Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2020, 08:05 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Trip Advice - Millersburg, OH

Morning all, my wife and I will be traveling from Birmingham to the millersburg,OH are the week of Sep 13th. We will be staying at the Berlin RV park and would like to know if anyone has been in that area and what would be some interesting places to see in the area.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Joe
JoeLui is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2020, 08:37 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Joe! Hope the trip goes well. Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:11 PM   #3

You will be in the middle of the Amish country. Lot's to see in that area.

BTW, Berlin RV park is a really nice place. Not a lot of amenities and not overly large. Most are pull through. Spots are not really wide though. We were there a few years ago and they had plans to enlarge the park. I don't know if it has been done.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:48 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the info. How far away is Lake Erie from there. Are there many things you can do up there?
Old 09-03-2020, 07:13 AM   #5

You will be a fair distance from Lake Erie and any attractions like Cedar Point. Most of the attractions along Lake Erie tend to close around Labor Day. That’s pretty much the end of summer for much of the Great Lakes.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLui View Post
Morning all, my wife and I will be traveling from Birmingham to the millersburg,OH are the week of Sep 13th. We will be staying at the Berlin RV park and would like to know if anyone has been in that area and what would be some interesting places to see in the area.

Joe
Hello Joe, Wife and I just visited the area a couple weeks ago. Lots to see in the area, don't miss the pretzel nook in Berlin best pretzels we have ever had.We did drive from Berlin to Huron Ohio right on lake Erie about 80 miles a nice drive. We stayed at Scenic Hills RV park in the lower level and would stay there again. We rode a very nice bike trail in Millersburg, but for us what we enjoyed most was driving the countryside and admiring the scenery. If shopping is your thing they have lots of little stores to visit. Safe travels and enjoy the trip.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:13 AM   #7

Trip Advice - Millersburg, OH

If I remember correctly, the last hammered copper pot factory in the US is there. They give tours. Very interesting to me, but pots are pricey.

If you are an FMCA member you can stay in their campground for two nights a month, full 50amp hook ups, no charge. Reserve and register on line at FMCA.com. It is located on the east-southeast side of Cincinnati.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:55 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Most places are closed on Sunday.
Be very careful driving around bends and hill crests as the Amish use the same roads. Fresh road apples are a good sign.
Wooster OH has a Rubbermaid outlet downtown that will fulfill your every organizational need, and some you didn't know you needed. There is also an unique restaurant there: https://oldejaol.com/ good steaks and salads.
Wendel August Forge is the place I think mrboyer is referring to.
Shakin Bacon ( https://amishcountrytheater.com/) is unique to the area.
Here's a good source for the area: https://www.visitamishcountry.com/
Amish Door and Der Dutchman are two larger restaurants that are open, some of the smaller ones unfortunately have closed.
If you're heading towards Lake Erie (90 minute drive), Vermillion is a place I'd head to. https://www.mainstreetvermilion.org/ohiosmainstreets
Old 09-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLui View Post

Joe
We go up there every year. We used to live in Cardington which was 60 miles or so from there. Now full timers we went there 2 weeks ago. Some places to go are:
1) Breakfast is Boyd & Wurthman restaurant in Berlin nice food/ good breakfast food
2) Ashery is a bulk food store numerous spices noodles, candies
3) There is a really nice bakery, starts with a "H" big thing there is the goats on the roof. Nice huge cinnamon rolls, fresh pies, cookies etc.. It is on the way into Berlin on ST RT 39, before you get to Berlin there is a sign turn right about 1 mile down the road on the left. Come out of there and go left down to the 2nd cheese factory place.
4) Heinnes Cheese factory with 75 or more types of cheese.
5)There is another cheese factory right past the bakery, can't remember the name because we do not go to it.
6) Lyman's Amish style hardware place 2 stores one in Mt. Hope
7) numerous furniture stores with Amish made items
8) numerous quilt shops but check the labels before you buy as some are made in China the cheap ones are. An Amish made hand made quilt will set you back several hundred if not a $1000 or allot more
9) Christmas store in Berlin sometimes you can get great deals there
10) Leather shops around the area. Hand made belts, hats and such
11) Amish Door Restaurant in the area, good food but not sure of times it is opened. It is off of Rt 250 not the one in Berlin.
12) Winesburg has several small stores that sell different items like flags, flag poles for garden flags and such
13) August Wendall Forge very nice you can get Christmas ornaments at a good price that are hand forged there.
14) Sol's place in Berlin it is a tourist trap store, go in and look around at things
15) Walnut Creek bulk food store and grocery sometimes you can get meat at really good prices like bulk bacon 15lb box for around $50.00. They have a good bakery in the store. If you go upstairs there is a nice restaurant we always eat lunch there.
16) Little way down the road is Sugar Creek. It is not what it used to be but it is okay, use to have a railroad line where you could ride the train but went out of business. We have not been to Sugar Creek in about 2 years

HINT WATCH OUT FOR THE AMISH BUGGIES and WALKERS & BIKE RIDERS

Sorry only had a little information on the area for you!!!
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:10 PM   #10

If you are into woodworking a trip to Charm Hardware in Charm, OH is a must. Large selection of exotic and domestic woods and any hand or power tool imaginable. Just South of Berlin

Another cool place is Hartville Hardware in Hartville, OH. It is about 45 min. north and east of Berlin. Huge place with anything to do with hardware.

Be aware that many businesses close at 5:00 pm but I think that may be gradually changing.

We usually go over one or two times a year. Stay at Evergreen RV Resort or Scenic Hills.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:19 PM   #11

Sugarcreek is the Little Switzerland of Ohio. You’ll be close.
You’re about 2 hours south of Cleveland if you want to visit the Rock Hall. About 45-1 hour south of the Football Hall of Fame.
Wendell August Forge (is in Berlin). I think that’s what was referenced above about copper hammering. This is not the original which was out in PA but that one burned down.
You’re not far from the Cuyahoga Valley maybe check if the train is running (steam train).
Old 09-14-2020, 05:02 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you all so very much for your responses!!! They are greatly appreciated!!!

Happy travels to everyone!! Stay safe aNd God Bless!!

Joe

Tags
advice