Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2021, 02:22 PM   #1

Walmart overnighting question.

Going to visit the wife's sick bro east of ABQ. He lives up in the mountains so his driveway isn't TT friendly. There's a boondocking spot 10 minutes away but it's in a sketchy area. There's a Walmart 22 minutes away according to Google. What would Walmart think if I unhooked? It would only be for a few hours and we're leaving the next day.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 02:24 PM   #2

Call ahead and get permission.. Get the persons name that granted the permission.. I'll bet you won't have a problem.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR2004 View Post
Call ahead and get permission.. Get the persons name that granted the permission.. I'll bet you won't have a problem.

Old 09-20-2021, 02:49 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where do you think those people in the sketchy area shop?

Oh boy...look! A nice trailer sitting there by itself. All I have to do is back up, cut the lock and haul it off.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:51 PM   #5

I'd be very wary of leaving an unattended trailer in public like that. Do you have a plan to ensure it's there upon your return?
Old 09-20-2021, 03:12 PM   #6

I’d inquire for permission , but not at a Walmart type spot. Look at google map in satellite mode to see parking lots of an RV or Auto repair or even a medical office or hospital type place. Maybe even a sheriff/police station that has public parking. Explain the situation and your need to leave it for x hours. If asked mist these type places would be fine with it I bet.
MCRV Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCRV Passion View Post
I’d inquire for permission , but not at a Walmart type spot. Look at google map in satellite mode to see parking lots of an RV or Auto repair or even a medical office or hospital type place. Maybe even a sheriff/police station that has public parking. Explain the situation and your need to leave it for x hours. If asked mist these type places would be fine with it I bet.
I'd go with this option, it's probably safer than Walmart.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:26 PM   #8

where does brother live? General vicinity. Albuquerque is HUGE. Perhaps someone knows of a better place to stay.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:32 PM   #9

"Do you have a plan to ensure it's there upon your return?"

Yup, one bad boy lock that only a trained locksmith is getting off and insurance. We'll only be gone a few hours. It would be a lot easier to break into the trailer but, again, that isn't gunna gain them much. Life is about choices. We shouldn't have chosen the weekend of the ABQ Balloon Festival to go but since we did we will choose to visit her brother. The Wally World lot is well lit and there will be other overnighters there for sure. I might also throw on a cell based security cam. There are bigger things to worry about.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:49 PM   #10

I don't think a few hours anywhere would be a problem with that can't break a lock you have on it,and you are not so worried about someone getting inside so if you leave it close by maybe it would be fine close to your relatives house and they could pick you up and drop you off .With it hooked up and a lite on inside people would think someone is home ?
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:50 PM   #11

There are Church lots and VFW and AL lots to consider also. Depending on your affiliation. No, seriously, I was broke down and had to get off the road with no brakes. Tow unavailable in Central Florida for days. Found salvation after creeping along the berm to a Church. Pastor allowed me onto their grassy area. After some rest, and allowing the brakes to cool off headed off to Walmart's paved lot to do repair. After back home in PA sent the pastor a check for his Church. All was good and still is.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:59 PM   #12

If you can call and talk to the manager on duty, get his name and see if you can leave it by their Tire and Lube bays. WalMart is supposed to have an all RV's welcome policy, and if you explain the situation they will probably give you all the help they can. Three out of 6 kids worked for WalMart, one as a customer service manager. My reasoning with parking it near the TLE is tire and lube guys going in and out means eyes on the rig. On top of that any nefarious characters are going to think you're getting the tow vehicle serviced and most likely steer clear anyhow.

Hope you BIL does ok.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:01 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you a member of the Elks? They have three lodges in that area.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNiceTent View Post
If you can call and talk to the manager on duty, get his name and see if you can leave it by their Tire and Lube bays.
Good idea.... get an oil change and ask if you can leave the trailer in that area for a couple hours.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote