RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2018, 07:58 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Update - Southern New Mexico and Big Bend

Hi again. Thanks for all the help given in my original thread.

I know for some this will seem like we're moving a lot, but we rarely stay in the same campground for more than 3-4 days unless there is a ton to do close by. We prefer moving the RV a 100 or so miles, to driving the Jeep that far for more than 1 day to do things. We spend a lot of time on unpaved roads, which can make for a long day.
So, with that in mind, I'd love your thoughts. And especially need suggestions for places I've not made reservations yet.

Here's what I've got:

Oct. 20 - Leave Mineral Wells SP, TX and spend 2 nights somewhere between Roswell and Oliver Lee SP. (Would like to just make a long day of it and push on down to Oliver Lee but no open spots. Option would be to see if we could push our dates at Mineral Wells to the 20th and 21st and add 2 days elsewhere in the trip.)
Oct 20 & 21 - overnight ??? maybe near Ruidoso and go to Sunspot from there rather than from Oliver Lee (?)
Oct 22-24 Oliver Lee SP
Oct 25-28 - Leasburg Dam SP Doing stuff in all directions from here.
Oct 29-Nov 1 - City of Rocks SP (non-electric site) There's a lot we want to do in the Gila NF and Wilderness. Would we better off to get a hook-up site in Silver City?
Nov 2-4 Several places to go/things to do between Socorro and Datil areas but have no idea where to stay. (Valley of Fires is farther than we want to drive every day in addition to the other driving we'll be doing - mostly slow-going on unpaved roads.)
Nov 5 - Valley of Fires SP
Nov 6 - Brantley Lake SP Have been to Carlsbad, so not going there. Staying here to go to Sitting Bull Falls and drive Guadalupe Backcountry By-way.
Nov 7 & 8 - Guadalupe Mountains NP (if we can get a spot)
Nov 9 & 10 Davis Mt. SP
Nov 11-13 (or 14) Study Butte area for that side of Big Bend NP and Big Bend Ranch SP
Nov 14-17 (or 15-17) Rio Grande Village
Nov 18 - start for home

If we cut out the 2 days between Mineral Wells and Oliver Lee, they'll go somewhere after City of Rocks. Suggestions?

I know this long, so thanks in advance to those who have gotten this far.
Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2018, 10:21 AM   #2

How do I find your original post? We are heading down that way this winter, never been. THX TB
TANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:59 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
TANDD, I'm not the most knowledgeable about how to do things here. I'm sure there's a way to capture that thread and post in this answer, but I don't know how. However, if you go to the search this thread box at the top here and click on advanced search, you can search for it using Floridafran. It's about the 4th one down the list. Title is Southern New Mexico and Big Bend. I received lots of good advice.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:46 PM   #4

To find other posts by Floridafran just click on her name on this post.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote