Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2019, 11:19 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Trip Info: Hurricane UT to North Rim Grand Canyon

Hi everyone, I am just looking for a little advice. We will be in Hurricane, UT in May, and we have thought about going to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Does anyone have any experience traveling there from Hurricane ? Is there a closer park to the North Rim, that is good to get to with our 40' VTDP? Appreciate any wisdom on this. Thanks
Guss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2019, 03:26 PM   #2

Being so close I definitely advise you to visit the North Rim! You would fit in DeMotte national forest campground at the North Rim gate. Also, just south of Demotte is a excellent flat gravel road leading back to some very nice boondocking spots - our favorite place to stay with our 40' motorhome. You only have to drive a 1/2 mi or so and begin seeing spots. In the park are also a few sites you could fit but unless it's been updated, don't try to use the dump station. It was very tight. Have empty tanks before coming in.

There are also RV parks at Jacob Lake (no lake there) and in nearby Kanab, UT.

Definitely go!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:34 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
The North Rim may not be open until after May 15, check ahead.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:24 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Being so close I definitely advise you to visit the North Rim! You would fit in DeMotte national forest campground at the North Rim gate. Also, just south of Demotte is a excellent flat gravel road leading back to some very nice boondocking spots - our favorite place to stay with our 40' motorhome. You only have to drive a 1/2 mi or so and begin seeing spots. In the park are also a few sites you could fit but unless it's been updated, don't try to use the dump station. It was very tight. Have empty tanks before coming in.

There are also RV parks at Jacob Lake (no lake there) and in nearby Kanab, UT.

Definitely go!!

As mentioned above I stayed at DeMotte NF CG. It was beautiful. Have a 41ft Phaeton. Not all sites good for big rig. I had one of the pull throughs (site A13). I came from Zion River Resort via Hurricane. CG about 18 mi north on North Rim Lodge/Visitor Center. Click image for larger version

Name:	DeMotte Sunset-10.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	236400
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:42 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks alot for the info, does the DeMotte CG let you reserve a larger site for a long MH ?
Guss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:56 AM   #6

We went may 15th with our 45’ rig in 2016 and had no problem finding a site outside the park. Trip there from Zion area was easy. Well worth the trip. We prefer the north side for its smaller crowds. The south has been over run with bus tour groups. It will still be colder at that time of year.

Enjoy your travels
Old 03-01-2019, 08:12 AM   #7

Drove that route to Jacobs Lake in our 40’. Full Hookups at Kaibab Camper Village.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:12 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guss1 View Post
Thanks alot for the info, does the DeMotte CG let you reserve a larger site for a long MH ?

Yes, you can make reservations online and select the specific site. The reservation system has info on site length. The one I had (A13) would handle 45 ft + Towed.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:46 AM   #9

North rim closed. We tried to get reservations but all booked up for June and July.
tucsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
As mentioned above I stayed at DeMotte NF CG. It was beautiful. Have a 41ft Phaeton. Not all sites good for big rig. I had one of the pull throughs (site A13). I came from Zion River Resort via Hurricane. CG about 18 mi north on North Rim Lodge/Visitor Center. Attachment 236400
At first I thought you meant from Hurricane to North Rim is 18 mi. but now you're probably meaning DeMotte to Visitor Center.

Anyway, to get there from Hurricane the easiest & fastest is to take 59 which becomes 389 in Arizona to 89/67 to North Rim. It's 125 miles. It's a beautiful and easy drive. You don't want to drive through Zion and use the tunnels!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane