Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2015, 09:19 AM   #1

Skyline Owners Group
Vermont State Parks

Hi all,
We are planning an August trip to a Vermont State Park with the Layton:
Button Bay or Half Moon or Woodford. Anyone have any feedback on the roads leading to the campgrounds?
Gas stations between New York and the parks?
Thanks for your time!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 10:56 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Vermont

Hi,
My wife's parents live in VT and we travel from Virgina to visit a couple times a year. I have driven the coach twice, the roads are good enough but most are 2 lane with passing zones. Coming from the south via I-87 I recommend exiting at Lake George to NY149 to Fort Ann where you will catch NY4 to the VT border (there is a welcome center there on the right) Just past the welcome center catch 22A North to your destination.

An alternate (I drove home last fall) is to continue up I-87 to exit 28, exiting to NY 74 over to Ticongderoga, then make a left on 9N to NY185 Crown Point to cross over the lake to VT which is south of Button Bay. Be warned though, this route is hilly and curvy... and very very beautiful when passing the Mountain lakes. In a car I believe this to be a faster route as there is much more high speed travel on I87 vs the 55mph on VT and NY 2 lane roads.

I guess it depends on what you are driving and road preference. NY 9N actually extends all the way to lake George with some beautiful visas along the way.

I have not stayed in a VT state park, so I can not offer any comment.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lived in VT for 40+ years, very close to Half Moon. Road to Half Moon is a secondary, town road, so might depend on what you are driving. Also, the sites in Half Moon and Woodford are not very large, so you might want to check to be sure you can reserve one, that fits your needs. I assume you are aware that these three parks are nowhere near one another, and that Vermont State Parks have no hookups, but do provide dump stations.
I would recommend option one that dbywaters offered as a route.
Finding gas along the way should not be a problem.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Was at Half Moon about 4 years ago, and have a 4 night stay this Aug. reserved. Here are some pics from our last visit. Half Moon State Park.

Nice remote park. Good sized sites if you know which to reserve. If your RV is under say 32'. The waterfront ones reserve first. I might be able to help if your looking at certain sites there is I have a database of good sites there. The lake water is very warm in Aug. There is a small beach. Great lake to swim in from side to side. Also good for kayaks. We took our kayaks out at midnight.

We'll also be doing Jamaica State Park too. Have been to Gifford Woods, Lake St. Catherine and Smuggler Notch State Park in that state.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:55 AM   #5

Skyline Owners Group
Thanks all,
Do you take a gen to 1/2 Moon?
We are excited about Winhall Brook. Any feedback? We have been to Jamaica twice and Smugglers Notch once. I know WB is above Jamaica. We hiked to Hamilton Falls and kept going to the dam. We are coming up from PA, so it looks like about a 5-7 hour trip and make a right at Albany. Long ride, but it will be worth it.
How about feedback on bike trails?
Old 05-20-2015, 06:35 AM   #6

Winhall is a nice place good size sites. A loop with W/E. Others no hook ups. Really clean bath houses. A decent hiking trail in the park up to some waterfalls. We stay every year
Monster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:31 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
We are coming up from PA, so it looks like about a 5-7 hour trip and make a right at Albany
Were coming from NE. Ohio. On the way we're stopping for 7 nights at a NE. PA. State Park called Worlds End west of Scranton. From there going up I-88 thru New York State. It gets a little tricky around Albany. Usually we are coming across the state on the NY. toll-road (I-80) and exit just west of Albany and cut thru Saratoga Springs. It can be a very slow go around Saratoga Springs. We usually enter VT. on Route 4. But since Jamaica SP. is our first stop in VT., I think we will enter the state lower on route 7.

So over 22 days we'll be at Worlds End PA., Jamaica SP. VT. Lake Dunmore Kamperville (Middlefield VT.) and Half Moon SP. VT.

Quote:
Do you take a gen to 1/2 Moon?
Not sure what Vermont State Park rules are for generators. None of their state park have electric service. Having stayed at many VT. State Park over the years I really don't recall many generators being used. I just bought a 100 watt portable suitcase solar panel (Renogy). So with two 4 night stays at VT. parks it will be the first time to see how the solar panel does.

We go to VT. parks for peace and quiet. Do some hiking, kayaking, Wildlife, Biking, read a good book or two and relax by the fire.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:39 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Vermont State Parks Generator Rules:
10. Quiet hours are between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. except in areas otherwise
designated by the Commissioner of Forests, Parks and Recreation. Visitors who violate quiet
hours may be ejected from the camping area and may forfeit their fees and reservation.
Reasonable quiet must be maintained at all times in both camping and day use areas. Sound
that is audible on adjacent occupied campsites may be prohibited at the discretion of the park
staff.
11. Generators and rechargers may be used only in areas and/or at times designated by the park
ranger. They may not be operated during quiet hours.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Most people go to parks that have non-electric service to escape the noise. Want a little more quiet, trees and nature at there door step.

Once at Shenandoah National Park (Big Meadow Campground) there was a group of campers who had two large portable 4000 watt gennys going all day long. They were the construction site type that were loud. Thank god, we were in the next loop maybe 1000' away. I felt sorry for anyone that was in that loop.

Have also been at other non-electric parks where there was someone running a Honda 2000 genny in the next site and I could not even hear it.

There is such a big difference in noise between a $169 (Harbor Freight) and a $1000 (Honda) 2000 watt generator.