Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2008, 06:39 AM   #1

Recently stayed 5 nights at Cherry Hill Rv park in College Park Maryland. We used this as our base to sight see our nations capitol.
Cherry Hill was easy to locate and get to. Its located right off the intersection of I-495 and I-95. If on I-495 then exit 25 College Park is the exit you take. If you are East bound on I-495 then you take a right at the stoplight at the top of the ramp and then another right at the nextstop light. If West bound then a left at the stoplight at the top of the ramp and then a right at the next stoplight. This road takes you past a little shopping center, down a hill across I-495 and then to the park entrance on the left.
The campround is a big campground. They have check in lanes that are three wide for you to pull into when you first arrive. There were three or four attendants working the desk but the checkin process is kind of lengthy because there is a lot of information to pass along to you. The campground has a electonic access gate that you are given a code for but turthfully we only had to use it twice the whole time we were there.
The in park roads are asphalt and are in pretty good shape but are a little uneven. The campsights themselves are gravel. Most are back in but there are some pull throughs. I believe you will pay extra for those. Most of the campsights are pretty close together although we did see some that had a little more spacing between them as we drove around the campsight. We both commented that if all the campsights were full when we came down the road our sight was on that it would have been tough making some of the turns and getting into our sight. It is a full hookup campground but I think you can choose if you want 50 or 30 amp sight. This is an older park and the utility hookups are in a strange place. Toward the front of the sight on the drivers side. Had to really stretch the sewer hose. I backed the motorhome as far back as I could without being in the trees and barely had enough room to park the liberty sideways infront of the bus. Some of the other sights might have had more room but not many of them. A lot of the sights were on hills so there was some slope front to back and side to side depending on which sight you have.
Bathhouses were very modern looking painted decorative block on the exterior. I can't comment on the interior as we don't use the bathhouses but I have seen posts from other sights that they are very clean.
There is a conference center or activities center that is very nice. Has a restaraunt, fitness center, pool area and other stuff we didn't look at.
Staff was very friendly and helpful. They even have sightseeing training sessions that give you the how to's of getting around.
They sell metrolink, metrolink bus and tour bus tickts at the office also.
You can catch a bus from the campgound to the union station where you can take various grey line tours of the city.
There is free Wi-fi at this campground and we didn't have any trouble connecting and we werefar from the office area.
The campgound is pricey in my opinion. 50 a night with a Good Sam discount.
Park does offer a lot of conveinence and probably is the best bet if you are going to tour Washington.
As an alternative that I will consider next time. If you don't mind drycamping and can figure things out on your own as far as sightseeing and getting to Union station then you might consider Greenbelt Park. This is operated by the National Pakr service and we drove through it. Very nice park like setting with asphalt roads and sights. No hook ups but very peaceful.
Letsgoagain
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2008, 06:39 AM   #2

Recently stayed 5 nights at Cherry Hill Rv park in College Park Maryland. We used this as our base to sight see our nations capitol.
Cherry Hill was easy to locate and get to. Its located right off the intersection of I-495 and I-95. If on I-495 then exit 25 College Park is the exit you take. If you are East bound on I-495 then you take a right at the stoplight at the top of the ramp and then another right at the nextstop light. If West bound then a left at the stoplight at the top of the ramp and then a right at the next stoplight. This road takes you past a little shopping center, down a hill across I-495 and then to the park entrance on the left.
The campround is a big campground. They have check in lanes that are three wide for you to pull into when you first arrive. There were three or four attendants working the desk but the checkin process is kind of lengthy because there is a lot of information to pass along to you. The campground has a electonic access gate that you are given a code for but turthfully we only had to use it twice the whole time we were there.
The in park roads are asphalt and are in pretty good shape but are a little uneven. The campsights themselves are gravel. Most are back in but there are some pull throughs. I believe you will pay extra for those. Most of the campsights are pretty close together although we did see some that had a little more spacing between them as we drove around the campsight. We both commented that if all the campsights were full when we came down the road our sight was on that it would have been tough making some of the turns and getting into our sight. It is a full hookup campground but I think you can choose if you want 50 or 30 amp sight. This is an older park and the utility hookups are in a strange place. Toward the front of the sight on the drivers side. Had to really stretch the sewer hose. I backed the motorhome as far back as I could without being in the trees and barely had enough room to park the liberty sideways infront of the bus. Some of the other sights might have had more room but not many of them. A lot of the sights were on hills so there was some slope front to back and side to side depending on which sight you have.
Bathhouses were very modern looking painted decorative block on the exterior. I can't comment on the interior as we don't use the bathhouses but I have seen posts from other sights that they are very clean.
There is a conference center or activities center that is very nice. Has a restaraunt, fitness center, pool area and other stuff we didn't look at.
Staff was very friendly and helpful. They even have sightseeing training sessions that give you the how to's of getting around.
They sell metrolink, metrolink bus and tour bus tickts at the office also.
You can catch a bus from the campgound to the union station where you can take various grey line tours of the city.
There is free Wi-fi at this campground and we didn't have any trouble connecting and we werefar from the office area.
The campgound is pricey in my opinion. 50 a night with a Good Sam discount.
Park does offer a lot of conveinence and probably is the best bet if you are going to tour Washington.
As an alternative that I will consider next time. If you don't mind drycamping and can figure things out on your own as far as sightseeing and getting to Union station then you might consider Greenbelt Park. This is operated by the National Pakr service and we drove through it. Very nice park like setting with asphalt roads and sights. No hook ups but very peaceful.
Letsgoagain
Old 05-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the good review. If we can get that way, that's probably where we'll have to stay - DW doesn't do "NO HOOK-UPS". I really don't know what all those tanks and the generator is for.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:50 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
FWIW,

This is the "new" Cherry Hill Park.

When we camped there in the '70s with our Terry TT it was known as Cherry Hill Camp City and was located about a mile away on US Route 1.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Accurate review by Letsgoagain. Stayed there for 4 nights beginning of May. Definitely recommend it if you want to visit DC.

As mentioned some sites were tight. We were in a premium site and had difficulty getting the toad safely off the road. Next time I'd opt for a pull thru.

Electronic gate was mostly opened but if you are coming back after hours I'd verify the code. For some reason they changed it and if I hadn't discovered it while the office was opened I would have been stuck one evening.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Letsgoagain ,

It sounds like this CG would be a good candidate for our Campground Reviews section. We'd appreciate it if you'd add it.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:25 AM   #7

We were at Cherry Hill in June and found it to be very convenient to the DC area. We had a pull thorugh site with more than enough room for the TT and our Yukon TV. We didn't have to do any side to side leveling. We will definately return if we are in the area again. I think it is worth every penny of what they cahrge for what you get. My fuel pump went on the Tv and the staff couldn't have been more helpfull with finding someone to replace it.
pmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:47 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Richard,
Cherry Hill CG has been in the iRV2 CG section for quite some time. Another review to add to those already there would be great.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #9

We feel it is the best place to stay in the area and see Washington D.C.
When we were there they had a dog walking service where you could be gone all day and not worrie about fido.

Milton Fl.
Noworries is offline   Reply With Quote