Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2017, 02:48 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnariley53 View Post
We did an out west trip this summer. We spent 2 nights at nearly every stop and found this to be too hectic. Every other day we were breaking camp, driving and set up again!
Yep I think the OP will need more time at each stop to see the area.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Hodas View Post

My husband and I are planning a trip to

badlands,

mt Rushmore,

Glacier Natl park,

Yellowstone natl park,

Arches Natl pk,

Grand Canyon,

Carlsbad caverns

and all the great places along the way.

We will leave Erie Pennsylvania in August and end our trip in late

October in Florida

I would appreciate any help advice for this trip .

Places to see,

go to routes to travel

timeframe in each place

we will be towing a 38' fifth wheel.

1 Thank you in advance for any information you can give me.
Diane,
Appears that this might be your first Big Trip? Also sounds like you have given it a little thought, which is great, but this is a really Big Country, so you will need to possibly try to stretch the trip – Add More Time – or see a little less of what you will be driving by.

Are you Hikers? Bikers? or just Driverbyers? Active – meaning just want to try to do it all – or is this a vacation – getting up when you want to – and getting there when you feel like it? Does the DH enjoy setting up Camp – or does he intend on setting up then settling in for a week or so? We need to know more to tell you more of what you are looking for.

Do you plan on driving 200 – 300 miles per day- or 500-600? This Will make a big difference in the number of places you will see in the time you have set aside. You’ve told us you plan on something less than 90 days (August – September – October) your trip is right around 6,000 miles if you just go to the places you named. (8) Lets just figure 5 days at each stop that’s about half your time meaning you will need to drive the other half – equals 6,000/45=133miles/day sounds easy ……but it’s not a real set of numbers –
Map - https://binged.it/2l5WYdA

Let’s think about it this way Badlands – Wall Drug one day – Custer - Mt Rushmore – Jewel Cave – Wind Cave - Needles Highway – Sylvan Lake – Crazy Horse – Custer State Park – that just gets you into the standard touristy stuff, so in my opinion you need to look at each section of the trip and give us a lot more info so we can lead or push you in the right direction.

When I look at your trip it sounds Great BUT you left out way more than you are seeing. You did not even look to drive through one of my Favorites, Colorado; - I’ve probably got 800 days in Colorado and still only seen a small portion.

So first – what is the Mission?
Will you be back to see what you missed?
What type of Tourist are You?

Give us a little more info and I think you might get more helpful info.

JMHO,

..........:facepalm :
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:10 PM   #17

#1 piece of advice with your choice locations is MAKE RESERVATIONS for the high tourist areas. We Camp Host in Rapid City (near Rushmore) and our weekends are already 68% booked. I would advise you avoid early August here unless you plan to attend the Sturgis motorcycle rally. In that three week period our small community of 60k is inundated with over 250k motorcyclists. It's fun but if your not expecting it when you get here, it can be pretty daunting. As others have said Mt Rushmore is a must see but will only take a few hours, there are so many other amazing sites and attractions here. Our typical guests stay for 5-7 days and wish they had more time.

Additionally, alot of the Yellowstone campgrounds book a year out too; so again reservations for those areas are highly advised.

Sounds like a fun route, a little planning will alleviate some stress. Have a great trip!!!
MGrawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #18

Keep in mind that there are many campsites in the national parks that don't even accept reservations so don't go by 'campgrounds being booked a year in advance'. Every day folks move on and there will be a new spot open. That's how we traveled.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:57 PM   #19

My wife and I have done most of that, We normally go out for 6-8 weeks at a time. I wrote trip reports and posted here.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/summe...ys-260000.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/a-lon...ip-240146.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/6-wee...do-215106.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/south...ng-205496.html
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post

Just click and follow the Pictures - What a Great way to Share Your Adventures!

Some people go camping - But these are of "The Great RV Adventures"

Great group of posts,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Diane, Regarding reservations I agree with MGrawe about making reservations especially for "some" campgrounds in National Parks and those at tourist locations. The ones that have full hook ups (concession campgrounds) are generally booked well in advance. I booked Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone close to a year in advance to get what I wanted. During my six - month long summer trips (mid-July to Mid-August) I made reservations every year and I found those campgrounds in the high tourist areas were full however the campgrounds off it the interstate on the way had openings. It is all about the comfort level for me I don't want to take time to book along the way and possibly have to change my plans. I keep the distances between stops short enough that if something came up, and it did once, I can cancel the next reservation and then travel for a full day to catch up. The reservations also help to keep me on track so I can enjoy the entire trip and keep moving as I usually have a deadline to get home for work or school. Depending on when you are leaving in August could help you have more flexibility because as soon as school starts other than weekends there should be openings in campgrounds. So the early part of your trip you could make reservations and in the later part of your trip be more flexible. While your question might be your first post you may have more experience in RVing than most of us so please disregard if it this isn't what you are looking for.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree, during the summer season, reservations are a necessity.

Since you plan to go to the Grand Canyon, I would suggest these two places (since they are only a few hours away):

Monument Valley. I stayed at Goulding's Lodge Campground and enjoyed it.

Durango, Colorado. Ride the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. Spectacular views of the Animas River 300 feet below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Durango0001.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	152072  
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote