RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2019, 01:08 PM   #1

West coast of Michigan

We are planning on visiting the West coast of Michigan this coming July. We will be in a 37' Class A pulling our Honda CRV. We would like to spend a few days somewhere between Holland and Manistee before going up to the Travers City area and exploring there.
I looking for suggestions of campgrounds both along the coast as well as the Travers City area.
Thanks

Wm Mayberry
2003 National Tradewinds 375LE
2011 Honda CRV
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiii View Post
We are planning on visiting the West coast of Michigan this coming July. We will be in a 37' Class A pulling our Honda CRV. We would like to spend a few days somewhere between Holland and Manistee before going up to the Travers City area and exploring there.
I looking for suggestions of campgrounds both along the coast as well as the Travers City area.
Thanks

Wm Mayberry
2011 Honda CRV
Wild Cherry in Sutton's Bay
Indigo Bluff
Hearthside in Petoskey (Upscale)
Traverse Bay in TC
Old 03-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #3

Duck Creek RV Resort, Muskegon, MI

Poncho's Pond, Ludington, MI

Trailway Campground, Whitehall, MI This is a small city owned CG that is geared to adults. No real amenities for kids. Located on one of MI's bike trails. Good for a layover

There was a real nice KOA in Petoskey but it was recently bought out by Sun Resorts (IIRC) and I don't know the current status of it.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #4

Vacation Station Ludington, newer and much nicer. Across from Walmart if you come in late and need an overnight parking spot. Our avatar picture is from there

With the toad go do the tunnel of trees

Sleeping Bear Dunes

Drive M-22 along the coast
Old 03-07-2019, 11:49 PM   #5

The Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore is a gorgeous area west of Traverse City.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:53 AM   #6
sj

Hartwick Pines

I think Grayling with Hartwick Pines State Park might be a good stop for you. It's been a long time since I camped there, probably in a tent, so I can't testify about RV sites. I think there might be other campgrounds than the State Park.
~Sandee~

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiii View Post
I looking for suggestions of campgrounds both along the coast as well as the Traverse City area.
Thanks
Wm Mayberry
2011 Honda CRV
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:56 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would review as much information as you can about campgrounds you may be interested in on line and make reservations at them as soon as possible. The upper West side of MI will be very busy that time of year. Traverse City especially. Good luck and have a Great time. Be safe.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:30 AM   #8

We are thinking of a somewhat central location that we can explore the area from before going up to Traverse City, then the Mackinac area.
Thanks,
Wm
Old 03-08-2019, 05:41 AM   #9

I am partial to Silver Lake Resort and Campground in Mears, Michigan. Nice place, great staff. We have been there several times and never disappointed.

The area is right on the coast. Sand dunes. Lake activities. Just a nice place.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:01 AM   #10

You did not say when in July you would be in Traverse City. The National Cherry Festival will be running from June 29 - July 6, 2019. Camping sites for that time may be hard to find.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCollins View Post
You did not say when in July you would be in Traverse City. The National Cherry Festival will be running from June 29 - July 6, 2019. Camping sites for that time may be hard to find.
We won't be leaving Tennessee til July 8.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:19 PM   #12

If it fits into your plans you could go west on the OH turnpike from I75 over to US31. St Joseph, South Haven, and Saugatuk are all nice places. There are a lot of state parks along Lake MI but you need a vehicle sticker for both your MH and your toad that will get you into any state park in MI
Old 03-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #13

So... if I understand you correctly you want to first stay in the southern part of Michigan then move to the Traverse City area, then up to the Mackinaw City area.

For the lower area stay between Holland and Manistee. You're going to need reservations as the coast is a very, very busy time in summer. September/October would be better.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:23 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Sunnybrook RV Resort in South Haven is very nice and priced accordingly. From there you can visit Saugatuck, Holland, South Haven and more.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote