Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2007, 01:52 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
What are your favorite campground/resorts in south Florida? And why?

Your info will be a great help to those of us who are planning future trips. Especially since the State parks are getting harder and harder to get into.

Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2007, 01:52 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
What are your favorite campground/resorts in south Florida? And why?

Your info will be a great help to those of us who are planning future trips. Especially since the State parks are getting harder and harder to get into.

Nancy
Old 02-04-2007, 02:59 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nancy,
The question is more difficult than first glance would indicate. There are so many outstanding places to stay. If I had to name my top pick in South Florida (from Lake Okeechobee South?) I'd say the winner is Sunshine Key RV Resort & Marina. It is located at mile marker 39, on Sunshine Key. It is an ENCORE property. 39 miles from Key West, beach or heated pool, clubhouse and activities, constant sea breeze, large marina and plenty to do in the area make it a great spot to stay.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:01 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
THANK YOU GARY. Just the type of information I am looking for. I am sure it will help others as well. My husband and I are debating a permantent winter home in an RV resort or just compete with the market each year and rent a spot. Both have advantages.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:56 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Nancy,
Sorry you did not get more responses. Now that I know you are trying to decide to buy or rent, that is somewhat different question. I am trying to make a downsizing decision. I have toured many of the Central to South Flroida properties. If you can tell me your lifestyle preferences (tranqulity or party, top resort amenities needed, near the beach or not, the importance of local area things to do, stuff like that). Do you want to live in your rig or have a house on the same lot? The price range you are consifering is good to know. Have you toured any resorts or properties. If so, which ones. I do not want to be redundant. If you prefer you can PM me. I will not return to iRV2 until Friday, 02/09.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:11 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Well.... we are not sure. The husband says it would take a lot to convince him to purchase another home. We leave Feb 10 for a month near Ocala. We will visit The Villages also The Great Outdoors Resort near Titusville. We spent the last two winters at Victoria Palms in Texas and know the cost in that area. So South Texas is not out of the question. My concern is how crowded Florida is now and how it will continue to grow. The flip side is that in 10 years a new crop of baby boomers will be ready for their piece of heaven and will have to "buy" if they want a guaranteed spot. I favor South Florida because the temperatures are consistently better than Texas and Arizona is too cold for me. I have a condition called Reynaud's which makes anything below 60 degrees very unconfortable. I just went out to the camper without a coat and my fingers are still tingleing. Of course is is about 30 now.

I like lots of things to do, but golf is not one of them. Neither of us golf. So we are not impressed by how many golf courses they have.
N
Old 02-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
The Villages is a great place for those wanting a stick house in a Disney World type environment for the +55 crowd (this is a compliment). My son-in-law's parents live there. I have been there many times. The place is huge. One regular car and a golf car (don't call it a golf cart, people get upset) is all you need. No RVs allowed so you would need to store your rig at an off site location. I was impressed with the Villages, it is not for me and my house on wheels.

TGO is an outstanding RV community. It has been around for a couple of decades. When you go there you will see many different types of lots that accomodate RV's in different ways. From a pad on a lot all the way to a large home with an enclosed garage for the RV and everything in between. The East coast of Florida is expensive and you will find the prices at TGO to be about the third highest in the state. The Ft. Myers area and very South Eastern Florida (Palm Beach County and South) are the highest.

Your right about the boomers. But, the only reason to buy property is because you will enjoy using it.

Your husband may know but I say it anyway, the planned 55+ RV communities have monthly dues that take care of the outside maintenance. Usually it includes anything that grows. Some include more. As you visit places understand what the monthly dues include.

With you being sensitive to the cold, it would be no fun staying in a North or Central Florida development. My recommendation is for you to look at anything South of route 70. Route 70 is an East/West state road. There are plenty of choices. I would say 70+ choices. Around Lake Okeechobee there are many different CG Resorts. One that I will mention is Crooked Hook RV Resort (863-983-7112), on Rt 80 just East of Clewiston. At the South end of Lake Okeechobee. I have not stayed there, but driven by many times. The place looks up scale and well maintained.

Another example I think you will be pleased with is Cross Creek Country Club & RV Resort 863-494-7300 in Arcadia. It is about 4 miles North of the intersection of Rt. 70 and 17. It is just off and to the West of Rt 17. It is a rental community (1 year for about $2500 + electric). Gravel for the RV and a concrete pad for the people. Nice up scale community, very clean and very well maintained. I have been there and I would stay there again. Good luck and let me know if I can help.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:02 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nancy,
Because you will be in the central Florida area, consider looking at the CRF communities
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Lake Ashton 866-322-5522
<LI>Deer Creek 800-424-2931
<LI>Mt. Olive Shores North 888-667-6676[/list]These properties are in the Lakeland/Lake Wales area. All advertise RV/Motorcoach Pads, Portes and & Homes. These communities each have their own personalities. The differences will be obvious when you see them. CRF does a good job building for the RV way of life. Initally I hesitated to recommend them because of your sensitivity to cold. However, if you are going to visit GTO, then these properties will provide a good way to compare price/value.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:42 AM   #9

Hi Bill and Nancy, the area we like is just north of Lake Okeechobee on highway 27, at Sebring. Sebring is about 80 miles to either coast. There are at least 2 upscale 55+ RV parks that are very active. There is also a number of not as expensive parks but still decent. It is not as busy as the coastal areas and a lot cheaper. All amenities are available and they are close to the city of Sebring. It might get cool but not cold and even then only for a couple of days. Good luck in your search, if you want more info. just ask or PM me.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:26 PM   #10

We've been away w/o the internet so this reply is quite late. Novi mentioned Sebring. We just returned from Tanglewood Outback in Sebring. The rv section (Outback) is large with large sites. Could be more landscaping with trees, etc. But it is clean! The houses which comprise most of Tanglewoods are very nice, well landscaped, with some having rv ports. We are not buyers, but were quite impressed with this large, well established development. Charlie
Old 03-10-2007, 03:58 PM   #11

Take a look at Riverside RV Resort in Port Charlotte -- lots of things to do, etc. during the Winter months.

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:17 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Thank you all so much for responding. We just returned from our winter in Arizona and with fuel prices so high what we spent on diesel can go towards Florida's higher prices.

We drove 10,043 miles (winter 2008) and the diesel cost us $3000. Florida is a lot closer for us.
Nancy
Old 04-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #13

Riverside is outstanding because of the manager, staff, and the "winter residents". The park does not have "park models". As a result, all residents have similar interests. The list of activities is extensive.
jojolima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to ggbanks
Hi Nancy & Bill, Just saw your post for info on sites in Florida. As you know we bought a site at Elite Resorts at Citrus Valley. It's a Great New Rv Resort with new city sewage & water, 100 amp elec, WiFi & cable. It's convienent to Disney and many restaurants & much more. We love it here. Really good prices NOW! Call us 757-544-6710.
ggbanks is offline   Reply With Quote