RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Western Virginia CG Recommendations?

I love my little spot in Luray (KOA) but try to avoid going back to the same campgrounds to continue exploring new destinations. I'm looking for recommendations on the western side of Virginia for a 40ft Class A MH with great scenery, FHU, etc.

Thanks
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Deer Creek in Galax VA. A beautiful high end ownership park, four miles from the Blue Ridge.
2020 Jeep Wrangler toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #3

Check out the small park in Fries. Beautiful and peaceful. We booked a week last fall. Stayed 3 weeks. Left and came back 10 days later.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:14 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you for the suggestions. Anything more central on the west side as I have to head to Winchester towards the end of the week.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:31 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I remember camping at Natural Chimneys as a kid. I haven't been there in years though. So, I can't vouch for the current condition of the park.

It's just south and west of Bridgewater, and probably about 1.5 hours south of Winchester.
MrsSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:44 AM   #6

Neal, have you been to Candy Hill in Winchester? Been there a few times and was pretty nice. Are you going to the International Rally this year?
Old 05-13-2018, 08:19 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
Neal, have you been to Candy Hill in Winchester? Been there a few times and was pretty nice. Are you going to the International Rally this year?
I'm headed to Candy Hill for the VA NKK rally this thur-sun but I'm leaving Monday for a few days camping prior. Just trying to find something north of 64 for an intermediate stop. I stayed at Luray KOA last fall and really liked it but try to continue exploring new destinations.

I don't plan to head to Gillette this year. I'm doing a 2 month'er starting June 1 starting with Newmar for end of year warranty then to Bar Harbor, ME then west across great lakes to the Oshkosh WI airshow.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:17 PM   #8

Ok, we are in Dearborn, MI winding our way to Gillette. Then on to west coast for another 3 months before we head back to Gaffney and then home. Safe travels.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Western Virginia CG Recommendations?

We’ve stayed at the KOA at Lynchburg a couple of times. It’s actually out of Lynchburg at the top of the mountain on 130 between Lynchburg and Glasgow. Right at the Parkway.
Sorry just read you’re looking for north of 64!
I need to brush up on my reading skills.
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:35 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
Ok, we are in Dearborn, MI winding our way to Gillette. Then on to west coast for another 3 months before we head back to Gaffney and then home. Safe travels.
Sounds like a great trip. I'll be following your footsteps somewhat in June after Newmar as I head Newmar to Bar Harbor Maine then across great lakes to Oshkosh Air Show.

Safe travels...
Old 05-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I'm headed to Candy Hill for the VA NKK rally this thur-sun but I'm leaving Monday for a few days camping prior.
Ok, after reading this, I looked up the info for the rally. We're want-to-be Newmar owners. We've booked a site at Candy Hill for this weekend in hopes of meeting some of you between your events. The possible opportunity to talk with multiple Newmar owners was too good to pass up.

Even if that doesn't happen, we'll have a good time. It's another opportunity to camp.
MrsSquid is offline   Reply With Quote