Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2017, 11:07 PM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
hoosierrun - boy what a story. Sorry to hear it! Good side? You're not in Avon (yup know right where that's at, I'll be going thru there next week). Nothing is inexpensive in Montana -- nothing. Keep that in mind and voice it loudly for expenses.
Sure can see your painted picture straddling lanes in Helena. Luckily most folks here are use to cows doing such and hope they had patiences. That still had to incredibly nerve racking! I go thru Helena a good bit, folks are usually pretty good, but holidays and tourist may have changed demographics over the time period too.

If you have an iPhone try this Helena App. ' Helena Walking Tours'. It gives lots including restaurants and you could take the toad if you don't wish to do that much walking. The homes are beautiful and on nice shady tree lined streets. Try the carousel on Lyndale Ave, The Brewhouse is great for lunch, same side of the street, easy walk. Opposite direction from the carousel , try The Silver Star Steakhouse- excellent dinner and one of Montana's finest restaurants! Try the Big Dipper for ice cream on the walking mall (not far from the library / Mt Ascension area.) very pretty park too.
Might help chase the time away. Good luck and keep us posted.

PS on a semi serious note, keep your eyes pealed if you go anywhere near the mountains. Every now and then cougars (we call them mountain lions up here) show up in the neighborhood yards. They're much bigger than Florida panthers and not as timid... Don't need to add to your current state, a 'big cat story' Looking forward to your updates, again, good luck.
MTSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2017, 07:07 PM   #30

Mercedes trouble

This is not the first time Mercedes has had to deal with crappy wiring harness problems. When the "new" S class was introduced in 2002, this was one of the major headaches for techs. I worked on more than several that had disintegrating wire harness. I believe it became a class action lawsuit. The repair was to replace the harness, after chasing demons and phantom check engine codes. A tech could spend a lot of time on such a problem- time he most likely would not be paid for. The upshot is, the harness was made by Delphi, to Mercedes (read cheap) specs. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
brucenem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #31

MTSam Thanks.
We loved the description about folks being patient because cows... and sometimes RV's get crossways in the road..lol.

Actually, all the Montana folks have been very friendly and helpful here. I wish I could say the same for the congested population centers in Florida. People seem to be more stressed and impatient there.

We are in Missoula and got towed from Helena. I'd investigate Helena more if I could just be beamed over there. . We've hit most of the highlights of Missoula and even took the toad up to the National Bison range for a long dusty but beautiful drive.

Not too much more to report on the RV situation. The dealer has been requested by Mercedes to perform some more tests tomorrow.

Accommodations are very expensive here and most places are full. We can not get in the KOA, although they have been trying to work with us. We ended up agreeing to a long term stay at the Holiday Inn Express at reduced daily rates.

Today it hit 98 degrees and last night we got shook in our beds by an earthquake. We are pretty numb to anything else that could go wrong. Earthquake? Oh Well...
Old 07-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
hoosierrun -

I immediately thought you guys once I knew it really had been an earthquake -- and how far reaching it was. I was certain you'd be ok, but my goodness, your neighbors aren't going to believe your 'block party stories'!!

I left the panhandle, so I get it. Been gone almost two decades. I went thru culture shock when I went back in '08. I could barely drive down the road it was so overwhelming. I had never seen large tv type billboards -- let alone so far down the road!! SO Distracting. I don't know how folks read that much and not plow into one another --- and that was before cell phone use behind the wheel got as bad as it is now.

Glad you check'd in here. Been thinking about ya'll all day!

Dinner bell is ringing... I don't like missing a good meal :P
MTSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:21 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is odd that a foreign auto maker is allowed to sell vehicles here yet they have inadequate supplies of parts available in this country. Seems like gross negligence.

Hope everything works out to your satisfaction.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:32 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
Well.. I'm totally stunned. I just got off the phone with the service manager at the local dealer. He is talking 2 to 3 weeks for Mercedes to build a new wiring harness.

It is not a stocked item anywhere in the US and they are built per vehicle VIN in Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
It is odd that a foreign auto maker is allowed to sell vehicles here yet they have inadequate supplies of parts available in this country. Seems like gross negligence.

Hope everything works out to your satisfaction.

Why don't you call your local GM or Ford dealer and ask them how long it would be for a new wiring harness for one of their trucks?
Old 07-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #35

hosierrun,

Did you ever hear from LTV? Are they involved in trying to expedite this for you?
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
hosierrun,

Did you ever hear from LTV? Are they involved in trying to expedite this for you?
The customer service manager, Brad Wall, has been out the entire week. When I talked to another person in customer service, they were pretty adamant that it is a Mercedes problem and I would have to deal with them. So far, not much help there.

I am going to push by any means (possibly using the legal system) to get someone to help with my living expenses which has now exceeded $1000.00 in motel expenses alone. On Monday, a 'Notice of Vehicle Defect' form, generated by the State of Florida Attorney Generals Office will be sent out to LTV and to Mercedes. I have to send these forms out as the first step in a lemon law complaint. They could still fix it before the time period and I could still receive no compensation for my expenses.

We are not feeling good about this, primarily because we are bored and stressed at times... and really want to get home. Now my next payment is due on the Serenity, so that is salt on the wound.

The last tests performed by the dealer did not show anything unusual. I really believe there is a glitchy sensor, computer, or intermittent wiring harness that they can't identify in their shop.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:21 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Why don't you call your local GM or Ford dealer and ask them how long it would be for a new wiring harness for one of their trucks?
They could probably pull one off the assembly line and have it quickly.... but honestly, I think Mercedes could pull one off a new similar vehicle and have it in a couple of days. They just won't do it.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
The customer service manager, Brad Wall, has been out the entire week. When I talked to another person in customer service, they were pretty adamant that it is a Mercedes problem and I would have to deal with them. So far, not much help there.

I am going to push by any means (possibly using the legal system) to get someone to help with my living expenses which has now exceeded $1000.00 in motel expenses alone. On Monday, a 'Notice of Vehicle Defect' form, generated by the State of Florida Attorney Generals Office will be sent out to LTV and to Mercedes. I have to send these forms out as the first step in a lemon law complaint. They could still fix it before the time period and I could still receive no compensation for my expenses.

We are not feeling good about this, primarily because we are bored and stressed at times... and really want to get home. Now my next payment is due on the Serenity, so that is salt on the wound.

The last tests performed by the dealer did not show anything unusual. I really believe there is a glitchy sensor, computer, or intermittent wiring harness that they can't identify in their shop.
Filing in Small Claims Court would get their attention mighty fast. Just make sure you document everything.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:49 AM   #39

hosierrun,

Do you know who Dean Corrigal is? He is the Western Sales manager (last I knew) for LTV and super nice guy. You should call LTV and ask for his assistance. Leisure Vans would have immense pull with Mercedes. I will look in my phone contacts and see if I have the MB Vice-Presidents for North American Commercial sales reps number. I used to own a Airstream Interstate. I had a beef with MB about warranties on motorhomes. An email I sent was put on an overhead at an International sales meeting. It got some people's attention.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:58 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
hosierrun,

Do you know who Dean Corrigal is? He is the Western Sales manager (last I knew) for LTV and super nice guy. You should call LTV and ask for his assistance. Leisure Vans would have immense pull with Mercedes. I will look in my phone contacts and see if I have the MB Vice-Presidents for North American Commercial sales reps number. I used to own a Airstream Interstate. I had a beef with MB about warranties on motorhomes. An email I sent was put on an overhead at an International sales meeting. It got some people's attention.
Thanks... I appreciate that info. and if you have a number, I'll check back here or look on my PM's periodically. I would also expect them to have an East coast sales manager... if anyone knows who that is?

EDIT: Dean??? I wonder if that is the guy who does their sales Video? We watched that video a few times and it was influential in our decision making process. He did a good job and it would be great if he could help.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #41

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Actually, Florida has a section in the law specifically addressing motorhomes. The law specifically excludes problems associated with living quarters, but does cover the engine and drivetrain components.
The main FL Lemon Law site I looked at before my original post doesn't say anything other than "motor vehicles" so it must be buried somewhere else.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:12 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The main FL Lemon Law site I looked at before my original post doesn't say anything other than "motor vehicles" so it must be buried somewhere else.
I have already talked to the Attorney General's Office in FL. Yes... they do apply the lemon law to motorhomes. It does not apply in the case of living quarter issues, but it does apply to the vehicle powertrain and chassis. The only problem is, instead of 30 days downtime for a passenger vehicle, it is extended to 60 days for a motorhome. Four repair failures for the same issue problem means it is a lemon and must go to arbitration. I can't imagine going that far in this case, but it could happen. I understand now why Mercedes is not having the dealer attempt a fix and sending us on our way. Intermittent problems like this can add up to 4 tries very quickly. I think they have been there before according to reports I see on the web.

Tags
alaska, alaska trip, cat