Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2018, 05:49 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
reubenray, We traveled through Michigan this summer as the 48 state we have seen. Here are some ideas for your travels,.
1. The 4 Henry Ford Museums in Detroit (see web sites below) and Mototown Museum were all a don't miss.
2. Grand Rapids: The Gerald Ford Presidential Museum and Frank Lloyd Wright House (free admission,very unique design and beautiful restoration by Steel Case).
3 .Sleeping Bear Dunes: Unique 600 foot sand dunes on the West shore of Lake Michigan.
4. Mackinaw Island: Beautiful Island with only horse drawn, bike and foot travel. No motorized vehicle on the 8 miles circumference island.
5. Visit White Fish Point Ship Wreck Museum to see the Edmond Fitzgerald Ship Bell Recovered form the sunken ship memorialized in the famous song of Gordon Lightfoot.
6. Sault Ste. Marie Locks as you go into Canada and head for Niagara Falls.
Watch the Great Lake Freighters on the Saint Mary River at the RV Park

Web sites:
Detroit
Ford Piquette Ave. Plant http://www.fordpiquetteavenueplant.org/
The Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation
https://www.thehenryford.org/visit/henry-ford-museum/
Greenfield Village https://www.thehenryford.org/visit/henry-ford-museum/
Ford Rouge Factory Tour
https://www.thehenryford.org/visit/f...-factory-tour/
Motown Museum https://www.motownmuseum.org/visit/hours-admissions/
Wayne County Fair Grounds & RV Wayne County Fairgrounds - Belleville Michigan

Grand Rapids
Gerald R. Ford Museum
https://www.fordlibrarymuseum.gov/visit-museum.aspx
Meyer May House, Frank Lloyd Wright
Meyer May House
Woodchip Campground http://www.woodchipcampground.com/

Sleeping Bear Area
Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
https://www.nps.gov/slbe/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

Timberline Campground, Timberline Campground INC in Benzonia, Michigan

Mackinac Island
https://www.michigan.org/city/mackin...kinac%20Island
Tiki RV Park & Campground, http://www.tikirvpark.com/6934.html

Ship WreckMuseum
https://www.shipwreckmuseum.com/
Michigan State Park Tahquamenon Falls State Park Rivermouth
Campgrounds
Michigan Recreation Search Site Details Page

Sault Ste. Marie
Soo Locks Visitor Center
http://www.lre.usace.army.mil/Missio...isitor-Center/
Aune Osborn Campground
https://www.saultcity.com/aune-osborn-campground

Safe Travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2018, 05:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Last June we camp hosted in NY and then visited family near Flint Mich. Sampson SP in the finger lakes has a free military museum on site and local wine farms. Evangola SP is on lake Erie about 50 miles S. of Niagara Falls with great sun set views. Both State Parks only have elec at the camp sites with fresh water available at the dump station and dogs must be on a leash. Taking US 20 through Cleveland and Toledo was only a 100 miles longer than going through Canada and just was not worth the border hassle/risk for us. My CCW permit put me at high risk of a border inspection and it wasn't worth shipping my gun to Mich. Tip - There is a Indian Reservation near Evangola SP where local gas stations sell diesel fuel for $.50 less per gallon due to no fed tax.
I will really have to think about this. I don't have a concealed gun permit, but I was thinking of getting one. I have only felt uncomfortable enough to get my pistol out of the bedroom one time in my 7 years of traveling. This time was not due to anyone, but the campground itself. It was in the middle of nowhere and we were the only one there. But this will be the longest trip that we have taken.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:11 AM   #17

Scenic Rt. in NY to Vermont

I live 60 miles north of Syracuse. I would suggest if you want to avoid tolls and see some beautiful areas you take Interstate 81 (exit 36 north off Rt. 90 N.Y.S. Thruway) to Watertown then Rte.3 north east to Vermont. This will take you through the Adirondack Mountains. It may be a longer route but you will be rewarded for it with the experience. Obviously there will be curves and hills and a bit slower traveling involved as there would be in any mountain range.
The Finger Lakes area is absolutely beautiful any time of the year. Take time to visit there. We go there every year in August when we go to Watkins Glen for the NASCAR weekend. In Pennsylvania, Gettysburg is a great experience even if you aren't a history buff. You may be before you leave. Plan on being there for a few days. Too much to take in in just a day or two.
Don't even think about bringing a hand gun through Canada or into NY State.
Lynn
Old 10-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
...Both State Parks only have elec at the camp sites with fresh water available at the dump station...
Personally I’d be a little leery of any “fresh” water located near a dump station.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:36 PM   #19

I estimate that I would be in the Vermont/NH/Maine area around the middle of October. Will this be too late in the season? I did some searches and I read that some campgrounds may be closed at that time of the year.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:17 AM   #20

I made my first reservation for this trip last week and I need to firm up the rest of my stops. I will be making this trip shorter in order to get back home to take a Thanksgiving trip to visit family.

The Michigan stop is reserved and I will head to Port Huron for an overnight stop before heading to the Niagara Falls area. We will stay three nights there before heading to the Newmar rally at Syracuse, New York. I will then had to Normandy Farms to see Boston and visit my brother. I will need an overnight stop between Syracuse and Boston. From Boston I will head to the Gettysburg area with an overnight stop in between. From Gettysburng I will head down I-81 with a stop just North of Charlotte with another overnight stop in between and then continue on home via Jacksonville.

While mapping this route I like to locate my favorite fuel stops (Flying J), but there are none once I leave the Niagara Falls area until I get into Maryland.

Any suggestions on possible campgrounds would be appreciated.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:00 AM   #21

Currently sitting at Ebeneezer Park Rock Hill, SC just So of CLT. Not too far off I77 and on Lake Wylie.
Traffic I77 N of CLT can be problematic if PM rush hr. Weekend or mid day better but construction can still create problems. We tried Rt 220 from Roanoke to Greensboro and I85 to Clt and liked it. 220 all 4 lane divided w a few lights mostly 55 MPH w 60 & 65 at N & S ends. EZ connections at Gboro.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:09 AM   #22

Syr to Bos only 300 mi and all interstate... assuming your route. Do you need a stop between?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Syr to Bos only 300 mi and all interstate... assuming your route. Do you need a stop between?
I usually try to max my mileage at 250 miles. The actual mileage per RVTW is 319 from campground to campground. If there is something to see or do in between Syracuse and Boston we would stay longer. I have the Schodack Island State Park penciled in for now which is about half way. I also have factored in my leaving time from Syracuse may be later due to the amount of people leaving at the same time.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Currently sitting at Ebeneezer Park Rock Hill, SC just So of CLT. Not too far off I77 and on Lake Wylie.
Traffic I77 N of CLT can be problematic if PM rush hr. Weekend or mid day better but construction can still create problems. We tried Rt 220 from Roanoke to Greensboro and I85 to Clt and liked it. 220 all 4 lane divided w a few lights mostly 55 MPH w 60 & 65 at N & S ends. EZ connections at Gboro.
I always try to leave either early or late to avoid the morning rush hour and I always get to where I am going to much earlier than the evening rush hour. I like to get to the campgrounds around 2 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:40 PM   #25

This blogger traveled full-time with a 40' MH and did wonderful trip reports along with places to stay. Go to the very top grey line of the page and you will see a 'clicky' for Campground Reviews and also one for Places Traveled. Click on the state and great reading will come up. They also traveled with a dog which might help you with dog-friendly places.

Here's their Niagara Falls report:

https://wheelingit.us/?s=niagara+falls
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
Personally I’d be a little leery of any “fresh” water located near a dump station.

Great, I love shorter lines.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
We did it for 20+ years as most folks who stay in public campgrounds do.

You don't use the water at the dumping spot. That hose is for rinsing your sewer hose if you do that. (We never found that necessary to do.) The potable water is always marked as such and it's found away from the dumping area.

To me, I'd be more leery using a full hookup site to fill fresh water. Folks put their sewer hose at it to rinse it out and they don't always have the other end in the sewer but let it drain on the ground where you may lay your fresh water hose.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:54 PM   #28

Gettysburg??

One spot that I have not decided on yet is Gettysburg. I have read several posts about how bad the roads are getting there. I will be coming down I-81. I don't mind driving back roads, but I don't want to drive a bad back road for miles and miles or hours long.

Any updates on road conditions and campgrounds will be appreciated. It will need to be big rig friendly.