Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2017, 06:50 PM   #1

US2 from Mackinaw west

Has anyone taken US2 west from Mackinaw to Grand Forks or Minot? Thinking about a nice slow trip next summer.
Thanks all
OverDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #2

Have just completed going from Mackinaw to Glacier National park. The road is great. Great scenery along Lake Michigan. Need to stay at MN state park in East gGrand Forks. Surprised to find that I found ND enchanting. Highly recommend
TsuSM70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, I've taken US 2 west many time but actually prefer the route the northern route Hwy 28 through Marquette, better scenery. Just depends on what you want to see.

You can go all the way to the Porcupine Mtns, a walk to see Lake the Clouds is worthwhile.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, I've taken US 2 west many time but actually prefer the route the northern route Hwy 28 through Marquette, better scenery. Just depends on what you want to see.

For some reason fuel in Munising is always cheaper also.

You can go all the way to the Porcupine Mtns, a walk to see Lake the Clouds is worthwhile.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:41 PM   #5

Yes. A beautiful drive, best enjoyed during daylight (not only for the sights, but to avoid a collision with a large mammal crossing the road). We drove this in fall of 2015.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:38 AM   #6

Thanks to everyone for the help on the trip.
We will be in Curtis for a few days next week but I think the trip west on US2 will have to wait until next summer or fall.
It looks like maybe I-75 to 123, 123 to 28, 28 to Ironwood then 2 west from there might be a good option based on your help.
We will be traveling in the daylight to be able to see the various sights along the way. My brain pretty much stops working by dusk so I try to not drive at night if at all possible. Plus a critter print is not what I want to have on the front of the shiny nearly new MH.
Thanks again for your replies and suggestions and feel free to add suggestions for stops along the way. We may go all the way to Glacier depending on how available time turns out.
I am thinking maybe 225-250 miles a day on this road?
Old 08-10-2017, 06:47 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TsuSM70 View Post
Have just completed going from Mackinaw to Glacier National park. The road is great. Great scenery along Lake Michigan. Need to stay at MN state park in East gGrand Forks. Surprised to find that I found ND enchanting. Highly recommend
What's the name of the State park?

D
Old 08-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDo View Post
Thanks to everyone for the help on the trip.
We will be in Curtis for a few days next week but I think the trip west on US2 will have to wait until next summer or fall.
It looks like maybe I-75 to 123, 123 to 28, 28 to Ironwood then 2 west from there might be a good option based on your help.
We will be traveling in the daylight to be able to see the various sights along the way. My brain pretty much stops working by dusk so I try to not drive at night if at all possible. Plus a critter print is not what I want to have on the front of the shiny nearly new MH.
Thanks again for your replies and suggestions and feel free to add suggestions for stops along the way. We may go all the way to Glacier depending on how available time turns out.
I am thinking maybe 225-250 miles a day on this road?
we took 2 motorhomes all the way to Washington state from the Upper P in Mi...it was by far the best trip we've taken in our bus....Did the Lake in the Clouds...stayed in a city park in Marquette was great...and do Coulee Dam....fantastic light show but also gives a history of our great land during the show...we stayed in a campground in Wy...called Lewis and Clark,you park in a circle ,like the wagon trains did..neat
someplace along the way,in the parking lt of a great home cooking rest..is a monument for the Geographical center of NORTH AMERICA...
If you go all the way...after Coulee Dam as you go along the Snake River...there are some neat campgrounds right on the river....
Go Slow...enjoy the USA off the Interstates...C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:07 AM   #9

What a great group of enthusiasts. Thanks all.