Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Virginia to Naples then back (1 month trip)

Soon I'm heading south for a reservation at Naples motorcoach resort. I could also get into another resort in Naples but I'm not sure I want to sit in Naples for two weeks, although I'd love it, I do love experiencing new campgrounds and destinations as I'm 6 months into my RV'ing life.

I'm thinking of first stopping in Raleigh for a short first leg coming out of Winterization. Then maybe hug the coast heading south and somewhere along the way cut over to Naples. Myrtle beach, Charleston, Jacksonville, etc. are places I have in mind. Then on the return route head up the western side of FL and back towards VA maybe through Nashville.

Any suggestions on great destinations for maybe 2 nights per stop before moving on to the next stop? Before I just pick "popular" cities or major cities with KOA's etc. I'm interested if there are any great places or things to see that I simply don't know about.

Or, should I just beat fee to Naples and stay there for two weeks straight as I have two resorts I can stay in.

Thanks for your help in what to see in this trip.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2018, 03:38 PM   #2

Savannah is a fun town. Fort Desoto on the west coast of Florida. Flamingo RV Park on the north side of Jacksonville is nice. Mount Pleasant / Charleston KOA is a nice place to explore Charlelston from.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #3

I will second the Flamingo lake as a good stop over park on the way to Naples.

I own a lot at NMCR, and am currently here. Its a beautiful resort. Its roughly a 6 1/2 hour drive from Flamingo to NMCR, I usually do 301 to 75.

If you want to stay on the east side, you could go down to Aztec, near Fort Lauderdale , then come across alligator alley to Naples. They say Aztec is nice, and it is also very popular with Canadians, so a lot of French speaking.........I have never been there.....just what I have read.(not intended as any disrespect to Canadians)

Fort Meyers has Cypress Trail, a fairly new resort, if you have a desire to see that area on your way back up coast.
Boyd R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:12 AM   #4

While in Naples, stop at Stan's in Goodland on Sunday for some fun times
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Soon I'm heading south for a reservation at Naples motorcoach resort. I could also get into another resort in Naples but I'm not sure I want to sit in Naples for two weeks, although I'd love it, I do love experiencing new campgrounds and destinations as I'm 6 months into my RV'ing life.

I'm thinking of first stopping in Raleigh for a short first leg coming out of Winterization. Then maybe hug the coast heading south and somewhere along the way cut over to Naples. Myrtle beach, Charleston, Jacksonville, etc. are places I have in mind. Then on the return route head up the western side of FL and back towards VA maybe through Nashville.

Any suggestions on great destinations for maybe 2 nights per stop before moving on to the next stop? Before I just pick "popular" cities or major cities with KOA's etc. I'm interested if there are any great places or things to see that I simply don't know about.

Or, should I just beat fee to Naples and stay there for two weeks straight as I have two resorts I can stay in.

Hilton head is a stop we have usually made - Hilton Head Harbor and RV Resort and Marina - Home - Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort .

These two are both fun - and you can ride your bike on the beach as the sand is that hard.

Been a few years but the restaurant at the Harbor was exceptional last time we were there, so I'd give it a look - Lots of Great places to eat and Play Golf.

Because we have friends close we have also enjoyed this - Motorcoach Resort St. Lucie West | St Lucie West RV Resort - if you are into the Mets they do spring training just around the corner.

There are many options - unless you find a really great group to hang with I'd see and explore More rather than Less.

Enjoy the Warm Weather,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:43 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:

Try the St Augustine KOA down near the Lighthouse...St A is a great town to explore alot of history and many great "happy hour" haunts to do...C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:51 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We did that trip two years ago. Places we liked were,
Myrtle Beach, Apache Family CG, Savannah, Tybee Island River' End CG, St. Augustine, Bryn Mar CG.

The CG in Myrtle Beach has its own fishing pier and for a few dollars a day they will rent you License, Rod and Reel, Tackle, and bait to fish on their pier.

In Savannah we drove into the city and rode the trolley bus system all over the town.

Also rode the trolley all over St. Augustine. Love that place.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:41 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Great suggestions all. Thank you! Starting my journey and hope to hit some of the recommended stops you suggested.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Great suggestions all. Thank you! Starting my journey and hope to hit some of the recommended stops you suggested.
Neal, if you go to Savannah, go to Mrs Wilkes Boarding house on West Jones st....only open for lunch from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm...but IMHO the best southern food you can get ..better than the more famous lady's in town...C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote