Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2019, 04:57 PM   #57

For us, the campground isn't the destination unless we are going to a State Park. So, like most everybody

A vacancy
Pull thru site
Fairly level
Full hook ups
Clean
Fairly Quiet
Laundry
Clear Sky for Dish or Cable (though not a deal breaker, we carry DVDs with us)
We travel with our two Chihuahuas and I prefer enough grass to put up our dog fence (but that's not a deal breaker.) It's for their protection and our peace of mind.
I also prefer to book online but that's not a deal breaker either.

I keep a database or list in MS OneNote on my computer of all the places we've stayed, amenities, cleanliness, ease of getting to, and likelihood of staying again. I also list area attractions. I have one for hotels and one for Campgrounds.

I rate them as to whether it's just an over-nighter or if I'd stay more than one
day

Hope this helps.
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2019, 05:07 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
For US the CG is NOT the destination so don't care if it has pool, club house, sponsored activities, spa etc.
Clean, maintained CG that we can park our RV to sleep in at night.
During the daytime...out & about exploring the local area/sights
Ditto! Could care less about WiFi, cable tv etc. If I wanted all that I’d just stay home. I’ve found many times the attitude of the person on the phone is directly reflected in what you find at the RV park.
halibut214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:14 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
"The first thing we look for is a vacancy! ��" Times 2.

Try to find a vacancy anywhere in Florida in January...You'll soon understand.

I'd like to suggest that you rent an RV for a week or so before you buy one.

You will learn many things about an RV that can only learned by using one.

Layout being the most important.

Are you planning to travel around the country or just stay in Florida?
I just checked with my favorite park in Palm Springs, CA. Booked solid until the winter season of 2021-22! Two years from now.

Washington State Parks are almost impossible to book in the summer. They have a nine-month in advance reservation system, and you better be online at 7:59 AM on several laptops, exactly nine months before the date you want.

It's getting very tough....
Old 04-07-2019, 05:16 PM   #60

There are a lot of campground's in state and national parks. Most of the state parks are clean and well maintained and have security. They are usually packed because they are usually cheaper. We have passport America.. You can usually get a spot for half off a night or up to a week with this pass. If you're disabled or over 62 you can get an America the beautiful pass for use in the national parks and campground's. You can get in parks for free and the national parks that have campground's you can get a spot for 10 to 12.50 a night. Everybody pretty much hit most of the things you should look for. Also read the reviews is helpful. if you are going to stay for 2 weeks or longer it's cheaper to pay monthly if they offer it Florida is going to be tough to get a place. They stay booked up and are usually cheaper during the summer. A laundry mat is definitely a plus if they maintain them . For us clean cg and level places are great. A lot of parks squeeze as many spots as possible and are very cramped. We bought our first RV 6 months ago and our main concern is level and spacious. With a c class we look for mainly pull thru spots because we are in the learning process too. Good luck!
Stevemarshia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:24 PM   #61

Jayco Owners Club
Since you are in Florida, try Fort Wilderness at Disney World. It is a first class park. Many folks I have spoken with during our stays never go to any Disney theme parks - they just enjoy the camping. Hiking/biking trails, animals, good restaurant, nightly entertainment. If you like live entertainment, the HoopDeDoo Review right in the campground.
thenovaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:26 PM   #62

Thor Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This
Old 04-07-2019, 05:32 PM   #63

In terms of spacing between sites overall layout and the surrounding area, Google Earth is your friend.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:49 PM   #64
RCC

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've traveled in a Class A for 18+ years. When searching for a "one night stay," I use CampgroundReviews dot com. Once in this site, click on the state, then the city, and all campgrounds within the area will be listed. I scroll down just a little, then tell the list to "Sort by Highest Rated." Now the list will be displayed with the highest rated at the top. I then look at each for full hookups, pull-throughs, etc. This site also has links the actual website of each campground you're considering. I rely on the reviews of each place and, once I've reached my destination, I'm careful to revisit this site to add my own reviews of each of the places we've stayed. I've found CampgroundReviews to be very reliable!
RCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:56 PM   #65

We have been RVing since 1978 and enjoyed every mile of it. When the location is not the destination, we often stay in road side stops, truck stops, WalMart/Sam's Club parking lot, or similar place. About every 4th night, we stop at a KOA or Good Sams to dump and refill our water and make sure the batteries are charged full. And a good long hot shower helps. Make reservations well ahead of time when the campground is the destination. If you get to an area you don't know, stop at a truck stop or WalMart and scope out campgrounds in the toad. Happy trails and have fun.
fergy1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:04 PM   #66

We are full timers, and with some planning and moderate effort, have never really had problems finding spots, including Florida and California in the winter.

If just passing through an area, in order of importance, space enough for our RV and toad, 30-50amp power, clear sky for satellite, cell signal for internet, water & sewer. Only the first one is a deal breaker.

If staying for a while, space for us, full hookups, clear sky for satellite, cell signal for internet, some park amenities. We aren't too picky about our neighbors or park appearance, although nicer is always better.

As you travel, you will learn what you value in various parks, you just need to get out there and try it. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:29 PM   #67

It DEPENDS!!! Now we are at a favorite CG on the FL/GA border. ZERO amenities. FHU pull-thru. We do not camp but explore. We will be here 2 weeks. Those that never move are required to keep the site neat and clean. Units must be kept clean and in good repair as well.

We have been spending 2-3 months in FL every winter. Again, FHU pull-thru with a little space. We like to spend 2 years in one place and then someplace new. Near either coast reservations are easy if you make them before you leave your site. New reservations-- get on the list or call in April.

MOST snowbirds want to be south of Tampa as it is warmer. North of Tampa winter prices are lower and rise in summer as it is too hot for many south of there. Where we stayed last 2 years was sold. New owners raised the rent over $500 monthly for winter months. Regular snowbirds have been searching. Inland prices are much lower unless near Disney. Panhandle to south coasts can see winter prices $1800 = $3000 monthly.

SO~~~ we (actually my wife) decided it was time for a change. We took a ride to an area we had been before and had seen a new CG. It too is on the Gulf Coast of AL and 3 months costs slightly more than a FL month. Lots of amenities here too.

We don't use a dog run as have seen sickness move from pet to pet. We don't use CG bathrooms or showers, have them. We also have a washer and a dryer so don't need that either.

What I have noticed when calling for reservations~~ many times only Sunday thru Thursday is available. They rent for the weekend and leave no room for those that want a week or more.

When going to FL now we will attempt to stay on a military CG 1st.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:35 PM   #68

First thing to think about is your destination and as you said you wanted to travel around Florida but please be prepared because in the winter season forget trying to stay at State Parks all site are taken by Snowbirds and most private parks are near full or they are not a five star resort. I think the FDEP Park department has a unwritten policy of Florida RV-ers can only use state park campgrounds in the hot summer months. You would think that the state would set aside a few sites for Florida RV-ers in season since tax payers support the park system but no. I know for a fact that some other states (New Jersey as an example) surcharge out of state RV's $10 per night above the standard fee. Right now my wife and I are on the road with our motorhome staying at a COE park in Florida and we were lucky to get 5 nights and we were also lucky to get a site at a state park but at the end of April when the snowbirds head back north. All in all plan on being frustrated during winter season in Florida. To a point I can see why the snow birds want to get out of the Great White North but why the whole winter season... try Texas or Arizona for a change please. Sorry to rain on your parade but that's just the way it is !!!!!!!
Walt Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #69

Welcome to the world of RV camping. Just in case you are not familiar with them, I would recommend checking out the "Campground Reviews" website. What to look for, other than location, is very much a personal taste thing. So, I use that website to dial in a few campgrounds and then read the reviews to see if issues are mentioned repeatedly like noise, close neighbors or unfriendly staff. The website also gives basic info such as what amenities are offered, is it big rig friendly and price. Plus, it has the link to the campground's own site. One last thing, if you find a campground, but see some negative feedback, be sure to check out the dates of the feedback and see if it seems to have just been during a particular time frame and perhaps has now been fixed. Happy camping!
New to this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:15 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
We actually have three beag's!
We have 3 cocker Spaniels, Seems like a lot of places say only two dogs, ever have any problem with that? We just got our first Rv because of having the dogs.
Radicaltimes is offline   Reply With Quote