Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #29

Don't forget Lowes and Home Depot parking lots. Many allow overnighting.

We parked at a Walmart in West Virginia once when heavy snow forced us off the Interstate. When we got up the next morning we found the parking lot snow plow trucks had plowed the parking lot piling the mounds of snow all around the motorhome! I climbed the mounds of snow and walked into Walmart and found the truck operators drinking coffee. They were laughing at the poor sucker they had blocked in with snow! I cleared my throat and said I was that poor sucker and I would really appreciate help clearing a path for me to get out. They all jumped up patted me on the back and said "follow us". They cleared a wide path, and even plowed the access road for us to leave.

Just a bunch of Good Old Boys having fun.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #30
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
WalMart for sure! I would NEVER stay at a truck stop!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #31

we’ve used the bog box store many, many times - some are easy to access, some not so much. Some have ‘good’ wide areas away from the store to park, others not so much. Many have ‘signs’, but No One has ever approached us or even seemed concerned, even the police or sheriff vehicles parked nearby having coffee. Some are quiet at night, some not so much. Some are in beautiful areas with awe inspiring views(HurricaneUT), and some have ‘welcomed’ us and asked how many nites we would be stayin(AshevilleNC)! Sweet.

Other large ‘hardware’ stores work equally well, sometimes even better - less traffic later in the evening, and plenty areas to park.

We’ve NEVER stayed at or in a TruckStop - too much noise, vehicles way too close, dirty and grimey, trucks coming and going, trucks leaving their generators running all night, sometimes very ‘sketchy’ areas it seems.

Don’t overstay your welcome, but use them and appreciate them.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I guess the noise at the Flying J truck stop doesn't keep me up.

I use their phone app to find ones with seperate RV parking. Still busy, but not blocking big rigs. I gas up before parking and occasionally go in Denny's for desert.

We also use Wal-Mart and a phone app to find ones that allow overnight parking.
Do you need to go inside and ask permission, alert them (Wal-Mart) that you are staying overnight?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Do you need to go inside and ask permission, alert them (Wal-Mart) that you are staying overnight?
It is considered proper etiquette to ask. We phone them from the highway and ask. 80% of the time the answer is yes. If the answer is no, we keep driving/phoning until we get a yes.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #34

If you have the time, try Natchez Trace State Park "https://tnstateparks.itinio.com/natchez-trace" about 45 minutes West of Nashville. Great place to stay, full hookups, beautiful view.

Rob
Old 01-08-2018, 01:15 PM   #35

Quote:

I consider myself a guest on someone's property when I overnight. So I always stop in and ask permission. This has worked very well for us. We've stayed at plenty Walmart's in the USA and Canada. Never had a problem.

As for truck stops, while traveling in the North East on toll roads, we spent nights at the travel centers parked on the truck side of the lot. I picked a spot well away from the service center. Preference was with our bedroom slide side along the curb so we could push the slide out. If we don't get that, no slide went out. Yeah, trucks come and trucks go but it is better than getting on and off of the toll road. I too now have a greater understanding and appreciation of what OTR drivers go through. I respect their space (on the road, at the stops, and fuel stations), and they mine.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHD51 View Post
Planning my first long camping trip, in March, to Fl. from IN, for one month,
beginning at Tomoka State Park by Ormond Beach.
I plan to spend two nights on the road, stopping somewhere just past Nashville and again around Valdosta.
Would you look for a Wal-mart or a Truck stop for overnight parking on the road?
Pulling a 21' TT with a 1500 Chevy PU.
Agree with CG with hookups...where from So IN...I am too Jasper
Old 01-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #37

Foretravel Owners Club
Retired truckdriver here,When traveling... I am more comfortable parking in truckstops (way way out of the way) and I try to take the most difficult parking space that trucks have available, freeing up the easy ones for their use.
Never extend slides.
When I fuel and after i park go in and use the truckstop's showers (still have a CDL)
Several drivers have made positive comments after they see the "Lifetime Member" sticker for OOIDA.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #38

We use both and have never had a problem.
What ever is more convenient at the time you need to stop.
I would suggest staying as close to the interstate as possible for either one, and Flying (J) is my preference since most have an RV section that is much more quiet than the lot lizard section.
Reason for staying closer to interstate is you're less likely to venture into a part of town that may not be as safe as you'd like.

Happy trails

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:06 PM   #39

Quote:
I have never gone in and asked. Most times I park near other RVs or OTR trucks.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cracker Barrel for overnight for us. Get a decent meal, park out back away from everyone else. Don't usually use the "RV lanes" because they're usually too narrow and short, even for us and our 27' MH and toad.
Clientele leave by 10pm, nice and quiet. Have never had a problem. We can a fast breakfast in the am and out of the lot by 6:30-7am.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:47 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
We have spent time in both places, and I prefer the truck stop over Walmart. Walmart has people moving around all night, including the security guard with his flashing light. Don't forget homeless folks wandering around, and traffic.
Find a out of the way spot at the truck stop. If I back in and the truck next to me runs all night, it is in the front, and it doesn't make any more noise than my generator. Sleeping in the rear of our MH has an advantage.
Only been disturbed one time by a lady of the evening. The BOH took care of that for me.
Truck stops for me
vettehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #42

WOW, I can't believe all the great info. and suggestions, Thanks all.
My DW won't be on this trip so I will be solo. I am just looking for a place to eat and sleep for the night so I don't want to go too far off the highway to sleep.
I have also read that often rest stops forbid overnight parking and I don't want to deprive a trucker of a spot when my rig can fit where he can't.
My consensus is to look for a Super Wal-Mart, that allows overnight parking, after asking, that is in a decent neighborhood. I have two consecutive two week stays booked at Tomoka State Park and Little Manatee River State Park so I won't be needing an overnight in FL. as it seems many FL WM are restricting overnighters. It looks like a good plan for me is the WM at Murfreesboro would get me through Atlanta before lunch, the next day and then WM at Valdosta would put me at Tomoka SP early afternoon on check in day.
RHD51 is offline   Reply With Quote