Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
How close is " Near Me " and what kind of music do you listen to ?
I would consider something in the next row when there is tons of space to be a little to close if using a gennie all night. I would consider shutting it off at say 9 or 10 pm to be ok.

The music would be whatever I think would be most annoying to the person who was annoying me. Maybe something in punk or maybe some old school rap. If i was really annoyed i would go ahead and crank up some Tejano.

More than once i have been in a large parking lot and choose a quiet spot out of the way trying to get a few hours of sleep and in an hour or so find a rig running a gennie a row or two over while there is a vast lot with tons of room.
Most times the cranking the music is just what i would like to do them, 95% of the time i just go on my way and maybe render them a one fingered salute on my way out.

Most who do that have no clue or care that their actions might be having an effect on others and would have no idea why they were woke up with loud music.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2017, 09:56 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrv View Post
Just know if you park near me and run a gennie all night or late into the night there is a real good chance I will be playing very loud music at 0600 as i have morning coffee and a snack before i hit the road. My music will be at least as annoying to you as your gennie was to me.
jbrv
I've never even thought about deliberately annoying everyone near me to get even with one RVer who ran his generator.
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #31

I don't beieve that camping and Walmart should be used in the same sentence.

It is not camping.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchopper View Post
jbrv
I've never even thought about deliberately annoying everyone near me to get even with one RVer with a noisy generator.
I believe he said " generator ", " not noisy generator ".

The problem with free overnighting is that like fishermen, some RVers think that, if that guy is there, that must be the right spot.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:35 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I do see and hear generators both built in and portable. Just do your over night neighbors a favor and if you see a normal RV trailer that you know will not have a built in genny and shows no signs of having a portable one on the ground, please "try" to park maybe a little closer to the other RV's running their genny's. Especially if your portable genny is one of those $169 Harbor Freight ones. We usually travel in the northern 1/3 of the country so night time temps are usually not a issue.

I do have to say on our trip to Alaska the Walmart's in MT. and North into Canada, Rver's have made themselves at home. Many have been there using the parking lot as a campground for days or weeks. I guess some people have balls.

There is one YouTube channel where the guy does a weekly Walmart parking lot report in Fairbanks AK. He will drive thru the lot with his GoPro. He knows which RV's have been there for weeks...Even in the winter...

One thing that I have always had in the back of my mind. Say I'm driving all day pre-planning to stop at a Walmart or Cebela's or what ever. I get to the point I'm completely tired. And for safely sake, I have to get off the road and get some sleep. I pull off at a place that I thought was OK for getting some shut eye, but get approached by a officer of the law saying must move and must go elsewhere like a campground at 11pm at night 15 miles somewhere at night, which most likely are closed anyway. At what point as far as "safety" is concerned with my driving alertness for my family and others on the road does he not become partially responsible if I kill someone falling asleep behind the wheel and wreck out.

Sometimes it just hits you like a ton of bricks, I need to pull over. Many times if were traveling and stop for lunch, I'll do a 30-45 minute power nap which will get me down the road. When we were younger we could do the 500-700 mile days. I try to limit it to no more than 350 - 450 miles per day.
This is a very valid point. I have often thought of this same scenario. Would be interesting to find out if the officer ordered the RVer to move on and the RV was involved in an accident. Not a loss of life for sure.
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:03 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank all you all (Tennessee talk) again. We actually found a walk in site at Anastasia state park this morning so our Wal-Mart virginity is intact
But we will store the info for future use.

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:34 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
An example of what NOT to do.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:12 PM   #36
Alx

Alternative

We have just recently joined boondockerswelcome.com this is a great alternative to walmarts etc. It's cheap, $30.00/yr and you have access to view forum hosts from all over Canada and the USA. Basically other RV people are offering up their own property for overnight sometimes up to 3 days of camping, some have hookups etc. sounds like a great alternative, we are heading out next summer and plan on utilizing when we can. If you check out this site, it will give all the details.

All & Cyndi
Alx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:18 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx View Post
We have just recently joined boondockerswelcome.com this is a great alternative to walmarts etc. It's cheap, $30.00/yr and you have access to view forum hosts from all over Canada and the USA. Basically other RV people are offering up their own property for overnight sometimes up to 3 days of camping, some have hookups etc. sounds like a great alternative, we are heading out next summer and plan on utilizing when we can. If you check out this site, it will give all the details.

All & Cyndi
You might want to check with your homeowners insurance before allowing people you don't know to stay on your property.

Case in point: A friend (It's ALWAYS a friend, isn't it?) did this (not with boondockerswelcome.com), the couple stayed a night, with hookups, left the next day, drove over the mailbox because they drove out the wrong way. Damaged their coach, threatened to sue my friend on the grounds that they offered a "site suitable for camping", which they claim was NOT suitable, thereby causing damage to their vehicle. (even though they drove out the wrong way). Friend told them to take a hike. They got a letter from an attorney. He referred it to his homeowners insurance policy, his insurance company looked into it and paid for the repair of their vehicle (but NOT for his mailbox).

The insurance company then made him sign a disclaimer that he would not "rent" or offer his property any longer, even for free, and if he did, then the insurance company was not liable. Yes, apparently the word "rent" was used, even though he didn't charge them anything . . . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm thinking about buying the All-stays app. Is there a yearly membership?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #39

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The problem with free overnighting is that like fishermen, some RVers think that, if that guy is there, that must be the right spot.
Problem is that staying for a few hours rest at a Wal*Mart is NEVER "free". I always end up spending about $100 at the store and a restaurant close by!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:47 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
Protocol says you should stop by the Customer Service Desk and ask (tell) them if you'd like to spend the night on the lot - and ask if there's any particular area of the lot they want you to park in. I usually get the deer in the headlights look - but that's OK, I always jot down the name of the staff member I talked too and the time of day.

After that - keep yourself in the frame of mind that you're parking on their lot - NOT camping on their lot. No jacks, no awnings, no BBQs, no lawn chairs, etc. We limit our use of parking lots (Walmarts, Cabela's, etc.) to one night stays while en route to a destination. Some folks will tell you NO slides. While I understand the reasoning - I take a modified approach and adhere to a no slides unless using them is completely unobtrusive. For example - I'm parked in a Walmart as I'm typing this. The roadside of my coach is pulled parallel to a curb/island - and my wall slide is extended over the landscaping beside me. If we were parked in a crowded, open lot - such that extending the slide would impede somebody from using the spot next to us ... the slide stays in.

We typically don't arrive until late in the afternoon - and are usually gone by 9 am the next morning. We take care to leave zero trace of our stay.

We also make a point of patronizing the store while we're there. There's usually something we can use in terms of groceries, etc. - and if it's available, fuel. If we use a shopping cart to carry our purchases to the coach (which is virtually always as far from the building as possible - we walk our cart (and any others we happen to find near us!) back to the front of the store.

Again - we're simply parking there ... NOT camping there. Keep that mindset and you'll do just fine.
If I had neighbors, I would like them to be just like you
Old 01-16-2017, 11:00 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Problem is that staying for a few hours rest at a Wal*Mart is NEVER "free". I always end up spending about $100 at the store and a restaurant close by!

Not to mention the $2-$3/hr to run the generator, in season.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:14 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post

True so true.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Tags
camping