Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2019, 11:14 AM   #1

Question Tucson to Memphis in March

Hi, all.

We're scheduled to leave Tucson on March 11 and need to be in Memphis by the 21st. Looking for suggestions for worthwhile stops or sights to see along the way as well as good spots for overnights. We've considered swinging down to see The Alamo and a stop at Hot Springs NP if it's open. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.
bubbiebecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Bubbiebecker,

Sounds like a fun trip!
I can’t respond with useful information until you reach Arkansas. I’ve lived here my entire life and can say that it’s a very beautiful state. Especially the northwest half which has gorgeous lakes.
Lake Ouachita is not far to the north of Hot Springs. Hot Springs NP is actually comprised of the entire ‘old section’ of the city. It has bath/massage houses fed by the natural hot water springs which gives the city its name. Lake Ouachita state park could be a good spot to camp.
One must do: You guys have to eat at McClards bbq restaurant. It is widely known for its tamale spreads as well as its bbq. Word of warning.... you may have to fight for a seat!
Greer’s Ferry lake is just a pretty and in my opinion even more pristine than Ouachita. However, it’s about an hour north of I40. Take hwy 65 at Conway up to near Clinton. I have my boat slipped at Choctaw park which is the western side of the lake. That time of year it should have several ‘walk up’ spots available. This is where I camp when in state.
Be safe and have a great trip!

ArkansasRomr
ArkansasRomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:08 PM   #3

Gail and Steve,

We just completed a similar route from Southern CA to Memphis.

We stopped in Tucson (visiting relatives) and stayed at the Lazydays KOA (huge and full). The Biosphere II is a really neat thing to see. I'm sure you have seen it if that's your home-base.

Next stop, Las Cruces, NM at the Hacienda RV Park (one of our favorites). The Double Eagle restaurant in the 'Old Town' not far away is excellent! It's in a 150 yr. old Adobe home on the Square. If you like Banana's Foster, I highly recommend it!

We don't care to drive through Texas if we don't have to (long and boring scenery). If you go to San Antonio, the Alamo is a must see and the Riverwalk shopping area.

This trip, we drove up the I-25 to Albuquerque staying at the American RV park. They have a new section just for large RV's with toads.

Next stop, Tucumcari, NM, at the KOA (muddy when wet and it was wet, LOL). They have a good Dinosaur museum on the main road in Tucumcari.

Next stop, Amarillo, TX. We always stay at the Big Texan RV Ranch as it's close to the Big Texan Steakhouse where you can eat the 72 oz. steak and all the fix'ns for Free if you finish it, otherwise, it's $72. You can schedule a free limo ride to the restaurant. You don't have to stay at their park to use the service, they will pick you up/drop off at just about any of the nearby parks/hotels. Most of the time, you will see people trying the Big Steak. While we were there, two people were attempting it, I don't think they made it as we left before they finished. They give you an hour to eat it all! The food there is good.

The Jack Sisemore Traveland museum is in Amarillo and is neat to see. They have the RV that was in the movie with Robin Williams (the old red Flxible Starliner) and many antique RV's of all kinds.

Next stop, Oklahoma City at the Mustang Run RV Park. This is a very clean park with all concrete sites and road. The American Quarter Horse Museum is there and I hear that it's a must see. We'll do that one day ourselves! The original Capitol was in Gutherie, OK, just north of Oklahoma City. Nice little town to seek out, we enjoyed touring it.

Next stop, Russellville, AR, at Ivy's Cove Resort (a nice small family owned RV park). It makes for a good stop before driving into Memphis.

Are you going to see Graceland while in Memphis?

Safe travels and good luck!
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #4

Thanks for all the great tips, Mark. We've actually never been in Tucson before. We will be staying at Lazydays for a month. We sold our home in Pennsylvania in September and went full time. We left Pennsylvania and worked our way west to Washington where we established residency with our son. Then we headed south and we've been in Desert Hot Springs since before Christmas. We're leaving here later this week and on to Tucson for a month after a stop at Quartzite and two weeks in Yuma. We've camped up and down the east coast over the past 40 years but this is all new territory for us so we're always looking for suggestions and recommendations, not only for RV park and places to visit but also RV friendly (and dog friendly) stops along the road.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasRomr View Post
Bubbiebecker,

Sounds like a fun trip!
I can’t respond with useful information until you reach Arkansas. I’ve lived here my entire life and can say that it’s a very beautiful state. Especially the northwest half which has gorgeous lakes.
Lake Ouachita is not far to the north of Hot Springs. Hot Springs NP is actually comprised of the entire ‘old section’ of the city. It has bath/massage houses fed by the natural hot water springs which gives the city its name. Lake Ouachita state park could be a good spot to camp.
One must do: You guys have to eat at McClards bbq restaurant. It is widely known for its tamale spreads as well as its bbq. Word of warning.... you may have to fight for a seat!
Greer’s Ferry lake is just a pretty and in my opinion even more pristine than Ouachita. However, it’s about an hour north of I40. Take hwy 65 at Conway up to near Clinton. I have my boat slipped at Choctaw park which is the western side of the lake. That time of year it should have several ‘walk up’ spots available. This is where I camp when in state.
Be safe and have a great trip!

ArkansasRomr
Thanks. We'll check those out if we have time. Especially if the NP isn't open. I certainly hope it will be by then.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:27 AM   #6

I agree with Mr.Mark....
The Big Texan steaks!!
tucson.don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:43 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Hey guys,

I didn’t make myself clear about Hot Springs NP. It is open year round as it is the city of Hot Springs. You can walk along Central Avenue which is pretty much as it was in the 20’s and 30’s when it served as the ‘neutral site’ for gangsters. My grandfather told of when he’d caddy for Pretty Boy Floyd and others. Even though it was considered safe grounds for different gangs he said they always kept tommy guns in the bag! Also, you can enjoy the same bath houses they used and soak in the natural hot springs waters coming out of the hills. Really cool place.
There are campgrounds along hwy70 coming into town.

Take care on I40 between Little Rock and Memphis as it’s the most heavily traveled interstate section for big rigs.

Romr
ArkansasRomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:55 PM   #8

We drive from Tucson to Dallas twice a year, overnighting in Van Horn, TX. Not much scenery out there. There is a nice campground just east of Texarkana on the north side of I30.

Since you have time, I would swing down to San Antonio for a couple of days and then up to Fredericksburg for about 4-5 days. Wine country, LBJ ranch, great food, WWII museum and other good sights. Marble falls is pretty. South of Ft Worth is one of those new Jellystone parks.
heathtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:55 PM   #9

Thanks, Romr. I understand that as a rule Hot Springs is open year round but, as things are right now, who knows.