area. We made our reservations 6 mos ago.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:34 PM   #40

Wetseal40: You said you're not into hiking. I'd recommend that you not spend 5 days at Bryce. It's a hiking park.

Also, 12 days at Lake Powell? You might want to get a reservation for 3-4 days and add additional days if you like it and can find enough to do.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:23 AM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
Discount on Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetseal40 View Post
Ps BIG BEN.. We are good SAMs member but seriously did not know you can save .03-06 cents per gallon... Is that any fueling up stations?
Thanks
When you stop at a Flying J or Pilot, when it asks for you loyalty card, simply swipe your Good Sam membership card. It isn't a big deal, on a 7000 mile trip it saves about $25-$30. The big deal for us with our gasser and toad is the RV lane. Wide turn areas!