Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2018, 05:58 PM   #1

Trip planning for summer of 2020

Hi fellow members. We plan on doing a trip to Yosemite, Grand Tetons, Banff, Jasper, and Glacier, and Calgary during peak season the summer of 2020. I know reservations are hard to come by. How early do I need to start making reservations??

Thank you,

Camper Dad and Camper Jo
CamperDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #2

You'll need to look at the official reservation web site for the time period.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:02 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question

Where is the "official reservation website"?
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:19 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Now is the time to make reservations. Each place you want to stay may have their own rules and system for reservations. KOA has one reservation system for all its' CGs.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:00 AM   #5

Can't answer your question, but it sounds like a great trip.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:34 AM   #6

As others have mentioned, it's best to check with the individual sites to see what their policy is. Some will take reservations now, others are a year or less out. I would find out the maximum time window, then come up with some ball park dates and call them on the first available day. That should give you the best availability. If one day is already filled up at least you'll have a backup date and by calling you should get someone who has access to more rooms than what would be potentially shown online.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:10 PM   #7

Each place you want to go may have different time periods for making reservations. For instance, here is Yosemite's official park web site so you would go to the camping section to get your information. Many parks don't do their own reservations so you will be referred to their outside source.

The national park's websites have awesome information for each park such as things to do, camping, road information, maps, special alerts such as road closings/construction, etc. Study them thoroughly before your trip and you'll be better informed as to what to expect. Just Google the national park name and select the nps.gov site. State parks also have very nice websites.

Have fun planning!

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/camping.htm
Old 08-09-2018, 06:52 PM   #8

I was hoping there was an easier way but you all are right. Pretty much going to have to plan out the campgrounds and dates then research the reservation window and set some reminders. Ugh I wish there was an easier way. I mean I am planning 2 years before the trip!
Old 08-11-2018, 04:06 AM   #9

My suggestion: Plan it out now, even make a spreadsheet with dates, travel distances, sites to see, etc. Then set calendar reminders on your phone for the opening of each reservation window and make those calls ASAP once each window opens.

That way you have the fun of planning and the associated increased probability of getting what you want in terms of location/dates. But, you don't have to be constantly thinking about it for the next 12-18 months as reservation windows open up for your trip dates.

Best of luck!

Pete
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
My suggestion: Plan it out now, even make a spreadsheet with dates, travel distances, sites to see, etc. Then set calendar reminders on your phone for the opening of each reservation window and make those calls ASAP once each window opens.

That way you have the fun of planning and the associated increased probability of getting what you want in terms of location/dates. But, you don't have to be constantly thinking about it for the next 12-18 months as reservation windows open up for your trip dates.

Best of luck!

Pete

Thank you Pete. That’s exactly what I have done. The nightmare starts if I don’t get the dates that I want. And then it is either reschedule or go outside the park system. Cortisone levels start spiking a days before hand.

These “reservation” windows make me feel like we are all going to rush a concert ticket window once the gates are opened. Seems barbaric in today’s computer age. The Parks Canada site crashed last May on when the reservation window opened. Took me 3.5 hours to get our 2 campground sites in Nova Scotia. Told my wife when we got there to congratulate the other campers because they were just as lucky as us to win the virtual campsite lottery.

I guess that is the nature of the game though.

Happy Camping!
Old 08-12-2018, 07:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperDad View Post
Hi fellow members. We plan on doing a trip to Yosemite, Grand Tetons, Banff, Jasper, and Glacier, and Calgary during peak season the summer of 2020. I know reservations are hard to come by. How early do I need to start making reservations??

Thank you,

Camper Dad and Camper Jo
All I can say is "Don't Buy Green Bananas" - - -

2020 Really
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:32 PM   #12

… amazingly that we traveled full-time, moving constantly and didn't make reservations - even for the popular national parks. If we had to make reservations all the time we would have never traveled the way we did.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:42 PM   #13

We went on a big national park trip a couple of years ago. Lassen, Bryce, Zion, North Rim, Great Basin...

Reserve America was the site we used and were only allowed to make reservations a maximum of six months before arrival. Not one day before. My bride did a great job on handling all that...all I did was steer and set up. We stayed in all the parks, Except for Bryce.

another avenue is to look in to joining the B.P.O.E (Elks). most lodges don't take reservations but some do. There is always room for at least one more rig. I normally call from two hours out to see if the have any spaces available. As a matter of fact, i will be pulling in to a lodge on Thursday.

Not really amping, but cheaper than a hotel.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:46 AM   #14

Hi Unstrug. - Elks care Elks share! B.P.O.E. Lodge 2383 member here. That’s a good thought. The few lodges we have stayed at where dry camping so we typically look for them when just passing through and need a place overnight. Feel safer sleeping with the herd than worrying about the “wildlife” at camp Walmart. Nice to have them as a resource.

Thanks for chiming in!