Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2015, 01:13 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Trip Planning

I have had a 5th wheel in the past, but looking at moving into a Class A, so questions are coming to mind...

I have been reading that ~250 miles is a comfortable day's drive for most in a Class A. Thoughts?

Just out of curiosity, what kind of miles are others putting down in 5vers each day when the goal is to get somewhere?
MeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 04:25 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My MH is as comfortable on the highway as any vehicle I own. Thinking back, it is more comfortable and easier to drive than my 3/4 ton pickup pulling a 26 ft 5er. I could drive 75 or 80 if I wanted or needed to but I don't. I could drive for 8 to 10 hours if necessary so a 600 mile day is not out of the question. But, since I am no longer tied to a schedule, 250-300 miles per day is what I usually plan on when it comes time to move. Some times I don't even go that far if there is something of interest closer.
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:43 AM   #3

It's all about no need to hurry

We get up around day break, put the coffee on, enjoy the beautiful sunrise. Have breakfast, do the mourning S,S,S, then put camp away and get on the road again. After 5 or 6 hours (about 250 miles) of on the road we find our next parking spot, ussually a nice RV park that I found through the Good Sam trip plannner online the night before. Most times I will call them to make a reservation from 2 hours out, that way if they are full or not open we have time to do a plan 'B'. This schedule puts us at a park in the daylight with time to set up, have dinner, then go sight seeing before dark. Happy Trails, and take the time to enjoy your new RV.

Just Another Old Doggy, Don
OldDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:46 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Sometimes it depends on what kind of driving you are doing. Somedays it takes 7 hr to get the same distance as a interstates's 4 hr drive. I like to be off the highway at 3:00 if possible. Last January I needed to be at in for service 660 miles away and two days to be there. Did 425 the first day and then finished with time to spare the second day. Wasn't bad driving and I liked being "over the hump" on the first day and well within my goal for an easy day's drive the second day. All in what the situation calls for and what you prefer doing. Generally 250 to 300 miles is a comfortable drive - can do more or less depending on the situation and how you feel. I've found that not making reservations all the time is the key. Have save travels. hope this helps mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:06 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The wife and I are still working full-time so for us many times we have to push to get to a destination, especially when we were racing, although that ship has now sailed.

Luckily our coach is very easy and a pleasure to drive so 500-600 miles a day is doable although not preferred. I would say we generally shoot for around 300 or so for an average day.

A lot depends on what kind of trip we are taking. If we are heading to a destination to spend a week then we may push a bit more getting there but if we are doing a hop, skip and jump trip staying in multiple locations we will generally do 250-300 miles per day. We get up early and watch the world come to life but we don't break camp extremely early. Many times rolling out of camp at the crack of 9:00 or even a tad later.

We stop at scenic areas, stop and fix a sandwich for lunch at a nice spot and then arrive at our next stop mid to late afternoon.

Again, much of this depends on what kind of trip we are taking and whether it is a destinations trip or a hop, skip and jump trip.

I have noticed that our trips the last couple of years have become much, much more relaxing.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:41 AM   #6

Thx for posting up guys ... we too are planning around 300 per day as we begin our first annual tour on Apr 6. When we picked up the Bus last fall from central WI, we pushed pretty hard to get back to Phoenix due to time constraints ... but have sworn off rushing any where ever again ... will set cruise at 60-65 and let er roll .. we'll get there when we get there ......
Appreciate everyone's input as it confirms our thoughts about this topic

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:48 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I am still working full-time and don't have much control over where I am starting, going, or how much time I have to spend getting there. Now that I read that, that doesn't sound much like a vacation, but I digress. Such is life for Active Duty...

I don't want to get into a Class A and regret it because it beats me up driving to where I need to be. I can't justify/afford a DP, so its a leaf spring based F53 chassis.

The alternative is a PU/5ver again. It was OK, but not great for long hauls but I was admittedly near the top of what my truck could handle.
MeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:57 AM   #8

As a recently retired traveler, I look at driving as a 9-5 job. Eight hours a day = 400 miles. Plan my stops ahead of time but refuse to drive in the dark. Also refuse to drive three days in a row.

Kind of a structured guy!!!
Old 03-27-2015, 08:22 AM   #9

When we're on the road getting to where we want to be & IF we're on an interstate, we average about 47 mph which includes fuel stops, rest stops & lunch. We try to stop somewhere about every 2-3 hours to stretch and walk the dogs. Lunch is usually at a rest stop & Gary fixes sandwiches while I walk the dogs. If it's nice, we eat at a picnic table, if not in the coach. That 47 mph average is from pulling out of a campground to parking at the next.
Usually 6 hours will get us about 300 miles down the road and when planning a long trip, I try to keep our day to about 300 miles. Sometimes, though, our drive is closer to 400...those are long days.

I will say that those numbers are based on what we did with our short Class A gasser that had to be wrestled to keep on the road. By 6 hours into the fight, DH was ready to throw in the towel and have a medicinal adult beverage. Or 2. We have a DP now, and expect to keep pretty much the same schedule, just not be worn out when we stop for the night.

We don't get up with the chickens though but let what rush hour traffic there might be clear out. So far, we've never stayed at Camp Wally or any of the other free overnight spots that others use. One reason is that we do like to stop by 4 or 5. That gives us time to walk the pups (and us), unwind a little, prepare supper & check our the route for the next leg. If we're headed west, that also keeps the sun out of our eyes & from cooking us as it shines through that big window!

We are retired so have wiggle room in our plans. I also schedule try to schedule a 2 night stop every 3rd night, especially if we've had long days.

Everyone has different ideas and needs. Some want to get to where they're going sooner rather than later so drive longer days, some have no schedule and stop when they want to, some have a set schedule that is not to be messed with and others sort of have a schedule but are flexible. Drive what is comfortable for you & those with you but more than anything.... be safe and have fun!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:19 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
We made a trip to West Lafayette Indiana from Little Rock Arkansas. Our daughter was doing an internship at Purdue. The plan was to leisurely drive up and pick her up, load her explorer on the trailer and have a nice leisurely drive home. HA HA HA . DW decided she wanted to see her daughter so I drove our MH 11 hours. Reaching and getting it up the interstates. So once we arrived we had a nice dinner and retired. Me thinking we could do the leisure thing on the way home. WRONG daughters birthday and all her friends had a party planned so we ran all the way home the next day. That being said, our Thor Tuscany DP had a very comfortable ride so it did not wear me out. I would not suggest doing that unless it is a dire emergency. Someday when I retire in a year or two I can just go 300 miles and stop HA
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:37 AM   #11

Steve,
As you may have already surmised, your question cannot be answered in any definitive terms. It is completely dependent on variables that will appear at the moment.
A big factor is how comfortable a drivers seat you have, next would be how many driver/navigator sets you can use.
After that comes the driving conditions. This is not just road conditions, but also weather and traffic.

We have an antique A. It is extremely comfortable and easy to drive. We have done 800 mile days with two drivers. We have done 1175 in two days when we had to. We have also had some wonderful 150 mile days, those I might do again.

Matt
Old 03-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #12

During the work years, we tended to do long driving days. After reading that full-timers average around 300 miles a day when they travel, we started doing this and it's a lot more relaxing. We also stop every 2 hours or so to walk the dog and ourselves. No more dawn departures or after dark arrivals

We don't usually call ahead for campground reservations unless during a holiday, at a tourist area, or to meet a specific schedule/location.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I have done 500 to 600 easily, but my seat and comfort are awesome.
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:24 PM   #14

We have done 400-500 miles a day when we really had to. Wasn't too bad for one day, but the second day was closer to 300-350. I don't enjoy two big days in a row. We try to stick to the 300 miles a day rule and try to be set up by 3 or 4 pm. We're leaving next week on a 850 mile trip that we could do in two days, but we're going to take three so we don't arrive too tired. That should get us in early enough to get set up and enjoy a good meal and hopefully a beautiful sunset.
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote