Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-02-2021, 09:00 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 1,925
Tucson Saguaro NP Neighborhoods

We have an opportunity to stay in our coach for 2 months this winter, at a private residence in the Avra Foothill Estates area, near Saguaro NP. It is an advertised site with full hookups and monthly rates. So, not a friend of a cousins brother-in-laws ex-wifeís aunt, who is letting us stay for free. I havenít been to Tucson for 30 years and that was to play golf at Star Pass and Ventana Canyon.

Without providing a specific address, I am looking to get some general feedback from people familiar with that neighborhood. From satellite and street view images, it appears to be rural residential, and we are familiar with the diversity of such areas.

Thanks in advance.
Kid Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2021, 12:33 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 16,031
I'm not sure what you want to know about the neighborhood but I just did a quick Google and here are the homes that have been sold in the past. I would think that since the lot sizes are big you'd enjoy it.:

https://www.bexrealty.com/Arizona/Tu...hills-Estates/
__________________
Full-timed for 16 Years . . .
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:11 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 1,925
Yes, weíve done some research as well. We live on acreage and in the immediate vicinity there are $1.5M homes and single wides that are falling apart. Rural properties on acreage can be incredibly elegant or rather unsightly.

To be a bit more specific, Iíd like to be sure we wonít be staying in the meth capital of Arizona.
Kid Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:59 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Charles L's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Chesapeake, VA.
Posts: 779
Get the address so you can google it and see what you are being offered.
__________________
USN 1980-2004
2017 Sunseeker GTS 2800
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 03:11 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles L View Post
Get the address so you can google it and see what you are being offered.
Weíve done that. Looked at satellite images and street view images. Iíve corresponded with the property owners, seen photos of the site and even seen photos of the home via a real estate site.

Weíre pretty comfortable with our decision to stay there. Just looking for some feed back from someone familiar with the area.
Kid Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 03:30 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jack Klompus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 611
I know the area. However, this is one of those topics that is quite subjective.

Would I stay there for two months in the winter if it were very cheap and I were getting a great deal? Probably.

Is that a "nice" location? No. It is 180 degrees from Starr Pass or Ventana. It is predominantly modular housing on SR lots with limited CCR. It is probably relatively quiet, however.

And for comparisons sake, thousands stay in Quartzsite each year - and that is hardly "nice" by most standards. What's a great fit for some is a no go for someone else.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions, but if you have detailed photos, I think you can make a decision.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 03:48 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Klompus View Post
I know the area. However, this is one of those topics that is quite subjective.

Would I stay there for two months in the winter if it were very cheap and I were getting a great deal? Probably.

Is that a "nice" location? No. It is 180 degrees from Starr Pass or Ventana. It is predominantly modular housing on SR lots with limited CCR. It is probably relatively quiet, however.

And for comparisons sake, thousands stay in Quartzsite each year - and that is hardly "nice" by most standards. What's a great fit for some is a no go for someone else.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions, but if you have detailed photos, I think you can make a decision.
Thank you. The home is not modular, but, as you mention, other homes in the area surely are.

Quartzite is on our agenda for a week in January. Yes, itís dusty dry camping. Our group puts up a big tent and has great meals and activities.

I appreciate your comments.
Kid Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 04:29 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
oldmattb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 539
We live north of there, just outside the National Park. Overall the area here is mixed, but not bad. I regularly walk and ATV on the dirt roads in the neighborhood. I have had several problems with dogs, but never with people. Lived here for almost a decade. I made an offer on a house in that neighborhood.

Do remember that people move to the desert for many reasons. You may have potheads, nudists, preppers, polyamorous, hippies, militants, and loners out here. (I have a militant feminist Marxist Iroquois lesbian as a friend and neighbor.) Be calm and respect other people.

Open carry is common here. If the sight of a sidearm makes you uncomfortable, you might choose to not venture out much.
__________________
Matt B
1998 Monaco Windsor
oldmattb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:14 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmattb View Post
We live north of there, just outside the National Park. Overall the area here is mixed, but not bad. I regularly walk and ATV on the dirt roads in the neighborhood. I have had several problems with dogs, but never with people. Lived here for almost a decade. I made an offer on a house in that neighborhood.

Do remember that people move to the desert for many reasons. You may have potheads, nudists, preppers, polyamorous, hippies, militants, and loners out here. (I have a militant feminist Marxist Iroquois lesbian as a friend and neighbor.) Be calm and respect other people.

Open carry is common here. If the sight of a sidearm makes you uncomfortable, you might choose to not venture out much.
We live in rural Oregon and worked in Hollywood for more than 30 years. There isnít much we havenít seen. I may have even worked with your neighbor at one point in my career. Or her identical twin.

Thank you.
Kid Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:12 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
oldmattb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
We live in rural Oregon and worked in Hollywood for more than 30 years. There isnít much we havenít seen. I may have even worked with your neighbor at one point in my career. Or her identical twin.

Thank you.
Bless you!

Are you familiar with Tucson? I could tell you a lot over a cup of coffee.
__________________
Matt B
1998 Monaco Windsor
oldmattb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:53 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Jack Klompus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Thank you. The home is not modular, but, as you mention, other homes in the area surely are.

Quartzite is on our agenda for a week in January. Yes, itís dusty dry camping. Our group puts up a big tent and has great meals and activities.

I appreciate your comments.
That's helpful. I think you will enjoy the area you have picked, and will be safe.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:16 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmattb View Post
Bless you!

Are you familiar with Tucson? I could tell you a lot over a cup of coffee.
Not at all. I worked on a film in Douglas, Bisbee and a ranch in Patagonia 30 years ago. We only managed to get up to Tucson a couple of times to play golf. Very familiar with the Phoenix metro area as we have family there.
Kid Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saguaro Truck Trailers vtech01 Truck Camper Discussion 1 01-06-2022 03:15 PM
Overnight Stealth Boondocking In Nice Residential Neighborhoods? Paul Foster MH-General Discussions & Problems 125 11-08-2019 02:37 PM
Issue with Jacks on Saguaro with Reico Jacks vtech01 Truck Camper Discussion 3 07-31-2017 08:11 AM
Texas Neighborhoods Homes with RV pads or garages BettyboopRB iRV2.com General Discussion 10 07-31-2014 10:38 AM
New Horizons at SKP Saguaro in Benson Wandrin New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG 0 02-20-2010 07:47 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.