RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2020, 03:39 PM   #1

Utah

Hello
We are planning a trip from WV to Utah the first week of October next year. I have searched trips on google but everyone seems to only spend one day at each of the NP. Looks too hectic for us.
Im thinking 2 days in Bryce, 3 in Zion,and 3-4 in the Moab area.
We will travel out on I 70 and return through the Durango Co area.
Any suggestions on days at each park/area is appreciated.
Wvdazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2020, 04:04 PM   #2

We are not big hikers. Two days at Moad was enough. One day to do Canyon Lands and Dead Horse.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:35 PM   #3
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Both of us have some mobility issues so little walking,

Drove through Arches one day, Canyonlands one day, took short one day just fooling around town and going back to Arches to places we wanted to see again, and one day we just did nothing.

Bryce we spent three days and I wished we could spend more. Both of us could just sit and soak up the views, and feel closer to Mother Earth. We plan to go back this year with 3/4's of the grandkids.

We were in late October, nice but crisp mornings so plan accordingly.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:52 PM   #4

WV, you've got the right idea. Don't rush it. We have spent several days at a time at each of the parks in Utah and would have liked to spend more. We hike (never more than 8 miles a day) and mountain bike (carefully).

If you take your time, and get away from the crowds in the visitors' centers, you can soak up the silence and the rugged landscape.

Moab, however, tends to be busier than the other areas. Lots of jeep and ATV action!
Old 09-19-2020, 06:03 PM   #5

Everyone travels and does siteseesing differently. Some go to places just to say "I've been there". Many others go and explore the park and surrounding area thoroughly. We've been to all those parks multiple times spending a week or more and are busy every day. If you're a hiker add more time at Bryce. It's a fairy wonderland down there. Plus you can drive Hwy 12 and explore many other wonderful things - Kodachrome Basin State Park/Grosvenor Arch, Calf Creek, Anasazi State Park, Escalante - hike some easy slot canyons; Red Canyon at Bryce has wonderful trails. Google 'Utah Highway 12' for many ideas.

Zion you can tour Best Friends Animal Sanctuary (sign up for a tour) in Kanab; Pipe Spring Nat'l Monument or even a long day trip to Grand Canyon North Rim.

Moab - take an evening cruise tour on the Colorado River, drive up LaSal Mtn. Rd., Canyonlands Nat'l Park is there along with Arches, sign up for the Fiery Furnace hike at Arches - very unique, ranger-led. Dead Horse Point State Park (a nice place to say) lovely drive, drive Hwy 128 along the Colorado River, drive down to Canyonland Needles section - hike on the slickrock for a great experience (not slick, by the way), Newspaper Rock and most of all, rent a Jeep or take a Jeep tour if you don't have your own.

All national parks have a wonderful web site giving things to do, camping, road information, special alerts and maps. Explore them thoroughly for ideas. Refer to them right before your trip to get up-to-date information and changes. Also utilize the town chamber of commerce/visitor centers.

https://www.nps.gov/brca/index.htm

https://www.nps.gov/arch/index.htm

https://www.nps.gov/cany/index.htm

https://www.nps.gov/zion/index.htm

Have fun! They are all favorite places of ours over and over again!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:35 PM   #6

We're on the last leg of our one month trip through Utah. We have traveled here many times so thought we'd do something different this time. Instead of staying at NP campgrounds we have been mostly staying at Utah State parks. They have a great network of parks with cheap rates. Most parks have some FHU sites and most sites are quite large and spaced further apart. We did spend some time in commercial RV parks Here's our list:
Dead Horse Point SP 3 nights
The Portal RV Resort in Moab 3 nights
Escalante Petrified Woods SP 3 nights
Kodachrome Basin SP 2 nights
The Portal RV Resort Moab 3 nights
Palisade SP 4 nights
Zion Canyon Campground & RV Resort finally for 5 nights. This is our favorite NP.

We bike a lot wherever we stay. Electric pedal assist. We're old folks and need the extra effort to lower the hills.

Hope this is of help. You do need to make reservations early even at the state parks. All of the above have incredible views.

Enjoy...Ron
Old 09-20-2020, 10:10 AM   #7

Great point about Kodachrome -- how could I forget to mention it?? In any other state, Kodachrome would be a national park -- but Utah already has five, so it is just a state park.

Anyway, this blog post might whet your appetite:

https://lookmomwerecamping.blogspot....mber-2014.html
Old 09-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #8

We just returned from 11 days in Capitol Reef/Bryce Canyon/Zion NPs. Our favorite by far was Bryce and the 4 days we were there was not enough for us. Easy to use shuttle that was not over crowded. Each stop had beautiful scenery too. There was also miles of shady paved walking/bike paths that were only lightly used. We found Zion to be over crowded, nearly impossible to get shuttle tickets, and then 6 of the 10 shuttle stops were closed and the scenery from the shuttle not nearly as beautiful as what we saw in Bryce Canyon. Bryce Canyon is 4000 foot higher elevation than Zion NP so that may have some consideration for you and of course this is just our opinion. FYI we were traveling in a 30' class C and are in our mid 60s.

Oh, yeah, the scenic drive from Bryce Canyon to Zion NP was a highlight of the trip and as I recall had some 14% grades.

Mike
Mr_Moustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Moustache View Post

Oh, yeah, the scenic drive from Bryce Canyon to Zion NP was a highlight of the trip and as I recall had some 14% grades.
What road were you on? I don't recall a road between Bryce & Zion with 14%.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:32 AM   #10

It was Highway 12 scenic byway. The summit was 9636' and there were at least 2 down grades of 14%. I did an internet search to make sure I was not exaggerating. I was driving at the time and was too busy to take a picture of the sign!

Mike
Mr_Moustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvdazey View Post
Hello
We are planning a trip from WV to Utah the first week of October next year. I have searched trips on google but everyone seems to only spend one day at each of the NP. Looks too hectic for us.
I'm envious! It looks like our big trip this year is going to be an informal star party at Calhoun County Park the third week of October.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Hello
Sometimes a review of an older post will help - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/uta...ip-380023.html

or

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/utah-5-a-357429.html

or

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/pre-...me-433398.html

As you can see you are not the first to look this trip over - much to see and think about with any plan.

IMHO, Weather is the key - I/We do not enjoy 100 degree's Plus temps so we have almost always done Utah in the Winter - November through February - Not hot - but on a sunny day it can still be warm - Not Crowded - little need for reservations - and with it being cooler, we've found that it's a lot easier to heat these things (RV's) than Cool them. In most of the parks the Shuttles are closed so you can drive them like we have always done (Not a shuttle Person) - Last thing all those Big Rocks out west (the Rockies) sure are beautiful with the Winter Whites on the Peaks.

Enjoy your plans, there is no wrong way to do it just really wrong not to Do It!

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Hello
Just a couple more adds to your thought process - I'm sitting in Colorado Right Now - with my brother from West Virginia - Just short of Monarch Pass - we just spen the last week in Buena Vista for the Aspen and have loved it - we are headed up to Custer for a week to catch that before returning to Golden then back to WV. Utah is Great - You will only get a Taste, on this trip, we have spent well over a hundred days there and have only scratched the surface - Great People - Great variety of landscapes so you will love it,

Main Point of this extra note is to Strongly suggest you take the Back Roads through Colorado as you go to Utah - Buena Vista and the Collegiates are Beautiful this time of Year and the color will never leave your minds Eye.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/need...do-505479.html

Just a few images of what we have seen this year - Beautiful way to start you Big Trip to UTAH!

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Moustache View Post
It was Highway 12 scenic byway. The summit was 9636' and there were at least 2 down grades of 14%. I did an internet search to make sure I was not exaggerating. I was driving at the time and was too busy to take a picture of the sign!

Mike
I couldn't figure out what road you took. Hwy 12 would not be the road to take from Bryce to Zion. You must have meant from Capitol Reef to Bryce. It's a gorgeous drive though. We've done it often and have stayed midway to explore in more depth.

Tags
utah